+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Sallstrom,
Your Total Nitrogen reading was over the recommendation. What readings do you get for NO3? (I imagine you have no detectable NH3/4 NO2)
Seawater contains approximately 0.5 ppm nitrogen (dissolved inorganic nitrogen compounds without N2)

Also, I don’t understand the Total Inorganic Carbon (TIC) reading of 23.3ppm from your Triton test?

The Triton fellow describes TIC as alkalinity, yes. The ocean value is around 125ppm ?

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Sallstrom,
Your Total Nitrogen reading was over the recommendation. What readings do you get for NO3? (I imagine you have no detectable NH3/4 NO2)
Seawater contains approximately 0.5 ppm nitrogen (dissolved inorganic nitrogen compounds without N2)

Also, I don’t understand the Total Inorganic Carbon (TIC) reading of 23.3ppm from your Triton test?

The Triton fellow describes TIC as alkalinity, yes. The ocean value is around 125ppm ?

The day before I sent the tests, I measured 5 ppm nitrate in the 10000L reef tank. If you look at the pictures I posted from their homepage, I've put that value in to get the ratio NO3/Other N.
I have added KNO3 for the last month to test if the Cyanobacteria in the propagation tanks would go away if NO3 was higher. Without adding NO3 the value usually is 0-1 ppm NO3 in this tank.

I haven't measured NO2 or NH4 in four years for this tank, but I'm pretty sure those are low.

I've don't know more than Tritons set point for TIC, sorry. But I doubt that's the same thing if they suggest 27ppm and it's 125ppm in seawater. They calculate the dKH from that value, look at the pictures again and you'll see the KH. I don't think it's possible to measure TIC with a hobby test?

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Sallstrom,
The ocean value is around 125ppm ?

Do you use mg CaCO3/l as reference for alkalinity? I saw your other post about this. To use CaCO3 as reference is not the normal today. The normal is mmol/l (mekv/l) Because of the German heritage among aquarist - alkalinity is often expressed as KH and in German degree of hardness- KH 1 = app. 17.86 mg CaCO3/l 1 mekv/l = 2,8 as KH

Sincerely Lasse

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tritons ahead of the ball game.
I had ICP test done in the States. They didnt have any Carbon like testing.

No, not yet. They need to get the machines going in the US first I think. The N-DOC sample water shouldn't be too many days in the sample vials before they are tested.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not yet. They need to get the machines going in the US first I think. The N-DOC sample water shouldn't be too many days in the sample vials before they are tested.
Please check the N-DOC threads in Triton's forum here at R2R for correct info in this. I might be totally wrong :)

Corals.com
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our first attempt to breed Lysmata wurdemanni!
One of the shrimps were carrying eggs when they arrived Wednesday last week. We put this pregnant shrimp in a bucket. The bucket is fed tank water by an airlift. Water goes out through the sand and a filter mat in the bottom.
This morning the eggs had hatched! About one hundred small shrimp larvae were swimming around. At this point we removed the adult shrimp from the bucket.
We're feeding with newly hatched artemia and it looked like the larvae started to eat directly(even if the larvae is almost as small as the artemia nauplii).
IMG_6942.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the shrimps were carrying eggs when they arrived Wednesday last week. We put this pregnant shrimp in a bucket. The bucket is fed tank water by an airlift. Water goes out through the sand and a filter mat in the bottom.
This morning the eggs had hatched! About one hundred small shrimp larvae were swimming around. At this point we removed the adult shrimp from the bucket.
We're feeding with newly hatched artemia and it looked like the larvae started to eat directly(even if the larvae is almost as small as the artemia nauplii).
View attachment 920740
Fresh peppermint! Just in time for Christmas! :D;Facepalm

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 920740
Thanks for idea on rearing larvae. Cool

Top Shelf Aquatics

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 920740
That is fantastic. I sure hope a few survive.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short update.

The peppermint larvae are doing well. The grow fast! Now they look like small aliens :)
But really hard to take photos of. Will try again tomorrow. Today I'm running between meetings, emails and feeding the shrimp larvae :D

The sump for the 400000L reef tank is getting closer to a final drawing. The volume is about the same as our largest tank today, 26m3!
I was about to post a picture but I'm not sure I'm allowed to :D Soon I think it would be okey. Just want to keep my job..

Here are some corals from today
IMG_6949.JPG

blackizzz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short update.

The peppermint larvae are doing well. The grow fast! Now they look like small aliens :)
But really hard to take photos of. Will try again tomorrow. Today I'm running between meetings, emails and feeding the shrimp larvae :D

The sump for the 400000L reef tank is getting closer to a final drawing. The volume is about the same as our largest tank today, 26m3!
I was about to post a picture but I'm not sure I'm allowed to :D Soon I think it would be okey. Just want to keep my job..

Here are some corals from today
View attachment 922073
It would've been kinda hilarious if you had a 2-300L sump for this tank though ;) Can't imagine most of the equipment aren't external?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would've been kinda hilarious if you had a 2-300L sump for this tank though ;) Can't imagine most of the equipment aren't external?
We actually have two 400L sumps for our current 26000L reef. Yes, it overflows when the power goes out :D But it's a temporary solution, low budget. Works well since its a low bioload tank.

Our plan is to have two large skimmers and three smaller sand pressure filters connected to the sump. Not in line with the retur pumps. We want to be able to disconnect a filter without stopping the return pumps. All things are external except stream pumps in this system :)
And a trickle filter fed by some of the water from the overflow. Since it's about 3 meters from the overflow level to the water level in the sump, we want to use that water fall.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaCave Logo Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Innovative Marine - Made to Order
Back