Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds fun and I am a bit jealous! Any pics of the sumps and plumbing?
It's nothing fancy. Just grey plastic boxes as sumps :) These:
https://www.runelandhs.se/miljohant...gbox-670-liter-tat-med-medar-1200x1000x790-mm
I will take some more pictures next week!

About the plumbing, we are really no experts. Even if we get paid doing it :D We can't afford professionals coming in doing these kind of stuff, so we have to do it ourselves. Nowadays we're more experienced, but I don't think we're doing it the correct way. But it usually works okay anyway.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you engineering the new systems yourselves or is somebody helping out? Like Ted or somebody?
We're doing it ourselves. The acrylic tanks we ordered from Plastmästar'n, a local company usually not doing aquariums. The rest we put together ourselves.

If you mean Bioted, he is our consultant for the procurement for the large acrylic windows and waterproofing the three large tanks in the new Aquarium. But we can't afford letting him build small tanks for us ;)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspected he would be involved in some way :)
Such a dream to be part of a build like yours, cant wait for our first reefmeet there :)
Yes, Ted is a great guy :) I'm glad we got him into the project somewhere.

I really miss our reefmeets! I'm hoping we can do something before we open the new Aquarium in 2021, in smaller scale. So nice to have a bunch of aquarists visiting! It'll also be great fun planning the reefmeets we will have after opening. Might be a good "lecture hall" in front of the 400000L reef tank :) I want to have a movable projector screen in front of a part of the large window so we can do lectures/talks there.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a drawing over the temporary Aquarium. The small tanks are not in here, just the larger one and their sumps.
With the return pipes:
IMG_7307.JPG

And here with the overflows from tanks to the sumps.
IMG_7306.JPG

Not very complicated, but I needed to draw it to find the easiest way to do it :)

The three 2,5 x 0,8 x 0,4 m stands are almost ready for water now. The 4,05m stand is our two current propagation tanks, which will be moved in last.

PowerPoint is great stuff! :D

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tristren

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice @Sallstrom !

I have recently been using Google Sheets instead of Excel. I can use it on the PC or any device that way. A little less customizable than Excel, but works well.

I have my main log
View attachment 981911

Maintenance schedule
View attachment 981912

Chemistry and dosing data
View attachment 981913
View attachment 981914

And several other sheets for expenditures, dimensions and charts.
You can also use Excel Online. It's free and has the same advantages.
The good thing about using an online version (Google or Microsoft) is that it is all backed up in case something happens to your computer. I hope you have a backup of your files @Sallstrom ?

I have bee using the Apex journal for tracking additions and changes. Now that I've switched to GHL I'll move all of that over to Excel.

In the meantime what I have done is used the Profilux Email tool, with some other steps, and gotten it to keep this sheet up to date with my parameters:

ReefTankXLS_Screen_Cap.JPG

I'm going to set up a nice dashboard once I have time. Just for fun it will have the "local weather" of the tank as well. So far I've built this to give me the Sunrise/Sunset (I'm using seasonal lighting).

ReefTankXLS_Screen_Cap2.JPG

Though actually I just realized I have to build in Daylight Savings Time....

Cheers,
Tony

Tristren

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice @Sallstrom !

I have recently been using Google Sheets instead of Excel. I can use it on the PC or any device that way. A little less customizable than Excel, but works well.

I have my main log
View attachment 981911

Maintenance schedule
View attachment 981912

Chemistry and dosing data
View attachment 981913
View attachment 981914

And several other sheets for expenditures, dimensions and charts.
Very cool btw. Out of curiosity, what's the DB column in the main log, and what are the numbers in those first three columns at the top (representing current info?)?

Cheers,
Tony

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use Excel Online. It's free and has the same advantages.
The good thing about using an online version (Google or Microsoft) is that it is all backed up in case something happens to your computer. I hope you have a backup of your files @Sallstrom ?

I have bee using the Apex journal for tracking additions and changes. Now that I've switched to GHL I'll move all of that over to Excel.

In the meantime what I have done is used the Profilux Email tool, with some other steps, and gotten it to keep this sheet up to date with my parameters:

View attachment 1003963

I'm going to set up a nice dashboard once I have time. Just for fun it will have the "local weather" of the tank as well. So far I've built this to give me the Sunrise/Sunset (I'm using seasonal lighting).

