View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up!

I still haven't found any who eats Cyanobacteria yet though :D
Lots of stuff eats cyanobacteria. Heck, they even make fish food out of spirulina. Unfortunately, there are plenty of strains of cyano that aren't eaten by many critters :(. I wish we could find a reliable CuC member for bryopsis and whatever this crazy algae that I have is. ;Blackeye

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up!

Lots of stuff eats cyanobacteria. Heck, they even make fish food out of spirulina. Unfortunately, there are plenty of strains of cyano that aren't eaten by many critters :(. I wish we could find a reliable CuC member for bryopsis and whatever this crazy algae that I have is. ;Blackeye
Thanks you!

Yes, of course! We use both Spirulina and Synechococcus as food, both are Cyanobacteria. I meant the red slime type :)
I see a lot of Gammarus, an anphipod, in one of our refugiums which has lots of Cyanobacteria in it. But I don't know if they graze on it or just find if cozy to live there.

I can't promise(we currently doesn't have any Bryopsis to test on :)), but I would guess the collector or the long spined urchin would eat it.
I did beat Bryopsis once together with some snails and a Ctenochaetus tang. But it took some time.. Had to shorten the algae otherwise no one would graze on it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you!

Yes, of course! We use both Spirulina and Synechococcus as food, both are Cyanobacteria. I meant the red slime type :)
I see a lot of Gammarus, an anphipod, in one of our refugiums which has lots of Cyanobacteria in it. But I don't know if they graze on it or just find if cozy to live there.

I can't promise(we currently doesn't have any Bryopsis to test on :)), but I would guess the collector or the long spined urchin would eat it.
I did beat Bryopsis once together with some snails and a Ctenochaetus tang. But it took some time.. Had to shorten the algae otherwise no one would graze on it.
I purchased my long spined urchin hoping he would eat this stuff. He has no interest. My foxface and kole tang will only eat it once it is dying from other measures.

I've seen what looks like my hermit crabs feeding on one of the red slime versions. Can't say for sure if they actually ate it or not.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the rebuilding:
The engineers argue on what way the pipes will go out of the concrete and some other technicalities.
The politicians discuss whether or not they will accept the extra cost for the rebuilding(40% more)
We, the marine biologist, play around with the fish tanks and try to breed all things we can :)

What I have learned so far in this process is that trying to rush things is meaningless. It just makes me frustrated and stressed.
So therefore we have all these small projects going which we can do if the process feels slow.

To get our mood up today we started cleaning windows on the tanks. Amazing how a tank can go from looking crap to looking great just by cleaning the windows.
Here's the 10000L reef tank from above when the pumps are off.

IMG_7183.JPG

Today we also moved four small Peppermint shrimps from the larvae tank to a new tank. There are still some left in the larvae tank, a couple still haven't settled yet, and we didn't want to move them all at once. These are now about 45 days past hatch. And three-five days past settling. Almost 10mm long, but still very tiny!
This was the best picture I could get of them. There're two in the picture.
IMG_7186.JPG

The gamets we collected from the spiny sea star spawning are now small larvae(don't remember the correct name for sea star larvae right now). They are about the same size as rotifers. So cool seeing them swim around. We haven't found any info on breeding them, so we don't really know how long it takes before they settle.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get our mood up today we started cleaning windows on the tanks. Amazing how a tank can go from looking crap to looking great just by cleaning the windows.
Cleans glass to make tank look better. Takes picture from top, down, avoiding the now clean glass. ;Facepalm

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleans glass to make tank look better. Takes picture from top, down, avoiding the now clean glass. ;Facepalm
The windows on that tank wasn't all done! It's a large window. Will finish it tomorrow. No rush :rolleyes:

AquaCave Logo Banner

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the rebuilding:
The engineers argue on what way the pipes will go out of the concrete and some other technicalities.
The politicians discuss whether or not they will accept the extra cost for the rebuilding(40% more)
We, the marine biologist, play around with the fish tanks and try to breed all things we can :)

What I have learned so far in this process is that trying to rush things is meaningless. It just makes me frustrated and stressed.
So therefore we have all these small projects going which we can do if the process feels slow.

Here's the 10000L reef tank from above when the pumps are off.

