Sump flow rate question

Inkmouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a WB 190.5 and is my first sump system. Over the last two days been pulling my hair out trying to adjust the rate between the gate valve and the pump speed (Sicce SDC 9.0). The return chamber ends up running low and the sump drawing air before I get the gate valve closed enough to not draw air from the top overflow box.

I do have the divider inserted currently for the optional section to be a refugium. What I have noticed is that this divider seems to restrict flow to the point that its causing the sump. chamber to run dry. If I remove the divider, problem goes away. If I leave a small gap underneath the divider, problem goes away.

Has anyone run into this problem with waterbox and trying to use the optional divered section? Also would using some sort of foam filter media at yhe bottom of the divider to leave room for flow under be an acceptable solution?

OP
OP
Inkmouse

Inkmouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being my first sump system I have been a little paranoid in regards to adding water in. With the whole system turned off I'd say the water level currently only sits 4 to 5 inches from the top. Was trying to leave a little room for error.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Adjusting a sump takes time. And you’ll have to adjust more and more once pipes pickup some algae and the return breaks in or wears. Open the gate valve more to get more flow in your sump so the return doesn’t run dry. If it runs dry it’s the dividers slowing it down.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being my first sump system I have been a little paranoid in regards to adding water in. With the whole system turned off I'd say the water level currently only sits 4 to 5 inches from the top. Was trying to leave a little room for error.
The system has a water level. The tank and sump will hold the same level while the return is in. The only place where water level will fluctuate is the return chamber. There is no need for room for errors. When the return pump is turned off, it will only fill the sump to the exact same level no matter what.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system has a water level. The tank and sump will hold the same level while the return is in. The only place where water level will fluctuate is the return chamber. There is no need for room for errors. When the return pump is turned off, it will only fill the sump to the exact same level no matter what.
In other words you can fill the tank with the return off right to where the water stops flowing into the sump. Then fill the sump right to the top. Then turn the return on. When you turn the return off again it will always go right back to where you started.

OP
OP
Inkmouse

Inkmouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other words you can fill the tank with the return off right to where the water stops flowing into the sump. Then fill the sump right to the top. Then turn the return on. When you turn the return off again it will always go right back to where you started.
I turned the whole system off let it all settle and added another 4 gallons into the sump filling it closer to the top. You were correct and this fixed the issue with the sump chamber running low. Thanks, like I said think I was just being overly cautious.

The water spilling over from the refugium area was a bit loud so I moved the filter sponge over just below it which doesn't impede flow but quiets it down. Thanks again for the help :)
20240827_175738.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend setting the pump at the flow rate you want, and then patiently tuning the drain gate valve. Don't bother monkeying around with both the pump and drain simultaneously, you'll drive yourself nuts

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the whole system off let it all settle and added another 4 gallons into the sump filling it closer to the top. You were correct and this fixed the issue with the sump chamber running low. Thanks, like I said think I was just being overly cautious.

The water spilling over from the refugium area was a bit loud so I moved the filter sponge over just below it which doesn't impede flow but quiets it down. Thanks again for the help :)
20240827_175738.jpg
I'm so glad! Awesome

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back