Sifting out bristleworms???

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So probably a weird question...
I will be moving my tank in the next year or so, and I have a significant bristleworm infestation.
They're not hurting anything in particular, just would like to curb the numbers.

Since I want to basically empty the tank to move it, would it be feasible to essentially sift out the bristleworms from the sand, then put the sand back in???

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a trap. Take a stocking....do they still make stockings?......Or a leg portion of pantyhose and put a piece of food in the toe area...a piece of clam works well. Prop open the end with something like wire and put this in your sandbed. They crawl in and can't get out because of their bristles getting caught in the pantyhose.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @redfishbluefish make a trap, and grab as many in the changeover as you can (wear gloves!!) Most of them will be hidden in your rock though, they don't hang out in the sand much

OP
OP
JTP424

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! So consensus seems to be new sand, I'm digging it (pun totally intended)
What are thoughts on dipping my entire rock structure to remove any wormy friends in the rockwork before I replace it in it's newly sanded home :thinking-face:
(I'm running a 15 gallon and it would all fit in a 5 gallon with some mixed up dip)

chip shop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are thoughts on dipping my entire rock structure to remove any wormy friends in the rockwork before I replace it in it's newly sanded home :thinking-face:
(I'm running a 15 gallon and it would all fit in a 5 gallon with some mixed up dip)
Don’t do it

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't dip rock. the dip will leach back into your tank because you'll never get it all out of the rock

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back