Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told that sponges can't touch air or they'll die. Of course, I didn't think about this when introducing my new one to the tank. :anguished-face:

It went from the bag to the tank in half a second. When I rolled it around in the water, air bubbles escaped from the interior and I was sure to thoroughly make sure none was left.

So how bad did I screw up? Are they really this sensitive?

Corals.com

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told that sponges can't touch air or they'll die. Of course, I didn't think about this when introducing my new one to the tank. :anguished-face:

It went from the bag to the tank in half a second. When I rolled it around in the water, air bubbles escaped from the interior and I was sure to thoroughly make sure none was left.

I've heard this too, but I strongly question the validity of it because numerous sponge species are found in the intertidal zone and are exposed to air with every low tide (see the link below). That said, it's possible that it may be able to cause problems for some species (see the quote below), but your method of releasing the air bubbles is what I would've done/suggested anyway as a precaution.

Again, I personally doubt this is actually an issue. This subject reminds me of the confirmedly false myth that starfish die when exposed to air; in reality they only die from prolonged air exposure, similar to how we humans die from prolonged water exposure (submersion). For starfish, a quick trip through the air won't kill it, and I'd imagine the same holds true for most (if not all) sponges.

So, I'd assume that as long as your tank can provide the proper environment and care for the sponge, it'll recover from any problems.
Agreed - it seems to be a very nicely colored sponge.

With regards to sponges dying when exposed to air, my understanding is that they essentially get air trapped inside their structure and slowly desiccate and/or starve from not being able to continuously filter the water in and out of their body. I wonder if this condition could be treated successfully using methods similar to how one "burps" a clam or a nautilus (i.e. I'm curious if slowly rotating it 360 degrees underwater multiple times would help relieve the problem/release the air from inside the sponge). I suppose with a sponge you would likely need to rotate it 360 degrees in a number of different directions (i.e. top to bottom, side to side, diagonals, etc.) and/or possibly expose it to some flow while "burping" it to help dislodge any bubbles in the spicules, but - in my mind/in theory at least - it seems like it would help.

dennis romano

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping or attempting to keep sponges for more than a decade. Years ago, they were shipped as any other invert, water with a bubble of air, usually wrapped in a wet paper towel. Back then, sponges rarely lasted more than a couple of weeks. Usually, they would just rot away. We have figured out that the trapped air basically "drowns" the sponge, cutting off water flow. Nowadays, they are shipped without any air in the bag. Their success rate has dramatically improved. Today, I have several sponges that are years old. I would not squeeze a sponge to release trapped air. Many have a semi rigid internal structure that would be damaged. You may not lose the sponge. Several times, in my tank, a sponge has decayed until there is not much left but came back. They do best in a well established tank. I stir the substrate a couple of times a week to get the microfauna into the water column. They seem to do best with that process. Good luck.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept them and transferd them between system out of water many times without issue.

I am sure that the best practice is to keep them in water but I wouldn't worry about a short gasp of air.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Ive seen this all too often especially ball and finger sponges. Air will get into their inner pores and break down cells in them and they start to decay from the bottom first. They are not forgiving and need low light and medium flow

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept them and transferd them between system out of water many times without issue.

I am sure that the best practice is to keep them in water but I wouldn't worry about a short gasp of air.
Thanks all for your responses. Sean, I hope you're right, I'd hate to lose this piece. It's really an eye-catcher.

blue sponge.jpg

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen this all too often especially ball and finger sponges. Air will get into their inner pores and break down cells in them and they start to decay from the bottom first. They are not forgiving and need low light and medium flow
I know they're not photosynthetic and don't benefit from light. But it doesn't need to be shaded outright, does it?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they're not photosynthetic and don't benefit from light. But it doesn't need to be shaded outright, does it?
Probably depends on the animal. Watch and see.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Mine were Low light- not quite shaded

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your responses. Sean, I hope you're right, I'd hate to lose this piece. It's really an eye-catcher.

View attachment 3065427
I tried these so beautiful but impossible to keep longterm unfortunately! I do have a ball sponge and elephant ear that are doing great though.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So, while I have your ear (anyone)... will hermit crabs or snails (astria and nessarius) bother a sponge? I just pulled a halloween hermit of the thing and he was busy doing something.
Yes crabs will pick off of them and climb on them causing minor damage

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Kinetics
Back