+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very impressive.
Impressive indeed. Great Color Blend and layering too.
At that speed, it clearly proves why we need to space out our frags properly.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive indeed. Great Color Blend and layering too.
At that speed, it clearly proves why we need to space out our frags properly.

Well, I'm screwed in that department. I'd say I don't have much more than 3-4" between any two frags. . . some even less. Buying all those pretty sticks was just so addictive. :oops: The only thing that got me to stop was literally not having another space to put something in. Now I'm moving colonies around to better accommodate the growth of what I have. (But if I make some more room in the process, I know a half-dozen other acros I want! :rolleyes: :D )

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so here we go. I'm starting ten days away from home tomorrow to travel back to South Florida for Christmas and fishing. I've done all I can do: Tank is up to shape, auto feeder set, all dosing containers full, top off is full, and back up fresh and salt water in their storage tanks. I don't have an Apex; I have a Tyler. Tyler is a friend of the family that will be stopping by every two days. I've left a very detailed list and know he'll call if anything is amiss. I also have one of our security cameras trained on the sump so I can check in.

No matter the preparation, I'm going to be nervous as heck. Almost every time I've left something has happened and I've suffered a loss. Fingers crossed that we change luck this trip.

Tank looks about as well as it ever has with the evening blues on. Everything is growing, colorful and healthy. (Famous last words?)

mJgvymT.jpg

bcdDLfb.jpg

hiaScbT.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so here we go. I'm starting ten days away from home tomorrow to travel back to South Florida for Christmas and fishing. I've done all I can do: Tank is up to shape, auto feeder set, all dosing containers full, top off is full, and back up fresh and salt water in their storage tanks. I don't have an Apex; I have a Tyler. Tyler is a friend of the family that will be stopping by every two days. I've left a very detailed list and know he'll call if anything is amiss. I also have one of our security cameras trained on the sump so I can check in.

No matter the preparation, I'm going to be nervous as heck. Almost every time I've left something has happened and I've suffered a loss. Fingers crossed that we change luck this trip.

Tank looks about as well as it ever has with the evening blues on. Everything is growing, colorful and healthy. (Famous last words?)

mJgvymT.jpg

bcdDLfb.jpg

hiaScbT.jpg
WOW!!!

Absolutely Amazing. From Top to Bottom, from Left to Right and everywhere in between!!!

I really love the shape the Forest Fire and the Colony just right of it.

What in the world was the trick to get that kind of recovery, and so fast? Would you say it was the Coral Essentials? Or just Attention and Tender Loving Care? Or both?

All the best on your trip. I know the feeling of concern, when things seem to always go up side down when one leaves a tank to fate.
However this time you have something Better than an Apex. Trust worthy Tyler.
Take care, and all the best.

Wally

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!!

Absolutely Amazing. From Top to Bottom, from Left to Right and everywhere in between!!!

I really love the shape the Forest Fire and the Colony just right of it.

What in the world was the trick to get that kind of recovery, and so fast? Would you say it was the Coral Essentials? Or just Attention and Tender Loving Care? Or both?

All the best on your trip. I know the feeling of concern, when things seem to always go up side down when one leaves a tank to fate.
However this time you have something Better than an Apex. Trust worthy Tyler.
Take care, and all the best.

Wally

As always, I appreciate your kind words. I'll answer and then I got to hit the hay! :)

The damage from the alk spike earlier this Fall was brutal, but limited to the left side of the tank. There's kinda a bald spot on top of the rocks where the damaged colonies were. Luckily I have some great reef friends up in Austin who are always willing to clip a frag when asked, foremost of which is Farmer Ty. I was able to get back the majority of the species I lost, but they're starting back again at frag stage. I also picked up a RR Pink Cadilac, RMF Flavo Parade, and TKC Dragon Fire. Looking forward to those three growing out.

On the digitas - it's actually two digi's: a Forest Fire and a CB Bubble Gum. I put them next to each other to see what would happen. They grow close, but don't touch. The large one to the right of them is a montipora spongodes. I tried to sell that huge colony a couple months ago for $50 - no one wanted it. :( Now I sort of like having it again.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the reef gods were with me this trip as the tank didn't seem to miss a beat while I was away for 12 days. I'm knocking on wood as I type this to ensure that some unknown calamity is not about to strike while sitting here gloating as if I actually planned away any potential problems I may have encountered. In reality I only escaped Murphy and his Law by luck alone.

