Tang External Parasite ID and Treatment

MarsReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to a nasty spot on my tang. He's been in the tank 2 months, all livestock in my tank have been QT'd through Dr. Reef. Nothing has been added in the tank since the tang. When I added the tang he was also added with an Anthias and some cardinal fish.

Can someone help me ID what this might be and what treatment would be? Due to extensive rock work any treatment will likely need to be in tank. Tank is all LPS corals with fish and inverts.

IMG_0175.jpg

Video Link:

Thanks in advance

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Though you could try Ruby Rally Pro, there really isn't a great 'in tank' treatment. I can't tell - is it a flat 'injury' - or is something physically attached to the fish? If indeed it is a parasite, prazipro can be used in the display.

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you send pictures or video to Seachem Support they would be the ones to ask they are very helpful

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though you could try Ruby Rally Pro, there really isn't a great 'in tank' treatment. I can't tell - is it a flat 'injury' - or is something physically attached to the fish? If indeed it is a parasite, prazipro can be used in the display.
The small extension you see is flapping around like a worm, so I assume its something attached. He doesn't stay still long so its hard to tell for sure

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Woke up this morning to a nasty spot on my tang. He's been in the tank 2 months, all livestock in my tank have been QT'd through Dr. Reef. Nothing has been added in the tank since the tang. When I added the tang he was also added with an Anthias and some cardinal fish.

Can someone help me ID what this might be and what treatment would be? Due to extensive rock work any treatment will likely need to be in tank. Tank is all LPS corals with fish and inverts.

IMG_0175.jpg

Video Link:

Thanks in advance

Injury with a skin tag. Seachem neoplex best IF it becomes infected otherwise keep an eye on it for now

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small extension you see is flapping around like a worm, so I assume its something attached. He doesn't stay still long so its hard to tell for sure
Are you sure it’s a worm and not a skin tag from an injury?

The only parasite that looks like this is the very rare species of female copepod whose egg cases can extend through the skin out into the water. I’ve never seen those on a tang - mostly on firefish, puffers and some gamefish species.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it’s a worm and not a skin tag from an injury?

The only parasite that looks like this is the very rare species of female copepod whose egg cases can extend through the skin out into the water. I’ve never seen those on a tang - mostly on firefish, puffers and some gamefish species.
Yeah I took a closer look and it could be a skin tag. I’m going to keep an eye on him for a few days before doing anything. Hopefully it heals over without issue.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back