Taking ALL biofiltration out of my filter?

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I recentley took all my bioballs out of my tank and replaced them with Seachem Matrix. However I have been given advice to get rid of matrix AND purigen and just run cheato, carbon and filter floss. Is this a good idea? I have live rock. But I figured without matrix and purigen my filter would barely filtrate anything?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a fine experiment. I’m not sure why someone would say remove Purigen and replace with GAC as they mostly do the same thing: binding organics.

FWIW, I’m not sure most folks benefit from biomedia.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a fine experiment. I’m not sure why someone would say remove Purigen and replace with GAC as they mostly do the same thing: binding organics.

Im trying to lower nitrates and get rid of GHA. SO I'm starting a fuge but ive been advised to take my bio filtration out AND my purigen and just run fuge with GAC and filter floss. Should I do this? Or should I leave everything in and add my cheato?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Say I do do this will this cause a crash?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have live rock, then the biomedia isn't needed... removing it won't crash your tank. purigen is fine to use.

On my AIO, I use carbon and floss.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have live rock, then the biomedia isn't needed... removing it won't crash your tank. purigen is fine to use.

On my AIO, I use carbon and floss.
Interesting... So we are COMPLETELY sure it wont crash it I am not in the mood for that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to lower nitrates and get rid of GHA. SO I'm starting a fuge but ive been advised to take my bio filtration out AND my purigen and just run fuge with GAC and filter floss. Should I do this? Or should I leave everything in and add my cheato?

Nutrients at any level are not generally a good way to control algae.

What is nitrate now?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... So we are COMPLETELY sure it wont crash it I am not in the mood for that.

All it does is provide a place for bacteria which all your rock and sand also do. I think they just use it to have something to sell and make $$.

You removed all your bioballs and added sterile new matrix your tank didn't crash.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients at any level are not generally a good way to control algae.

What is nitrate now?
Not sure haven't done a test in a bit. They were off the charts but about a week or two ago I was able to cut them and they were at 50. I wanna get them to 15. What would you reccomend I do in this situation? I'm also trying to put mesh in my Tidal filter to keep cheato in it.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All it does is provide a place for bacteria which all your rock and sand also do. I think they just use it to have something to sell and make $$.

You removed all your bioballs and added sterile new matrix your tank didn't crash.
I removed my bioballs at diffrent times. About a handfull every week-two weeks etc.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large enough Fuge could eliminate the need for biological media as well as amount of corals but other than bacteria stealing nutrients the plants and coral would otherwise use I can't see a reason one needs to remove it. Assuming nutrients contact corals first then fuge then does it matter there's bacteria to compete with the other two? I'd consider it a backup and why I'd keep it.

Know this much. Ran experiments without coral where pumice (matrix) constituted 25% of tank volume and carbon dosed without a skimmer or other mechanical means of removing the bacterial population explosion expected from carbon dosing. Fact is I often overdosed and saw little if any detriment due to it. Was because of the biological media? Don't know but anecdotally I'll continue this process.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my bioballs at diffrent times. About a handfull every week-two weeks etc.

can do that if you want and makes ya feel better. I kept matrix in my sump and removed it all in one go all the time to use in quarantine tanks. I did this with live rock all the time too. My display has sufficient rock.

:)

I doubt it is causing algae issues but I suppose it could be trapping crap depending where it is and flow. I am sure pods like matrix.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can do that if you want and makes ya feel better. I kept matrix in my sump and removed it all in one go all the time to use in quarantine tanks. I did this with live rock all the time too. My display has sufficient rock.

:)
Guessing nothing happened with it?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing nothing happened with it?

No, I don't even have my sump hooked up to my tank atm lol So no filtration outside of the displays live rock.

I moved and took everything down and didn't hook up the sump yet. Been that way since July.

I guess that means I removed my fuge/rock/biomedia and skimmer all in one go :) My macro and refugium are hanging out in a plastic tub in the garage.

I will eventually get around to it...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure haven't done a test in a bit. They were off the charts but about a week or two ago I was able to cut them and they were at 50. I wanna get them to 15. What would you reccomend I do in this situation? I'm also trying to put mesh in my Tidal filter to keep cheato in it.

I’d recommend a new measurement first. Macroalgae and organic carbon dosing are good methods.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do that with my bioballs but now people are telling me to take out the ENTIRE matrix should I?

can you post a picture of the tank and its creatures?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back