Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this maxima in the same spot for about 2 months now, noticing one of the lobes on the mantle doesn’t fully extend over the previous clam shell. I asked the seller if this was a sign of a pinched mantle, he said no looks healthy just let it be. What do you guys think? The rest of the clams mantle is fully extended, and looks like it should.

5E8CEE3B-8941-488A-ACF0-74D4195F455D.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on my sand bed under neptunes sky’s, probably around 150 par, feed/dose phyto. Anything else I should do, I’ve just left it alone and keep parameters dialed in 8, 460 and 1400

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on my sand bed under neptunes sky’s, probably around 150 par, feed/dose phyto. Anything else I should do, I’ve just left it alone and keep parameters dialed in 8, 460 and 1400
what's your no3/po4? they like it a little dirtier than usual from what i read. 5-10ppm no3, .04-.10ppm po4.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is this clam?
No need to feed it directly unless it's on the small side and even then you would feed it phyto.
You do need some more par than it has now. More like 250ish or more.
If it is PMD it can be treated.

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients are. .04 and 6. Clam I’d say is 3” or so. I dose phyto for Pods and clam. Not directly just broadcast 2 times a week. I can bump par but. Just don’t want to take other corals out doing that. What’s pmd treatment?

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients are. .04 and 6. Clam I’d say is 3” or so. I dose phyto for Pods and clam. Not directly just broadcast 2 times a week. I can bump par but. Just don’t want to take other corals out doing that. What’s pmd treatment?

wculver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this maxima in the same spot for about 2 months now, noticing one of the lobes on the mantle doesn’t fully extend over the previous clam shell. I asked the seller if this was a sign of a pinched mantle, he said no looks healthy just let it be. What do you guys think? The rest of the clams mantle is fully extended, and looks like it should.

View attachment 2706257
It looks a lot like PMD to me. The clam is healthy so it's not crazy bad but over time it will chip away at it's longevity.

I had the same thought with mine where I just left it alone. Actually let it fester for months before I realized it went from a quarter of the mantle to half of one side. Slow progression but sure to kill the clam.

So I got my DI up to temp and dosed alkalinity to match the tank. I did a 20 minute dip and was very careful with the clam. After that looked like death and wasn't pleasant. Did recover only for this to happen again three months later.

Round 2 I did the same thing with the water but I was rough with the clam. I had the power head... shaking it... Squirted water in with a syringe... Anything to get the fresh water to bathe it. Did this for a solid 30 minutes. Sounds excessive but the clam was clearly going to die without intervention.

It's been three years now and clammy is the size of a football and looks great. Had I waited even longer I don't think the clam would have made it based on how hard this is to get through.

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fresh rodi water brought up to tank temp, floating container say in sump…so matching temp, place clam in nfw for 30 mins…. I don’t have a separate tank. So place in another area of tank…. And cross fingers?

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pinched mantle disease is posted.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fresh rodi water brought up to tank temp, floating container say in sump…so matching temp, place clam in nfw for 30 mins…. I don’t have a separate tank. So place in another area of tank…. And cross fingers?
Small bucket? Wife's Tupperware? Something to put it in.

wculver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did mine in an ice box. Same one I use for water changes. Definitely use something relatively clean with enough space for a power head and a heater if needed. No less than 30 minutes and make sure to get some flow through the clam. Once he closes up the fresh water may not get to where the culprits are without some flow and force.

When you put it back in your tank I'd say put in same spot but monitor for shrimp or fish picking at it. I have a clear plastic box that I used at one time to keep the menaces away that's got holes drilled for flow. They started feasting on the clam when he had PMD so I already had the box but it was also helpful in recovery. This isn't always a problem but something to consider.

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On vacay out of the country for the week, but going to do when I get home. Just want to have a game plan. So maintain temp and have flow into clam… I have a low powered power head, I think 20-80gpm point into opening. 30 min minimum. After 30 mins put back into DT same spot and keep LS away from clam.

wculver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On vacay out of the country for the week, but going to do when I get home. Just want to have a game plan. So maintain temp and have flow into clam… I have a low powered power head, I think 20-80gpm point into opening. 30 min minimum. After 30 mins put back into DT same spot and keep LS away from clam.

Don't forget to get the alkalinity similar to the DT, but other than that yes. Once the clam opens back up in the DT make sure to gently rock him to get any bubbles out. It may take a while to actually open but it's a good idea to see if there are any trapped bubbles.

Nutramar Foods

wculver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I don’t have any way to test the fwd, I have an apex on the DT…….hmmmmmm
I would suggest a Salifert test specifically for alkalinity as it'll give you a good reading in range. You don't want to hit the clam with unbuffered water. This is meant to kill off the amoebas and not the zozanthelle.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Zoanthids.com
Back