Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack1235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you have a clownfish in 5 gallon and also is clownfish just like a betta in saltwater hobby that true

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A 5 is a little small, you'd likely be better with a 10g as long as you're not talking a maroon. If someone has called them a saltwater beta they probably mean that they're relatively hearty fish, and they are. Most clownfish are captive bred so they're pretty well suited for aquarium life. They aren't too picky when it comes to foods so you likely wont have a hard time getting them eating. They still require all of the other things marine life needs though. Appropriately stable temperature, salinity, trace elements to a certain degree though this would be fine maintained just from any good aquarium salt mix.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you have a clownfish in 5 gallon and also is clownfish just like a betta in saltwater hobby that true
IMHO, a 5 gallon is too small for a clown, or really most any fish. Maybe a SMALL shrimp goby/ pistol shrimp pair, like a yasha, hut even those are 10 min on LiveAquaria.

Not sure what you mean about the betta.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon is a bit small and also not a good choice if this is your first saltwater tank. If it’s your first salt tank, better to go with a 15 or 20 at least, it gives you more options for filtration and livestock and a bit easier with water quality management. Salt water is not comparable to freshwater a clownish is nothing like a beta.

rogueshrimp88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, 5 gallons is too small. As for comparison to a Betta, I mean I guess? They're relatively common, like Bettas and pretty hardy. They do need more aeration in the tank than a Betta. Bettas can breathe atmospheric oxygen, clownfish cannot.

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I seen people put clownfish in 5 gallon tank
A 10g is really just about the smallest you should consider, ideally a bit larger. Clownfish aren't very active swimmers but they still need some room to move around. Very small tanks are incredibly difficult to maintain if you're new to saltwater. All saltwater critters need stability. Small swings in temperature, salinity, or water parameters can kill them. The smaller the tank, the easier it is for those things to change more quickly than you can get a handle on them. Even with a 10g you'll have to move very slowly to make sure the tank is appropriately cycled with marine bacteria to process ammonia otherwise the fish waste and food decay will create a toxic buildup in the water. You can check out the pico tank section here, they're primarily a challenge that experienced reef keepers undertake.

You might see clownfish at a fish store in a 5g tank or something similar, but those are very short term stays. The fish doesn't need its whole habitat for the 4 days it takes for the store to sell it to its new home. People will use small hospital tanks for short stays to medicate fish when necessary, but a 5g tank is definitely too small long term.

OP
OP
Jack1235

Jack1235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen people it’s okay to put clownfish or living things to 5 gallon tank but it will try it just because my room does not have not a lot of space and I try to keep smaller tanks but you are true but I will give it a try if it works then it works

OP
OP
Jack1235

Jack1235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen people it’s okay to put clownfish or living things to 5 gallon tank but it will try it just because my room does not have not a lot of space and I try to keep smaller tanks but you are true but I will give it a try if it works then it works
I tried tanks like that in freshwater hobby but I just want to put one clownfish and turbo snail in the tank because I don’t want to overstock it

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen people put clownfish in 5 gallon tank
Why ask then?

If seeing something is the only criteria then you have your answer, but I expect your question was also wondering if a 5g would provide a healthy habitat for the fish.

In my opinion its too small, not only would you be putting the fish in a very small area, as once sand, rock etc is added there wouldn’t be 5g of water, probably nearer 3.5g, you would also be committing the fish to living without a partner, so a double whammy, a small home and no partner.

Plenty of small fish you could go for and add interesting inverts too.

If it has to be a clown fish then go bigger, if it has to be 5gallons then go for another fish and inverts.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for clowns I would recommend ATLEAST 10 gallons, also if this is your first saltwater tank, the smaller the tank the harder it will be to take care of especially if you want corals because of how easy parameters can swing in such a small space.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may I ask what other fish?
for 5 gallons I would say the yasha or hi fin goby are some of the only fish that would be comfortable in that space

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for 5 gallons I would say the yasha or hi fin goby are some of the only fish that would be comfortable in that space
not to be rude or anything
but both of those need 10+ minimums
it is "doable", but they'll find ways to jump and stuff, and those r both shrimp gobies(dont have to do shrimp)

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to be rude or anything
but both of those need 10+ minimums
it is "doable", but they'll find ways to jump and stuff, and those r both shrimp gobies(dont have to do shrimp)
i understand, I've had a decent amount of nanos and picos and the reason i put that they would be okay in that size tank was if they were the only fish in there, they are mostly bottom dwelling fish and dont swim around too much. as for the jumping a small lid is fine.

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah good point, I was thinking a fire fish and gobies but liveaquaria suggests 10-30g for those so makes 5g really stand out as unsuitable for a bigger fish as a clown fish.
he could probably keep baby clowns, then sell them or trade them when they grow!

OP
OP
Jack1235

Jack1235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not being rude but I will still try it I know that clownfish are pretty hardy fish I think 5-10 gallon aquarium should be okay and smaller than 5 gallon pretty good start tank but smaller then that tank I think you get more difficult it gets

OP
OP
Jack1235

Jack1235

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not being rude but I will still try it I know that clownfish are pretty hardy fish I think 5-10 gallon aquarium should be okay and smaller than 5 gallon pretty good start tank but smaller then that tank I think you get more difficult it gets for the water parameters to swing a lot and more water changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back