Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two story house with a 14 gallon biocube in my one year old sons room. During the summer, it gets warmer up there and last summer I seen the temp reach 85 in the tank. What's the best way to cool the tank down other than adding a $400 chiller?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run chillers on some systems, but the vast majority I cool evaporatively using fans. Just make sure you have plenty of top off water. Set it on a thermostat to turn on when the temp gets high and it will cool down fairly quickly.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem 2 nights ago. My tank is on the second floor and the temp went up to 83 degrees. What I had to do is put some ice cubes in a plastic ziplock bag and place in the sump. I only put in a handful at a time so it don't have a huge temp swing. I try to get it to drop .2-.3 degrees an hour. I was able to get the temp down to 79 over the course of ten hours. Everything turned out great. But now I am going to keep RO/DI ice cubes in the freezer so if and when it happens again I can just drop the cubes in the sump and let them slowly melt. That will help keep the temp Down and also act as an ATO. Hope this helps a little.

Nutramar Foods
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Zoanthids.com
Back