So the fish shops say dont lisen to you guys but here i am…

theshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i went to the fish shop and they said dont lisen to the forum guys as you guys have misinformation

However i wanted both views

Firstly i have a saltwater tank and iv been told never to do a water change with saltwater

So when i take out 10 percent water refill with RO water not saltwater?

Secondly i have a aqua one nano 40 tank 55l

The fish shop guys said leave it as it is - dont look online and dont go on the forums to make changes to it in regards to filtering system

Online i seen they taken out the cartridges and put Like normal sponges in place and then in the other two compartments they have sponges and bio balls and cermaic rings pic attached

Finally i did a transfer from old fish tank to new

I kept the old sponges and put them in the new fish tank and i moved all the live rock which was covered in green slime im assuming cyno cleaned it and put in in the new tank for the bacteria

New fish tank seems clean but the live rocks have gone abit red pics attached?

My filteration is the clearer pic with the green sponge ( the tank with white sponge is online)

1. Water comes in i have put a black sponge infront of the aqua one cardrides this goes down to the ceramic rings then some green sponge then bio balls then i have sponge

2. This then go into a massive black sponge

3. Go into a smaller black sponge goes into bio balls and out the pump

Is this ok

IMG_1261.png IMG_1260.png IMG_1224.png IMG_1261.png IMG_1260.png IMG_1250.jpeg IMG_1263.jpeg IMG_1224.png

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nah we rock!!! :cool:

But for real, it is possible to find disinformation/incorrect information here, but typically there are plenty of members who will jump in to correct that information or offer a different perspective. There are MANY experts on this forum from all different backgrounds/areas of reef keeping!

I have got much more, good intentioned, misinformation/incorrect information from local stores than I have here.

Just my two cents.

EDIT:

To answer your questions, a water changes means to take old saltwater out of the tank and add new saltwater to the tank in equal parts. I remove 10 gallons of saltwater from my tank and add 10 gallons of new SALTwater back in. The only time you will be adding RODI water (without salt) is to top off evaporation (evaporation takes away water but leaves the salt).

As far as the filtration, I will agree it can be a good to use the manufacturers filtration when you are starting out both for learning purposes and to see IF you need to make changes and what those changes might be. That said, cartridge type filters are generally though to be less effective, not very reusable (wear out over time), and an unnecessary expense if and when you need to replace them.

Last edited:

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side! I feel like there are a lot of different opions and it can be overwhelming at first. Keep it simple and dont mess with the filter is probably what he ment.

I do a 10% waterchange weekly and add ro water just to cover evaporation. You dont need to over complicate it when first starting out.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly i have a saltwater tank and iv been told never to do a water change with saltwater

This is rediculous. Do that long enough and you'll have a tank full of fresh water but everything will die first. Ya listen to those folks they won't steer you wrong :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you LFS is setting you up to fail. You top off with RODI, but you change the water with saltwater. Salinity will lower if you water change and only fill with RODI as your diluting.

Sounds like these guys are going to give you bad information to fail and keep you coming back. While there is many approaches, one solution doesn't fit all.

In fact most people always do some modification to their rank in one way shape or form if it's an all in one. This includes just swapping pumps, changing out filtration system or other things.

TheMetalReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the water change- Waterchamge can be up for debate. I personally water change about 10% weekly. If you TAKE OUT water for a water change you have to replace with saltwater, not RO water, as you would dilute the water if you put RO.
However if water EVAPORATES from your tank then you would replace with RO water, as the water gets more salty when water evaporates. Does that make sence?

Filter looks right, but im super simple when it comes to filtering as i hate removing and cleaning things lol. I would probably leave the black sponges, ceramic rings and thats it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for sharing that is really funny. And please believe I’m not laughing at you but at your fish guy. Someone encouraging you not to find info on your own is bad news, find a new fish store.

This is a research heavy hobby, you need to spend lots of time online and reading. Looking at your tank, it needs improvements or you will have challenges.

Tommy B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as water changes go, if you take out saltwater, saltwater must go back in. I personally do water changes, others have success with no water changes but may need extra dosing.

Freshwater (RODI) is used when you lose water due to evaporation.

Don't change too much too fast, it adds more variables and can compound issues.

