Small white dot protrusion

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently noticed a small white dot protruding from my flame angel’s tail, much larger than ich, id say it looks almost like a tiny pimple, and is noticeably raised off the body.

It’s been pretty noticeable for about 5-6 days now. I believe there was a 2nd similar dot on the fish’s body, but seems to have resolved.

I already did 30 days copper and 2 rounds of general cure. I’m currently about 2 weeks into med free observation and noticed this.

Any ideas?

IMG_2095.jpeg

IMG_2100.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your quarantine method was correct then there shouldn't be concern. Could just be an after effect of something you already eliminated.

If area worsens or more show up then a follow up is warranted.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently noticed a small white dot protruding from my flame angel’s tail, much larger than ich, id say it looks almost like a tiny pimple, and is noticeably raised off the body.

It’s been pretty noticeable for about 5-6 days now. I believe there was a 2nd similar dot on the fish’s body, but seems to have resolved.

I already did 30 days copper and 2 rounds of general cure. I’m currently about 2 weeks into med free observation and noticed this.

Any ideas?

IMG_2095.jpeg

IMG_2100.jpeg
It could be lmphocystis (a mild viral disease) but more likely is just a broken fin ray.

However, the angel is very thin in its nape. That is a sign of serious malnutrition. What are you feeding it and how much/how often?

OP
OP
T

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, lymph crossed my mind.

As I took that photo I realized it did look thin. I’ve Been feeding a mix of mysis, spirulina brine, marine cuisine, and omega flakes. Usually once a day. It eats aggressively.

I was on vacation for 10 days recently, and it only was fed 3 times during that.

I’ll start feeding a few times a day to try and get some weight on it.

Will also likely get it in the DT soon.

TardWrangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should try Masstick for this fish. It’s great for giving the fish something to graze on throughout the day and encourages their natural feeding behavior. Also, you can mix other things into the Masstick like finely pulverized nori. I’ve had good luck putting weight on dwarf angels with this food source

OP
OP
T

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large dots appears to fade after a week or so, then reappear after a couple days. The dot mid body has faded and reappeared in the same location 3 times now. The dot near the tail faded and is gone, but a new one popped up near the head. There seems to be 1-3 dots on the fish at a time.

Is this still presenting as possible lymph?

What would you recommend as a path forward in QT? Continue to observe and fatten the fish up? I’ve got a low risk tolerance for adding anything to my DT with health concerns.

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large dots appears to fade after a week or so, then reappear after a couple days. The dot mid body has faded and reappeared in the same location 3 times now. The dot near the tail faded and is gone, but a new one popped up near the head. There seems to be 1-3 dots on the fish at a time.

Is this still presenting as possible lymph?

What would you recommend as a path forward in QT? Continue to observe and fatten the fish up? I’ve got a low risk tolerance for adding anything to my DT with health concerns.

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

What size is this fish? On a regular sized adult flame angel, those spots are topo large to be ich. However, if this is a tiny flame, the spots would be larger in relation to the body size. I think they are bacterial or mucus tufts though, not really an issue. Watch them though - if they seem to change location day to day and spots come and go, it still could be ich.

OP
OP
T

Tyson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame is medium size, probably about 3”.

With my run ins with ich before, I’ve always seen speckles on clear fins easiest first. This fish’s fins are perfectly clear.

These dots are so large and raised I could pick them off with tweezers. So I agree, doesn’t seem like ich to me.

I’m pretty sure they’ve been in the same locations for 5-7 days at a time, but I’ll take a few more frequent pics to keep better track.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame is medium size, probably about 3”.

With my run ins with ich before, I’ve always seen speckles on clear fins easiest first. This fish’s fins are perfectly clear.

These dots are so large and raised I could pick them off with tweezers. So I agree, doesn’t seem like ich to me.

I’m pretty sure they’ve been in the same locations for 5-7 days at a time, but I’ll take a few more frequent pics to keep better track.

With that large of a fish, I agree this is NOT ich. Staying in the same spot for over 5 days also points to it not being ich....I just wanted to rule that out completely.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back