LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I add in this too: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pico-reef.1059285/
this is very inhumane, everyone has told him, and he isn't changing anything
look how bored the clown is in that tank...
its inhumane as heck
I didn’t watch the video but it sounded like glass surfing and going to rest then back to glass surfing.

These are definitely signs of stress. I see it all the time, and people always think active = happy and healthy :(

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not being rude but I will still try it I know that clownfish are pretty hardy fish I think 5-10 gallon aquarium should be okay and smaller than 5 gallon pretty good start tank but smaller then that tank I think you get more difficult it gets
So you come here to ask if it's OK then when people reply that it's not you say your going to do it anyway. Why ask if your not going to listen? I feel sorry for any fish you get.

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friend. It's probably best that you take the advice that is being offered to you here. As others have said, "can" and "should" aren't the same. Besides the most pressing issue of the tank size for the Clownfish, I would also reconsider the tank size for you, too.

Based on your previous comments, it sounds like maybe you have a background in freshwater and are new to saltwater. Let me emphasize that these two types of fishkeeping are very different, and smaller does not equal easier to manage in the saltwater world. Some would state that it is actually the opposite. Smaller tanks can tend to have more dramatic parameter swings and crash faster than bigger ones. Coming from someone who started this hobby with a nano, I would go for something bigger. You may save yourself some grief with tank management and have your clownfish guilt-free (I hope).

My suggestion is that you hang out here a little longer before you decide on a tank or fish. If you are willing to learn, you will certainly learn how to keep and manage a beautiful and clownfish-friendly aquarium in time. The beauty of saltwater tanks can make it difficult to be patient, but tanks don't stay beautiful for long without it. Good luck. :)

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to leave this thread here for you. This is an overview of how you should start a reef tank.

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a nice writeup I made a while back

JayM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen people put clownfish in 5 gallon tank
I've seen people start a campfire with a gallon of gasoline - doesn't make it a good idea.

Room for the fish to swim and sleep isn't the only factor in deciding tank size. Ever heard the saying "the solution to pollution is dilution"? My general rule of thumb (based solely on opinion - I have no science to back it up), is that "bigger is better" with regards to the ability to maintain stable parameters in a saltwater tank.

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Has a valid question**

**Gives valid answers/advice**

**Doesn’t follow valid answers/advice**

Why did you even ask? Now everyone’s just upset because there’s gonna be a poor clown in a 5 gallon somewhere suffering for the entirety of its inevitably short life.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine both never left their nem, or maybe 8” at most, they are not much for travel, stick close to home.

5g….not inconceivable IMM.

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine both never left their nem, or maybe 8” at most, they are not much for travel, stick close to home.

5g….not inconceivable IMM.
I had a YWG that never came out from under a rock except feeding times when he moved about 2", should of kept him in a milk bottle

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen people put clownfish in 5 gallon tank

The bigger the tank, the more subtle the swings in chemistry will be. Stable chemistry is biggest challenge to people new to the hobby. This is why people are recommending larger than 5 gallons.

I kept a pair of clowns along with a rock and two Anemones in a 5 gallon, but, that was temporary (2 weeks) while I did some work on their tank. That tank was 15 gallons.

It will be difficult, but you can get away with a clown fish in a 5 gallon. Just make sure it is young when you put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back