Sump Stand Height

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be starting my sump room/fish room this weekend and want to build a stand for the sump. My tanks stand is going to be 36" high and the tank is 25" tall, so a little over 5' total.

Ideally I'd like to build the sump stand to 24" tall for easier maintenance and cleaning, shorter plumbing runs, and extra storage underneath (maybe for an ATO tank under the stand and dosing tanks). The sump is 18" tall so top of sump will be 42". Would this cause any issues with the overflow draining? Top of sump will be about 10" lower than the bottom of the overflow.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that shouldn't cause any issues with overflow draining, but I would have potential concern with space between top of sump and bottom of stand for access and getting equipment in/out

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that shouldn't cause any issues with overflow draining, but I would have potential concern with space between top of sump and bottom of stand for access and getting equipment in/out
The sump won’t be under the tank, it will be in a separate room behind the tank. My main concern was just water not draining correctly with only a couple inches of fall from the bottom of the over flow and the top of the sump.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump won’t be under the tank, it will be in a separate room behind the tank. My main concern was just water not draining correctly with only a couple inches of fall from the bottom of the over flow and the top of the sump.
got it, sounds like you're good to go then! if possible maybe go with a diagonal run down?

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it, sounds like you're good to go then! if possible maybe go with a diagonal run down?
I was going to 45 to the sump and then 45 down into it. Sump will be right behind the tank and inlets to the sump are on the same side as the over flow. Over all plumbing run will be around 20" from over flow to the sump inlets.

Returns will have a longer run but that will give me space for a manifold mounted to the wall and a UV mounted to the wall. Still trying to figure out the return plumbing with 2 pumps to make it clean. Thinking one can run a manifold for reactors and chato tumbling and the other can run the UV with a branch line. Have 2 returns drilled so each will have its own return or I might run the plumbing through the canopy for one of the pumps and down on the end I want to keep power head free.

Its an 8' tank but its set up to be a peninsula with one of the side panels open for viewing.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back