How big before bristleworms become a problem?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg, bristle worms don't gross me out normally but THIS IS GROSS!

I might have just tossed the whole tank in the street vs cleaning that out. I watched the whole video unable to look away but my face... was twisted in horror!

It is one thing to have some bristleworms hanging out cleaning up but it's another to have a wreathing mass of bodies!!

Jim Carrey Omg GIF
I just want to know how it gets that bad. What conditions lead to that many bristleworms in the plumbing!?

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg, bristle worms don't gross me out normally but THIS IS GROSS!

I might have just tossed the whole tank in the street vs cleaning that out. I watched the whole video unable to look away but my face... was twisted in horror!

It is one thing to have some bristleworms hanging out cleaning up but it's another to have a wreathing mass of bodies!!

Jim Carrey Omg GIF
When I was a snot-nosed pharmacy student I saw (and smelled) a righteous case of gangrene. This grossed me out more than that! Easily!

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is too many is a bit of a nuisance but I think the only REAL way to control their population is access to food. Consider feeding less food at once but more times throughout the day. They tend to control their own population to the quantity of leftover uneaten food that makes it to the sandbed, and feeding less but more frequently would end with more of that food in fish tummies
I don't think this is realistic at all

If I tried to control the bristelworms, my hermits and fish wouldn't get enough food.

These guys will eat anything - including bacterial slime on sand

They're probably best controlled with a voracious predator but many of those aren't very nice - I have/had a blue coral banded shrimp but haven't seen it in quite a while

Which dips work the best to get rid of them?

Peroxide kills them almost instantly, but peroxide is rough on a lot of corals

I'll be doing a tank upgrade sometime in the future and I want to do a new aquascape and dip all my corals before they go in to purge bristleworms

I think they're just as preventable as aiptasia - I just got sloppy because I didn't realize how tiny they could be (smaller than rice grains).

BriDroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I tried to control the bristelworms, my hermits and fish wouldn't get enough food.

They're probably best controlled with a voracious predator but many of those aren't very nice - I have/had a blue coral banded shrimp but haven't seen it in quite a while

I'll be doing a tank upgrade sometime in the future and I want to do a new aquascape and dip all my corals before they go in to purge bristleworms

I think they're just as preventable as aiptasia - I just got sloppy because I didn't realize how tiny they could be (smaller than rice grains).
I had a TON fall off of a couple of zoa frags when I used Brightwell KoralMD, basically one of the tea tree oil dips. They didn't like it at all!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They're absolutely not as preventable as aiptasia. Even tanks with voracious bristleworm predators have bristleworms. Their populations are heavily controlled and you may never see them, but they're there. Imo they're much more akin to pods where you just end up with them eventually no matter what you do.

Also for really controlling bristleworm pops you need a BIG fish and a truly predatorial fish (read: also usually nibbles hermits, snails, and small shrimp). We're talking triggers, large wrasse, puffers, or hogfish of fish we usually see in the hobby.

What are you feeding and how often? Bristleworms can absolutely be controlled by feeding quantity, and that's how a lot of people with large tanks who want to keep inverts control their bristleworm population.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of hate for bristleworms yet fire worms what I'd want to avoid. Not sure size matters but as mentioned the traps are an option.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're absolutely not as preventable as aiptasia. Even tanks with voracious bristleworm predators have bristleworms. Their populations are heavily controlled and you may never see them, but they're there. Imo they're much more akin to pods where you just end up with them eventually no matter what you do.

Also for really controlling bristleworm pops you need a BIG fish and a truly predatorial fish (read: also usually nibbles hermits, snails, and small shrimp). We're talking triggers, large wrasse, puffers, or hogfish of fish we usually see in the hobby.

What are you feeding and how often? Bristleworms can absolutely be controlled by feeding quantity, and that's how a lot of people with large tanks who want to keep inverts control their bristleworm population.

I feed frozen twice a day, and just enough so that there’s some food for the hermits

Bristleworms can absolutely be prevented

You get them from rock or sand or coral frags (or macro algae)

I screwed up and stopped dipping a bunch of my coral frags because some don’t like dips and I didn’t realize they start so small - I figured you’d see them easily and they’d only come in on large colonies

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen twice a day, and just enough so that there’s some food for the hermits

Bristleworms can absolutely be prevented

You get them from rock or sand or coral frags (or macro algae)

I screwed up and stopped dipping a bunch of my coral frags because some don’t like dips and I didn’t realize they start so small - I figured you’d see them easily and they’d only come in on large colonies
If there's food on the bottom for hermits crabs, bristleworms are eating 5x as much of it. You really don't need to worry about hermits getting settled food on the sandbed. I haven't watched a hermits eat more than 5-10 times in 7 years and I still have some of my original blue leg hermits and some at least 6 year old scarlet hermits in my tank. Visible food making it to the bottom of the tank for CUC = too much imo and very happy bellied bristleworms.

And at the end of the day if you think bristleworms are as preventable as aiptasia I'm not going to change your mind, but I will just say that it is pretty challenging to have a system where you kill the dozens of inverts living in and under the skeleton of corals you buy without losing almost all your coral. If you want to argue that bristleworms are theoretically avoidable, sure. Life does not spontaneously appear.

Practically, however, bristleworms are an inevitability in almost every tank in existence. I have yet to meet someone irl who didn't have bristleworms in their tank if you know where to look. I've heard strangers on the internet (usually newer reefers) say they didn't have them or other reefers say they don't have them because they pull all the ones they see (there 100x more in your tank than the ones visible at any given time) or they have a predator (they hide like every other organism when being predated).

I've seen plenty of tanks without aiptasia including my own.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have Bristleworms for over a year. Not a single one.

They showed up maybe 6 months ago so they were probably introduced 3 months before that.

Small frags, dip, dry rock and clean chaeto and you won't have any bristleworms. I also used to religiously remove frag plugs with a dremel - but I got lazy and didn't want to damage the corals.

I would like to test and prove this with my next tank but I'm not 100% sure that the corals I bring over and dip won't harbor some

But one can hope - they are vile creatures.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back