Stocking anthias

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Just got my fish in the male today and they threw in an extra lyertail anthias. Seems great right lol, well it looks to be in transition and my full male seems not to pleased. I have read some that say it could transition back others that say no…. Also will they settle in as a lesser male maybe. I feel I know the answer but looking for some input.

Dusky wrasse
Gold rhombus wrasse
Mated clown pair
Fire fin tomi tang
1 male lyertail anthias
1 early transition ( color is still mostly yellow orange, no purple. Top fin just starting to show)
2 female lyertail

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it seem like a mistake, or intentional? I was thinking about placing an order, but I sure don't want fish I am not prepared to deal with.

OP
OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it seem like a mistake, or intentional? I was thinking about placing an order, but I sure don't want fish I am not prepared to deal with.
I only ordered 4 fish I got five. I spent a good amount sir they either threw one in or miscounted. The fish are beautiful and great color. Is definitely just transitioning. I got the 4 fish I asked for and 1 more

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think he may have sent you an extra, because lyres from my experience personally and reading on the forum always has a die off.

When i ordered 7, 2 died in transit and 1 died from my MP40. , and i can think of many others that have lost at least 1 in transit.

Nothing was wrong health wise, they just could not handle the transit.

Also i don't think lyres transition back.
And with 2 lyres males, 90% gaurentee you will get genocide.

Id IMO, get rid of the transitioning one, and add 2 more if your tank can support it.

I don't know if its snake oil or a thing, but most long term lyre schools were in prime number groups from the many hours of research i have done.

So like 1-3-5-7-11. And always only 1 male, or 1 male for that specific species... like... you can have a lyre male, and a male blotched, and a male carberryi and they will not pick each other off.

I currently have 3 different anthias in a group of 8.
The last one is a blotched, so it doesn't really count, as they really do not school with it.
But 4 lyres + 3 Carberri.

Last edited:
OP
OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think he may have sent you an extra, because lyres from my experience personally and reading on the forum always has a die off.

When i ordered 7, 2 died in transit and 1 died from my MP40. , and i can think of many others that have lost at least 1 in transit.

Nothing was wrong health wise, they just could not handle the transit.

Also i don't think lyres transition back.
And with 2 lyres males, 90% gaurentee you will get genocide.

Id IMO, get rid of the transitioning one, and add 2 more if your tank can support it.

I don't know if its snake oil or a thing, but most long term lyre schools were in prime number groups from the many hours of research i have done.

So like 1-3-5-7-11. And always only 1 male, or 1 male for that specific species... like... you can have a lyre male, and a male blotched, and a male carberryi and they will not pick each other off.

I currently have 3 different anthias in a group of 8.
The last one is a blotched, so it doesn't really count, as they really do not school with it.
But 4 lyres + 3 Carberri.
Thanks, I feel the same on the extra fish. Yeah I was going for 3 as odds seem to work best. The actual female is the one hiding and probably be the one that does not make it, if one does not. Just my luck .

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You and me both with the anthia luck. You ordered what should be a safe ratio and got a extra transitioning male which is most likely a problem and not going to work out in the future

I ordered (elsewhere) 1 male and 1 female and my female has become dominant and chases the male all the time. Makes him hide in coral. Nips fins. And now the female is flashing a top spikey fin so I’m wondering if for some reason my female is transitioning despite having a male present, and, she wants to be the dominant in the tank.

I fear I’m gong to end up with 2 males and then eventually just 1 anthia

The current male shows absolutely zero aggression to the female

Female - is this top spikey fin normal on a female or is this a signs the transition is starting ?
23713B4E-D49A-4BCF-8460-A327A1576A7C.jpeg

Male
8E46B249-8F78-49A0-8D6B-27AE56CE9E78.jpeg

Male will be minding his business…
2F30F9EC-D4DC-46B3-A18C-B22706BC4394.jpeg

Female will come after him and chase him into hiding
DFBFE913-DD85-4091-B03A-7B8F109A8C58.jpeg
0E6C80AC-78B9-497A-B0F2-18CC19DEBB7C.jpeg

OP
OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and me both with the anthia luck. You ordered what should be a safe ratio and got a extra transitioning male which is most likely a problem and not going to work out in the future

I ordered (elsewhere) 1 male and 1 female and my female has become dominant and chases the male all the time. Makes him hide in coral. Nips fins. And now the female is flashing a top spikey fin so I’m wondering if for some reason my female is transitioning despite having a male present, and, she wants to be the dominant in the tank.

I fear I’m gong to end up with 2 males and then eventually just 1 anthia

The current male shows absolutely zero aggression to the female

Female - is this top spikey fin normal on a female or is this a signs the transition is starting ?
23713B4E-D49A-4BCF-8460-A327A1576A7C.jpeg

Male
8E46B249-8F78-49A0-8D6B-27AE56CE9E78.jpeg

Male will be minding his business…
2F30F9EC-D4DC-46B3-A18C-B22706BC4394.jpeg

Female will come after him and chase him into hiding
DFBFE913-DD85-4091-B03A-7B8F109A8C58.jpeg
0E6C80AC-78B9-497A-B0F2-18CC19DEBB7C.jpeg
Top fin is first sign of change, full transition they will get spots on the front pectoral fins and turn a darker more purple orange.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back