Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go @Brew12. I walked all the way to the front to take a picture for you ;)

IMG_7195.JPG

And one side of the 1500L roomdevider reef
IMG_7189.JPG

And the "soft coral tank".
IMG_7192.JPG

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These sold from time to time. De Jong Marine. Wholesale $2500, retail $7000-$10,000

View attachment 972911
We could get a lot of other more fun stuff for 2500$ ;)
I've seen those at a couple of public aquariums. They are cool, but their tanks have been a bit boring (often plastic algaes).
I've seen some places breeding them now, so maybe the price will go down eventually on the Leafy Sea Dragon.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my "Special brew". It boosts corals(and algae if that what you're growing) and decreases the risk of Cyanobacteria and Dinoflagellates in low nutrients tanks. It's magic! ;)
IMG_7188.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my "Special brew". It boosts corals(and algae if that what you're growing) and decreases the risk of Cyanobacteria and Dinoflagellates in low nutrients tanks. It's magic! ;)
View attachment 973005
It's poison!!!! NUTRIENTSSS!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Nutramar Foods

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easy to say that Cream put out anything but great songs!
We tried the Cream song White room last time we rehearsed with the "Museum band" :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any video taken during that jam session?
No :) But Papparazzi-Lasse did a video from our only performance live at our Christmas party and posted on YouTube:D Another song though.

Today we've listened to Tom Petty and Greatful Dead and painted. Everything will be white!
IMG_7245.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No :) But Papparazzi-Lasse did a video from our only performance live at our Christmas party and posted on YouTube:D Another song though.

Today we've listened to Tom Petty and Greatful Dead and painted. Everything will be white!
View attachment 976345
Is this still the old cafeteria?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It's small. Will be cosy :)
No one can claim you aren't being efficient with the space!

How long before you start moving livestock?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can claim you aren't being efficient with the space!

How long before you start moving livestock?
We're waiting for the decision from the politicians. The whole rebuilding will cost a bit more than what the city agreed on the first time. Not our(the Aquarium) fault actually:)
So we won't close any of the old tanks until we know for sure. But we will start up a system in the cafeteria in a couple of weeks I think. Just to be ready if everything goes according to the first time plan.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole rebuilding will cost a bit more than what the city agreed on the first time. Not our(the Aquarium) fault actually:)
Always smart to not admit to cost overruns until after you are past the point of no return! :p

I went back and looked. This thread is almost 5 months old. It doesn't feel that it has been going on that long from this side of the screen. I'm sure you feel differently since you no longer have tourists coming through.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always smart to not admit to cost overruns until after you are past the point of no return! :p

I went back and looked. This thread is almost 5 months old. It doesn't feel that it has been going on that long from this side of the screen. I'm sure you feel differently since you no longer have tourists coming through.
For me it feels like we've been closed for a year :)
So I have to work on my patience now when the process might be delayed for a month due to that decision. Some days actually feels a bit slow, which is very unusual for me. But now we've restarted the work on the temporary Aquarium, so it'll be a lot of pipes, lights, pumps etc that need to be installed. That kind of work is always fun, building stuff!

Yes, it's a lot different without the visitors and all the other staff.

BRS
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our first Lysmata wurdemanni batch is now about two month old. We've moved the 9 survivors into another tank in the same system. They now look like the adult just smaller, dancing the same way. Really cool!
Since I don't want to take them out to take photos, this is the best I can get picture wise right now. Their tank is standing inside another tank, so not the best for photos..
IMG_7250.JPG

The diameter of the pvc pipe is 40mm. There're four shrimps in the picture.

Two new batches hatched yesterday, so hopefully we can produce more shrimps this spring.
With the "vortech larvae bucket" there hasn't been any water changes during the whole two month period. I really like this method:) (holes in the bottom, a layer of filter mat then sand - water in with an airlift)

Tastee

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true.
Might have been a bad comparison, how people treat their dogs. I hope no one got offended:)

Also true about being on your own as a reefer. 20 years ago there were a couple of books that we trusted. Now there's the forums and social media, an endless source of information. Hard to know what's good or not so good advices.

I think the dog comparison is a good counterpoint. By way of background I am in my early 50s, have had and kept dogs all my life, had basic FW tanks most of my life and been in the SW hobby for 14 months now. So still a complete SW noob.

I certainly have a different mindset to my dog than I do to my fish, corals and inverts. For my fish however in one way it’s much easier, in another it’s much harder. The easy part is that I control their environment much more tightly than I do my Cocker Spaniel Bob’s environment. So I can change that environment quickly - within limits of course.

The hard part is that I get much less feedback from the SW and FW crew than I do from Bob. Even harder if we go away as sitters would notice Bob not being happy but be completely ignorant to the other critters having a hard time. So I spend a lot more time worrying about them than I do Bob. And Bob by the way lives a very, very good life. Not spoilt but certainly pampered!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back