Sufficient 40 gallon stand?

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to follow the king of diys aquarium stand tutorial, but once my dad and other carpenters got involved, they built the stand their way

This guys built out of 2x4s (red and fir wood)

But it stands on 4 2x2s (redwood)

Would this hold a 40 breeder?

IMG_4424.jpeg

IMG_4423.jpeg IMG_4422.jpeg

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch that seam in the middle. Any difference between the two halves could cause stress. Might want to use foam under the tank.

Other than that, stand looks plenty strong to hold a tank.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that top MDF sheets? If so, you want to waterproof the heck out of it, or it'll suck up water like a sponge and swell. IMHO you would be better served by a sheet of plywood, no seems. 3/4" would be preferable.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch that seam in the middle. Any difference between the two halves could cause stress. Might want to use foam under the tank.

Other than that, stand looks plenty strong to hold a tank.
Yep i am going to get a foam leveling mat! Thank you

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that top MDF sheets? If so, you want to waterproof the heck out of it, or it'll suck up water like a sponge and swell. IMHO you would be better served by a sheet of plywood, no seems. 3/4" would be preferable.
Im not sure, my dad used an old cabinet door but ill ask him.

Do you have any recommendations for water proof coatings/sealants? I heard beeswax was good

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure, my dad used an old cabinet door but ill ask him.

Do you have any recommendations for water proof coatings/sealants? I heard beeswax was good
Oh, if it's 2 cabinet doors, and looking at it closer, it looks like a material called melamine. It's plastic-like coating over a chip board core, lots of cabinet doors are made from it. It's totally waterproof. I have used it for a couple bench tops in my shop. Works well for things like that.

As to waterproof wood sealant, 3 or 4 coats of a good marine varnish. But I think the melamine is a better way to go.

fishface NJ

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep i am going to get a foam leveling mat! Thank you

DO NOT use a leveling mat on a framed tank! The mats are made for frameless tanks only. I will break the glass on the underside of the tank

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT use a leveling mat on a framed tank! The mats are made for frameless tanks only. I will break the glass on the underside of the tank
I put the mat around the bottom rim of the tank only... it doesn't touch the underside of the tank. Is that okay?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but theres a small indentation in the wood since the table top is made of 2 cabinet doors that are connected, is that okat?
Why not get a sheet of 1/2" ply, cut to size, and place it on top of the "door top." Paint to match. Problem solved.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back