Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When having large tanks changing bulbs are not always the easiest task. Thats why I'm glad we put up LEDs above the Shark tank(even if the job was a bit adventurous..)! :D

View attachment 878185
View attachment 878186

Throw back to last summer. Re-arranging the lamps above the Shark tank. Everything went well :)

The shark won't mine some of that other white meat. And I'm not talking about pork.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag station is not ready yet, but we got two old plastic sump in place at least. And since I'm not sure on what treatment we'll do for the Acroporas, we still have many options. They can be long term holding tanks with sump over flow - we pump water from the 10000L tank when we need to change water - the 10000L get new saltwater. Or just a week with treatment against AEFW and then moved to a new tank. We'll see :)
IMG_6506.JPG
IMG_6505.JPG

We're waiting for KCl for Acropora dip. As usual I'm more happy about using something that I know the ingredients in. So after seeing people on R2R use potassium as a dip for corals, I'd like to try it. If you have any tips or experiences of that kind of treatment, please share!

Today we had a meeting with a filmmaker(documentary). She wants to do a small series of the building process, our animals and our work. I'm not sure it'll happen, but it's a exciting idea. :)

The old tanks are still up and running, looking well except for algaes on the windows. We're still waiting for the floor to be fixed before we can continue building the stands in the temporary Aquarium.

Here's a mix of corals :)

IMG_6497.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag station is not ready yet, but we got two old plastic sump in place at least. And since I'm not sure on what treatment we'll do for the Acroporas, we still have many options. They can be long term holding tanks with sump over flow - we pump water from the 10000L tank when we need to change water - the 10000L get new saltwater. Or just a week with treatment against AEFW and then moved to a new tank. We'll see :)
View attachment 882261 View attachment 882262

We're waiting for KCl for Acropora dip. As usual I'm more happy about using something that I know the ingredients in. So after seeing people on R2R use potassium as a dip for corals, I'd like to try it. If you have any tips or experiences of that kind of treatment, please share!

Today we had a meeting with a filmmaker(documentary). She wants to do a small series of the building process, our animals and our work. I'm not sure it'll happen, but it's a exciting idea. :)

The old tanks are still up and running, looking well except for algaes on the windows. We're still waiting for the floor to be fixed before we can continue building the stands in the temporary Aquarium.

View attachment 882274
Those old systems still look amazing.

Have you considered giving your coral fancy names, making 1/4" frags out of them, sell them for $250 each, and fund the entire rebuild that way? :rolleyes::p

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those old systems still look amazing.

Have you considered giving your coral fancy names, making 1/4" frags out of them, sell them for $250 each, and fund the entire rebuild that way? :rolleyes::p

Thanks! :)

Yes, sometimes. I can't even guess how much $$$ we got in our tanks. But it's a lot :p
But on the other hand it's really nice to be outside the commercial part of this industry(or outside the selling side). To not think of the value when fragging a coral. To not put a price on the animals. It's luxury I know, but it's the reward after ten years of hard work keeping the corals happy and growing.
The last years we've spent under 500$ on corals a year. Just bought a couple of new species now and then. Most of our new species comes from hobbyists I think, leftovers from frag swaps on our coral symposiums, or just as donations.

But I can admit, if someone else took care of the paperwork, and the money got back to us in the Aquarium for buying new fun stuff, sure I would do 100 frags and sell ;)
I don't know about fancy names though. That's where I draw the line :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my idea won't work then. Green Acro sells for $15. Call that same frag a GTB Mighty Hulk Acro and you are good for at least $200!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my idea won't work then. Green Acro sells for $15. Call that same frag a GTB Mighty Hulk Acro and you are good for at least $200!
I seen that on those US auctions! I watched through a couple of pages and were amazed that such small pieces of corals could be sold for so much money :eek:

I'm old fashioned and going the other way, trying to figure out the right Latin names :p

It would be easier if we were a private owned aquarium, then we could just sell anything we want. Now we have a lot of extra rules to be fair competition to the shops in the area etc.

ksed

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 882261 View attachment 882262

View attachment 882274
Here is a link of a product that I have been using for coral dip. It’s potassium salts.
As a starting point follow their directions as I believe all it is potassium chloride.
Here is the link below.
https://www.polyplab.com/products/reef-primer

Top Shelf Aquatics

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm old fashioned and going the other way, trying to figure out the right Latin names :p
Ohh!!! I think you are on to something!!!!
Green Acro = $15
GTB Mighty Hulk = $200
GTB Hulkoris Potentior Acroporae = $500

I'm going to be rich!!! ;Greedy

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! :)

Yes, sometimes. I can't even guess how much $$$ we got in our tanks. But it's a lot :p
But on the other hand it's really nice to be outside the commercial part of this industry(or outside the selling side). To not think of the value when fragging a coral. To not put a price on the animals. It's luxury I know, but it's the reward after ten years of hard work keeping the corals happy and growing.
The last years we've spent under 500$ on corals a year. Just bought a couple of new species now and then. Most of our new species comes from hobbyists I think, leftovers from frag swaps on our coral symposiums, or just as donations.

But I can admit, if someone else took care of the paperwork, and the money got back to us in the Aquarium for buying new fun stuff, sure I would do 100 frags and sell ;)

I'll remind you, we had a conversation early last year, maybe a silent auction on frags? I see million$, :p

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Lasse, I'm lost on this one. Why are you trying to make a cyano bacteria reactor?
Here we are company Algagen , they sell Synechoccoccus sp Caribbean ,to culture. I'm getting some soon. When budget permits. Good idea :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Lasse, I'm lost on this one. Why are you trying to make a cyano bacteria reactor?
He talks about the phytoplanktonic cyanobacteria Synechococcus. Good food for filter feeders :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He talks about the phytoplanktonic cyanobacteria Synechococcus. Good food for filter feeders :)
Is there something about this particular cyano that makes it either easier to cultivate or more nutritious for filter feeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aqua SD
Back