Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Royal Gramma that's been in my 13.5g nano tank for about ten days (along with two Ocellaris Clownfish and a couple of blue-leg hermits and trochus snails). It seems pretty happy/active, darting in and out of the live rock. Parameters are all good.

This morning I noticed a single white dot just below its dorsal fin, about the size of the point of a pencil. I don't see any on the other fish or this one, nothing on their tails or fins. Attaching a pic of it.

It's been there all day, anything to be concerned about or action I should take?

grammawhitedot2.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t look like any specific disease, possibly an injury? I hesitate to suggest a course of action, not knowing what it is. It is a pretty large lesion though.
Jay

Corals.com
OP
OP
D

Diver4242

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spot is getting bigger. I tested water myself, parameters are spot on. Also had the LFS test it today. I sent them this video also to see if they could diagnose. My clowns (which show up briefly here) are fine. Any diagnosis? Thanks!

Attachments

• HinesRoyalGrammaDisease2.mp4
    89.1 MB
OP
OP
D

Diver4242

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday the Royal Gramma didn't come out at all. The day before it was active as usual (and this spot was growing). I saw a small portion of its tail in the live rock. I moved a piece of the rock and I think it moved away, but it still never came out, even at feeding time. Same this morning. I can't spot it.

Is it hibernating? Dead? I hate to disassemble my hardscape to try to get to it. Thanks for any assistance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday the Royal Gramma didn't come out at all. The day before it was active as usual (and this spot was growing). I saw a small portion of its tail in the live rock. I moved a piece of the rock and I think it moved away, but it still never came out, even at feeding time. Same this morning. I can't spot it.

Is it hibernating? Dead? I hate to disassemble my hardscape to try to get to it. Thanks for any assistance.
Dying fish often tuck into rock crevices, in the wild, that protects them from predators. If your tank is larger than about 40 gallons, I’d just leave it to decompose. Sounds awful, but it won’t cause an ammonia spike, and tearing the rock work out is stressful to everything else. In a smaller tank, it could degrade the water, so you would want to pull it.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looks like a nick that’s developing fungus. Melafix would heal it up

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back