IMO every system has different needs but the fundamentals are usually agreed by most.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i went to the fish shop and they said dont lisen to the forum guys as you guys have misinformation

The fish shop guys said leave it as it is - dont look online and dont go on the forums to make changes to it in regards to filtering system

Online i seen they taken out the cartridges and put Like normal sponges in place and then in the other two compartments they have sponges and bio balls and cermaic rings pic attached

I kept the old sponges and put them in the new fish tank and i moved all the live rock which was covered in green slime im assuming cyno cleaned it and put in in the new tank for the bacteria

My filteration is the clearer pic with the green sponge ( the tank with white sponge is online)

1. Water comes in i have put a black sponge infront of the aqua one cardrides this goes down to the ceramic rings then some green sponge then bio balls then i have sponge

Is this ok

IMG_1261.png IMG_1260.png IMG_1224.png IMG_1261.png IMG_1260.png IMG_1250.jpeg IMG_1263.jpeg IMG_1224.png
Maybe they were talking about a different forum?

We have a lot of people in the business of salt aquariums and some that have been keeping them for decades.

Your first question; water evaporates every day. What evaporates is pure water and nothing else. The tank will get saltier as a result of that evaporation. So we add ro/di water to accommodate for this.

Now, a water change is different.
The solution to pollution is dilution. You can do water changes at any amount but typically most do about 10% weekly. Not written in stone the amount or frequency. You take out 10% off the volume and replace 10% of the volume that you pre-made to match your salanity. It's that simple.

Welcome to the best forum on the planet!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it from someone who worked in a shop years ago before beginning to research topics with credible sources...the shop guys are salesmen and hobbyists themselves and thats the extent of most of their knowledge. The majority of them dont know a great deal about 'why' something does or doesnt work and would be happy to sell you livestock they know basically nothing about. They should still be giving you bettet advice than you mentioned though.

Next time you visit, ask them how many times they've given incorrect advice or ask them a comprehensive question about a particular invertebrate in stock and watch as they evade the question.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. The real issue is that the advice you receive here is what disproves the information you get at the LFS.

We save you money by preventing you from spending unnecessarily with them.

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for a year and I can't tell you how many times I've found my solution by coming to Reef2Reef. It's weird someone would tell you not to bother with so many folks on here who have been doing this for years.

I'll expand on what Shawnd08 said because I remember how it is to be learning so much at once. The salt in your tank stays constant - it doesn't evaporate out of the water. If you manually take water out of your tank for whatever reason you should replace that with saltwater. If the water evaporates out and your water gets low then you just replace with RODI water (because the salt doesn't evaporate out with the water).

Also, if you don't have a robust cleanup crew - get one - snails for the sand, rock and walls and hermits. Also, make sure you don't skimp on your water changes. In my opinion that is the number one thing. I'll tell you where I made some mistakes - too much light caused a lot of algae I'm just now getting control of and not dipping new corals before I put them in my tank - also don't rely on harsh chemicals to help you solve problems that good practices and maintenance will take care of without wiping our your good bacteria.

Research and keeping an open mind about doing things the right way will be your friend. It took me about 6 months to feel like I knew anything at all. I was so confused and wondered if I'd ever feel comfortable. You got this.

p.s. don't listen to those crochety ol' fish store people (just kidding).

get-salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 93.3%
14   1   0

Is this ok

my man.. you must have offended someone or somebody's mama at that lfs !

lol jk but dont refill your WC with fresh water. good luck and happy reefing !

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS says the same thing about the forms.

Here is how I learned the LFS is full of it with misinformation and the forms actually help:

About 3 months into my first tank. Got velvet in the tank, watching my fish die. LFS said nothing to be done but watch them die. Not in my nature. Went and looked at the forms and found jay’s articles on velvet. Was able to save 3 fish following his guide.

Now I get advice exclusively from here :)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is wrong. Water evaporates, not salt. So by pulling out salt water and replacing it with RO, you are driving your salinity down. What they may have meant was that you never TOP OFF with salt water.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cartridges are specialty items. You can probably source them from the LFS. But if you try the suggestions you've read about, you won't need the specialty cartridges. This means you won't be spending money on replacement cartridges with them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in the end, it is your LFS that is spreading "misinformation".

We must be doing a good job here on R2R if the LFS is trashing us.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back