So the fish shops say dont lisen to you guys but here i am…

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s kinda wild a lfs would tell you to not listen to other people but only trust them. Sounds to me like they are trying to sell you products, or get you to spend more money there. Sounds like a used car salesman
Car Sales Dance GIF by Quickpage

get-salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 93.3%
14   1   0
That’s kinda wild a lfs would tell you to not listen to other people but only trust them. Sounds to me like they are trying to sell you products, or get you to spend more money there. Sounds like a used car salesman
Car Sales Dance GIF by Quickpage
car salesman. oh.... now that is low, Worst occupation ! lol

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kamala Harris Debate GIF by PBS News
Why would they ever say that?

Last edited:

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for a car and when they told me don’t look at other dealers, nobodies going to be able to beat this price…you know what I did…I walked out and looked at other dealers. And I did beat that price
Oh.....There's NOTHING worse than car shopping. Next time, I'm test driving at a car lot, RUNNING AWAY and buying online. The last time I bought a vehicle I actually heard the words "WHAT can I do to get you to buy this car?!" And all this time I thought that line was urban legend!!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an interesting read, and while I really don't disagree with what others have said, let's maybe take a step back and consider that there might just be something of a 'communication breakdown' going on here.

I agree, the fish store sounds shady at first glance. It sounds like they want to lock you into their ideologies and, more importantly, the product lines they carry. And I would run far away from a store that was trying to do this to me.

I whole heartedly advise everyone to come to Reef2Reef to get your information. Sure, you'll see the occasional post of poor advice, but the community will quickly come around and correct that post. As others have said, we are so very fortunate to have real-deal scientists and hobby professionals with years of experience freely sharing their knowledge and wisdom and asking nothing in return. I don't know about you guys, but I'm very, very grateful for what I've learned here at Reef2Reef, and for those that have shared that information.

Who would you rather trust: A small group of people that are trying to sell you the very narrow product line that they've managed to acquire the rights to resell, or people that are just simply passionate about this hobby, and want nothing more than to share their knowledge for free. For some of our members here, this can literally be a lifetime of experience. I think that's priceless.

On the other hand, the OP's local fish store may be referring to the internet as a whole, and not so much our beloved Reef2Reef community, and I think we can all agree that there's certainly A LOT of misinformation on the internet. They may also take the position that we can't help you if you're just going to listen to everyone and anyone online. That's not the position I would take if I was a store owner, I'm just trying to see both sides.

As far as the freshwater/water change question from the OP's first post, I don't think for one minute ANY fish store would advise someone to remove saltwater and replace it with freshwater. Not even my local Big Box pet store would advise that. I don't think even my local Big Box hardware store would give out that advice. I strongly think either the fish store was unclear, or the OP was mistaken about what they heard, or the OP mistyped in their original post.

And as long as I'm ranting lol!!...... In a previous life I sold cars for a while, new and used, and at legit dealerships. We use to say, "Buyers are liars", and it's true. Buyers lie FAR more than car salespeople. Sure, a salesperson may ask you what they have to do to get you into the car today and other 'pressure' tactics, that's their job, but here's just a small list of things buyers will lie about off the top of my head. There is A LOT more if I could just think of them lol!
  • I can't make a decision without my significant other (Then why did you leave them home?)
  • I'm just looking, I'm not ready to buy (I can see the *Buyer's Worksheet* you got from the dealership up the road in your notebook)
  • I just started looking (You're three months deep into the process)
  • My credit is excellent (Enough said)
  • My trade-in is paid off (You owe FAR more than your trade is worth)
  • We're not shopping anywhere else (The last guy's business card is stapled to your brochure)
  • In my day, a hand shake meant we had a firm deal (You're going up the road to shop my price)
  • I need to speak to my life coach/spiritual advisor (You're going up the road to shop my price lol!)
  • I'm a cash buyer (You can't get a loan, and you have ZERO cash)
Sorry to rant, and I'm not really defending car salespeople or this particular fish store, I'm just suggesting that there are two sides to everything.

Happy reefing everyone!

Last edited:

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an interesting read, and while I really don't disagree with what others have said, let's maybe take a step back and consider that there might just be something of a 'communication breakdown' going on here.

I agree, the fish store sounds shady at first glance. It sounds like they want to lock you into their ideologies and, more importantly, the product lines they carry. And I would run far away from a store that was trying to do this to me.

I whole heartedly advise everyone to come to Reef2Reef to get your information. Sure, you'll see the occasional post of poor advice, but the community will quickly come around and correct that post. As others have said, we are so very fortunate to have real-deal scientists and hobby professionals with years of experience freely sharing their knowledge and wisdom and asking anything in return. I don't know about you guys, but I'm very, very grateful for what I've learned here at Reef2Reef, and for those that have shared that information.

Who would you rather trust: A small group of people that are trying to sell you the very narrow product line that they've managed to acquire the rights to resell, or people that are just simply passionate about this hobby, and want nothing more than to share their knowledge for free. For some of our members here, this can literally be a lifetime of experience. I think that's priceless.

On the other hand, the OP's local fish store may be referring to the internet as a whole, and not so much our beloved Reef2Reef community, and I think we can all agree that there's certainly A LOT of misinformation on the internet. They may also take the position that we can't help you if you're just going to listen to everyone and anyone online. That's not the position I would take if I was a store owner, I'm just trying to see both sides.

As far as the freshwater/water change question from the OP's first post, I don't think for one minute ANY fish store would advise someone to remove saltwater and replace it with freshwater. Not even my local Big Box pet store would advise that. I don't think even my local Big Box hardware store would give out that advice. I strongly think either the fish store was unclear, or the OP was mistaken about what they heard, or the OP mistyped in their original post.

And as long as I'm ranting lol!!...... In a previous life I sold cars for a while, new and used, and at legit dealerships. We use to say, "Buyers are liars", and it's true. Buyers lie FAR more than car salespeople. Sure, a salesperson may ask you what they have to do to get you into the car today and other 'pressure' tactics, that's their job, but here's just a small list of things buyers will lie about off the top of my head. There is A LOT more if I could just think of them lol!
  • I can't make a decision without my significant other (Then why did you leave them home?)
  • I'm just looking, I'm not ready to buy (I can see the *Buyer's Worksheet* you got from the dealership up the road in your notebook)
  • I just started looking (You're three months deep into the process)
  • My credit is excellent (Enough said)
  • My trade-in is paid off (You owe FAR more than your trade is worth)
  • We're not shopping anywhere else (The last guy's business card is stapled to your brochure)
  • In my day, a hand shake meant we had a firm deal (You're going up the road to shop my price)
  • I need to speak to my life coach/spiritual advisor (You're going up the road to shop my price lol!)
  • I'm a cash buyer (You can't get a loan, and you have ZERO cash)
Sorry to rant, and I'm not really defending car salespeople or this particular fish store, I'm just suggesting that there are two sides to everything.

Happy reefing everyone!
Oops. Sorry Dude! I (quite firmly I may add) stuck my foot in my mouth UP TO MY HIP! Buyers are Liars....That's hilarious! Love it!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. Sorry Dude! I (quite firmly I may add) stuck my foot in my mouth UP TO MY HIP! Buyers are Liars....That's hilarious! Love it!
Not at all! I was also a pharm tech for a couple of years with a BS in Bio, now THERE's a thankless job lol!

But you guys posting about car sales people had me laughing. I get it, I do ;-)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back