Sump Help

jkv77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Red Sea Reefer 525XL. I have never done a sump before so I am confused. I have the Red Sea Skimmer and pump. I plan on using the sump that came with the setup. Where does the skimmer go? The pump? Down the road I’d like to add a refugium…. Where does that go? Where do the bio balls or live rock go? And there’s a top off reservoir???? I don’t think the directions are helpful at all. If any one has pictures and/or a diagram that would be helpful. I’m so lost right now.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on layout,it generally goes.
1st stage- (where the water drops into your sump) it'll work for your heaters but otherwise you don't want any other equipment in here as the water level is generally the highest place in your sump. It can be a good spot for a refugium in a sump that is tight on space.
2nd stage - (the largest space) is where you want your skimmer/reactor(s) possibly heaters go.
Following that there is often a bubble trap incorporated which is often 2 or 3 panes of glass requiring the flow of water to travel over and under to keep the bubbles from entering the tank
The final stage is the return chamber which is where your return pump lives and is a good spot for your ATO as the evaporated water from the tank and sump is noticed here first.
There are many different types of sumps but they all generally work the same way.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to check how much water drains out of the tank when the pump is shut off.
This is called Drain Down and one reason most sumps run around 1/2 full.
If you don't have that room you have a flood. Measure how much room you have above the water level when everything is running. Shut off the pump & measure again after a few minutes, and measure how much room there is above that water level. Now you know in inches, how much room you need if the power goes out & how much more if any water you can have in the sump. ALWAYS leave some room for the gremlins!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back