View attachment 1003964
Though actually I just realized I have to build in Daylight Savings Time....

Cheers,
Tony
Cool! Good idea to log the weather as well. Our temp goes up in the museum during the summer, so that would be a good thing for us to keep track of.
Do the tanks lights follow the season?

For some tanks we just keep the GHL data files for pH and temp. I have to admit that pH and temp are not logged so well as KH and nutrients at the moment(in "my" tanks). My colleague (the scientist) took over the responsibility for our bamboo shark tank log a year ago, he's collecting all the data possible :) So we try out different ways to log.

We use Dropbox which has some kind of backup. We also save everything we got on Dropbox now and then on another database.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the temporary Aquarium got it's first saltwater! 500 litres from the bamboo shark reef. We didn't have more newly mixed saltwater today. It was a while since we used tha "catacombs" under the floor for saltwater mixing, so I think we will only use the regular 1000L mixing station. Too lazy to clean out the tank under the floor :)
So this will take a couple of days.

IMG_7350.JPG
IMG_7353.JPG

And here are the sumps!
IMG_7354.JPG

We try to keep it as simple as possible. The goal is to keep corals and fish alive and happy :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We try to keep it as simple as possible. The goal is to keep corals and fish alive and happy :)
What are you going to do for flow in these tanks? Will it only be the flow through the sump or do you plan on adding additional flow?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the temporary Aquarium got it's first saltwater! 500 litres from the bamboo shark reef. We didn't have more newly mixed saltwater today. It was a while since we used tha "catacombs" under the floor for saltwater mixing, so I think we will only use the regular 1000L mixing station. Too lazy to clean out the tank under the floor :)
So this will take a couple of days.

View attachment 1005224 View attachment 1005225

And here are the sumps!
View attachment 1005226

Looking good! I know a lot of people that would love those acrylic tanks and, um, I'm one of them! ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you going to do for flow in these tanks? Will it only be the flow through the sump or do you plan on adding additional flow?
I want one large Jebao stream pump in the back corner, for waves. Blowing along the backside. And a smaller stream pump in the opposite corner, blowing along the front side. So it'll be a one way circulation(around the tank, if you look at it from the top) but with some waves.
I think that will do, at least if we don't fill up the tank with rocks, just corals.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one large Jebao stream pump in the back corner, for waves. Blowing along the backside. And a smaller stream pump in the opposite corner, blowing along the front side. So it'll be a one way circulation(around the tank, if you look at it from the top) but with some waves.
I think that will do, at least if we don't fill up the tank with rocks, just corals.
Do you plan on putting them on a schedule to change sides to reverse the flow pattern or do you think they will be fine with it in one direction?

BRS
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I know a lot of people that would love those acrylic tanks and, um, I'm one of them! ;)
Yes, they turned out pretty good! I did the drawings ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on putting them on a schedule to change sides to reverse the flow pattern or do you think they will be fine with it in one direction?
It'll be one direction. At least for now. But if we get a good deal on pumps, switching directions would be great! :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be one direction. At least for now. But if we get a good deal on pumps, switching directions would be great! :)
I was thinking you may have intended to switch corners the pumps were in to change flow direction every couple of days.
Do you feel there is no value in that? I seem to go back and forth in my own mind if turbulent flow in one direction (typical in most reef tanks) is good or if there is real benefit to turbulent flow that alternates every few hours or days.

Corals.com

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe you can hit up Panta Rhei to donate some pumps! :eek:

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking you may have intended to switch corners the pumps were in to change flow direction every couple of days.
Do you feel there is no value in that? I seem to go back and forth in my own mind if turbulent flow in one direction (typical in most reef tanks) is good or if there is real benefit to turbulent flow that alternates every few hours or days.
I think switching directions a couple of times a day, plus pretty turbulent flow, would be great for both the corals and to stir up detritus from the bottom. It's just hard to achive without many pumps I think. In the new Aquarium I hope we can do something like that. As for now in the temporary Aquarium, we're on low budget(therefor the Jebao).
Another reason I'm planning on this type of flow is that the tanks we're using are very long compared to most display tanks. Getting good flow in tanks 2,5-6 meter long, I've found that setting pumps like the picture below is the easiest way with least number of pumps. To get some turbulence I'm using at least one wave pump in these setups.
Here's the setup from the top:

Flöde kafe.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back