OP
clownfish_reefer

clownfish_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's the exact one I bought when I first got into the hobby!

1726348077265.png
Thanks a lot for the help!

traumamed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses, and glad to hear you have a solution moving forward.

Just to hammer home the point about tap water for anyone else who stumbles onto this thread - it's bad stuff. I don't drink it. My family doesn't drink it. My dogs don't drink it. I don't let my fish swim in it.

While this could have been a pure oxygenation issue as others have speculated, I wouldn't dismiss the tap water itself as a possible source of this event. Tap water is not particularly consistent over time. It can have varying levels of chlorine and chloramine, as well as trace organics and heavy metals up to municipally-allowed levels. Prime helps, but can potentially be overwhelmed depending upon what is present in the water.

A RODI, or even just a plain RO if the DI part is cost-prohibitive, is the best investment someone can make in their tank. Otherwise you're just trading one form of dirty water for another. Using tap water ends up being a false economy as money is dumped into water conditioners, more frequent replacement of nutrient and impurity strippers (GFO, GAC, etc), addressing perpetual problems with nutrient levels, and replacement of lost livestock.

OP
OP
clownfish_reefer

clownfish_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses, and glad to hear you have a solution moving forward.

Just to hammer home the point about tap water for anyone else who stumbles onto this thread - it's bad stuff. I don't drink it. My family doesn't drink it. My dogs don't drink it. I don't let my fish swim in it.

While this could have been a pure oxygenation issue as others have speculated, I wouldn't dismiss the tap water itself as a possible source of this event. Tap water is not particularly consistent over time. It can have varying levels of chlorine and chloramine, as well as trace organics and heavy metals up to municipally-allowed levels. Prime helps, but can potentially be overwhelmed depending upon what is present in the water.

A RODI, or even just a plain RO if the DI part is cost-prohibitive, is the best investment someone can make in their tank. Otherwise you're just trading one form of dirty water for another. Using tap water ends up being a false economy as money is dumped into water conditioners, more frequent replacement of nutrient and impurity strippers (GFO, GAC, etc), addressing perpetual problems with nutrient levels, and replacement of lost livestock.
I agree I feel it’s better to just play it safe rather than take my chances with the tap water. Do you think my corals will be ok? This event has made me very anxious about my livestock and how they will do moving forward. Luckily all my remaining fish are eating mysis shrimp like pigs

traumamed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think my corals will be ok?
Looking at your picture, I see a leather, a couple LPS, and I can't tell if that's a purple monti or coralline algae in the top right. Both the leather and the LPS look open and happy, and they tend to let you know pretty quickly if they are irritated. Good chance they will be fine. If that is indeed a monti in there, they are pretty hardy for SPS, but would be at the biggest risk if for no other reason than it can take time for them to show a problem.

OP
OP
clownfish_reefer

clownfish_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your picture, I see a leather, a couple LPS, and I can't tell if that's a purple monti or coralline algae in the top right. Both the leather and the LPS look open and happy, and they tend to let you know pretty quickly if they are irritated. Good chance they will be fine. If that is indeed a monti in there, they are pretty hardy for SPS, but would be at the biggest risk if for no other reason than it can take time for them to show a problem.
Yes I got 3 lps and a leather. Not a monti cap just rock. Good to hear they should be ok just gonna keep a close eye on them and test water frequently. Thank you for the help I really appreciate it

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back