View attachment 969295

Today we also moved four small Peppermint shrimps from the larvae tank to a new tank. There are still some left in the larvae tank, a couple still haven't settled yet, and we didn't want to move them all at once. These are now about 45 days past hatch. And three-five days past settling. Almost 10mm long, but still very tiny!
This was the best picture I could get of them. There're two in the picture.
View attachment 969302

The gamets we collected from the spiny sea star spawning are now small larvae(don't remember the correct name for sea star larvae right now). They are about the same size as rotifers. So cool seeing them swim around. We haven't found any info on breeding them, so we don't really know how long it takes before they settle.
Very cool

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The windows on that tank wasn't all done! It's a large window. Will finish it tomorrow. No rush :rolleyes:
You would have enjoyed your coffee more tomorrow morning had you finished the windows today! ;)

I'm not going to make a massive post in your thread but if you want another topic to satisfy your urge to write I've got one for you. Scientific names, hobby names, and how bad we are at using them. Recent example from your thread was cyanobacteria. At the hobby level it is mostly used to describe a red slime algae. We think of spirolina as something separate.
Bryopsis - Typically refers to members of the order Bryopsidales, family Bryopsidaceae, genus Bryopsis but can include other families and genus. However, if they don't have a fern like structure (which many don't) we don'call them Bryopsis.
Derbesia - Most GHA falls under the Derbesia genus but hobbyists tend to refer to Derbesia as a specific, shorter, more tightly massed species.
Dinoflagellate - Brown snotty algae in most cases. Never mind it's role in coral and that it is responsible for Marine Velvet disease.

If you biologists were as careless at throwing around terms as we hobbyists are the world would be a jumbled mess!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have enjoyed your coffee more tomorrow morning had you finished the windows today! ;)

I'm not going to make a massive post in your thread but if you want another topic to satisfy your urge to write I've got one for you. Scientific names, hobby names, and how bad we are at using them. Recent example from your thread was cyanobacteria. At the hobby level it is mostly used to describe a red slime algae. We think of spirolina as something separate.
Bryopsis - Typically refers to members of the order Bryopsidales, family Bryopsidaceae, genus Bryopsis but can include other families and genus. However, if they don't have a fern like structure (which many don't) we don'call them Bryopsis.
Derbesia - Most GHA falls under the Derbesia genus but hobbyists tend to refer to Derbesia as a specific, shorter, more tightly massed species.
Dinoflagellate - Brown snotty algae in most cases. Never mind it's role in coral and that it is responsible for Marine Velvet disease.

If you biologists were as careless at throwing around terms as we hobbyists are the world would be a jumbled mess!
That is a great topic! I'll save those ideas.
I've almost started a thread on the word "pods". I think they mean copepods. But it could be isopods. Or amphipods. Or Cephalopods, but not so often.
I'm not sure I'll dive into any subject too deep, at least not right now. I still recovering from a stressful period(not just work stuff), so I might stick to "lighter" subjects or texts. But I would really like to write more.

One thing I also want to do is to get into the subject sexual reproduction of corals. So many, including me, run coral tanks and do so much research on how to grow them. But very few have any idea on if this species have one or two sex, how they spawn, when they are sexually mature etc. I've collected some good articles and started to write some, but it's a lot to learn! So that might take some time :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still lurking, give me caffeine a wet suit and air, I will clean like a cleaning thing! ;)
The problem now is that there's no room for diving in this tank. Or maybe if you were a skinny ballet dancer, then you maybe could get in without breaking the corals :D. I'm an old centre back, I don't fit ;)

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, people do tragic things with their fish that they would not do to their dog. They just don’t realize it or make the connection. They would not throw a strange new dog with a deadly virulent disease into a small box with their beloved dog and say hey I hope your immune system can fight this off. Folks just don’t see that is kind of what they do with fish. I do not want to derail the thread, but I think it is a good comparison.

AS
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'I'm just gonna remove that colony..' This one we got too. Didn't really want to move this one yet, but it was about to fall down to the bottom of the 10000L reef tank because I wanted to move its neighbor.
IMG_3104.JPG

Acropora hyacinthus and some green staghorn Acropora.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'I'm just gonna remove that colony..' This one we got too. Didn't really want to move this one yet, but it was about to fall down to the bottom of the 10000L reef tank because I wanted to move its neighbor.
View attachment 969977
That's a pretty small chunk to be calling a colony. You are getting about as bad as a the coral vendors in the US thinking you can take a small coral like that, glue it to a manhole cover, and selling it a colony instead of a frag. :rolleyes:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem now is that there's no room for diving in this tank. Or maybe if you were a skinny ballet dancer, then you maybe could get in without breaking the corals :D. I'm an old centre back, I don't fit ;)
don't fit, that's a good one you're killing me. Sallstrom

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 969977
Show off.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is that coral, or should I say how long has it been in that tank?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is that coral, or should I say how long has it been in that tank?
It's been in this tank since May 2015 I think. Looked through some old photos. Before that it was in a propagation tank, and before that in the 1500L roomdevider reef :)
I think I got a couple of top down photos at home from 2015, I'll post if I find any!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 969977

If I could read your mind it would say, "look darling, a bouquet of coral roses, aren't they beautiful."

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back