I wanted to post a picture of this great colony that I purchased during my first visit to my very first local reef club meeting/frag swap as a $10 frag from @gig 'em . It was nearly lost in my alk spike but has recovered nicely and grows like a weed. It has a Myagi Tort look to it but the name he had it by was GE Purple Orchid, and his didn't have the green in his tank. I really like this piece and it goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune for a nice acro. Plus I'm a sucker for a good comeback story.

If you are lucky enough to have access to great local reefers who have enthusiasm for sharing and helping assist people new to the hobby you have a great advantage over those who go it alone. Join a local reef club and attend the meetings - I bet you'll be surprised. ;)

Z0VA8m9l.jpg

C1k49tMl.jpg

n0y2zo5l.jpg

x4ywnM2.jpg

Q4mF3OEh.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerTy

Follow me on Instagram: black_label_aquatics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the reef gods were with me this trip as the tank didn't seem to miss a beat while I was away for 12 days. I'm knocking on wood as I type this to ensure that some unknown calamity is not about to strike while sitting here gloating as if I actually planned away any potential problems I may have encountered. In reality I only escaped Murphy and his Law by luck alone.

I wanted to post a picture of this great colony that I purchased during my first visit to my very first local reef club meeting/frag swap as a $10 frag from @gig 'em . It was nearly lost in my alk spike but has recovered nicely and grows like a weed. It has a Myagi Tort look to it but the name he had it by was GE Purple Orchid, and his didn't have the green in his tank. I really like this piece and it goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune for a nice acro. Plus I'm a sucker for a good comeback story.

If you are lucky enough to have access to great local reefers who have enthusiasm for sharing and helping assist people new to the hobby you have a great advantage over those who go it alone. Join a local reef club and attend the meetings - I bet you'll be surprised. ;)

Z0VA8m9l.jpg

C1k49tMl.jpg

n0y2zo5l.jpg

x4ywnM2.jpg

Q4mF3OEh.jpg
Glad everything was fine during your trip and great work on that acro frag!

gig 'em

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Z0VA8m9l.jpg

C1k49tMl.jpg

n0y2zo5l.jpg

x4ywnM2.jpg

Q4mF3OEh.jpg

Glad to hear everything turned out well for you! The GE purple orchid really is a stunner. People didn’t believe me at the swap that those frags were a diamond in the ruff! Those with faith were richly rewarded! I’ve since lurked that if I put my frags of it on the sand bed it developed that beautiful green color. Thanks for making my corals look better than I can!

BRS

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Z0VA8m9l.jpg

C1k49tMl.jpg

n0y2zo5l.jpg

x4ywnM2.jpg

Q4mF3OEh.jpg
Well that is really good news.
Glad your tank behaved while you were away. The nail biting is over.

As far as the GE Purple Orchid. Very impressive.

Interesting, I just posted a Photo on my Thread of a Frag that I have which is almost identical to yours.
It too is coloring up and is my fastest growing Frag.
45864982784_dab22cff7f_n.jpg

Looks very similar, but much smaller. Was told is was a Miyagi (Electric Miyagi), but now I have another name. "GE PURPLE ORCHID"

So do you have a timeline on how long it took yours to grow from the Size shown in the BAG, to the current photo?

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is really good news.
Glad your tank behaved while you were away. The nail biting is over.

As far as the GE Purple Orchid. Very impressive.

Interesting, I just posted a Photo on my Thread of a Frag that I have which is almost identical to yours.
It too is coloring up and is my fastest growing Frag.
45864982784_dab22cff7f_n.jpg

Looks very similar, but much smaller. Was told is was a Miyagi (Electric Miyagi), but now I have another name. "GE PURPLE ORCHID"

So do you have a timeline on how long it took yours to grow from the Size shown in the BAG, to the current photo?

I obtained it on February 24, 2018, so a little over 10 months. The "GE" in the name refers to "gig 'em" so I'd have to defer to him as far as where he originally obtained it. Under his lighting and placement his colony had a white to cream colored flesh with purple tips. It was browned out when I first put it in my tank and then colored up to the green I have. Side by side his and mine would look completely different, although he remarked above how his now has some green since lowering it to the sand.

I have a fairly new Cultivated Reef's Electric Miyagi also and it looks like your pic. I find the high contrast of the lime green and purple tips on both corals very appealing.

PIWN6hCl.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obtained it on February 24, 2018, so a little over 10 months. The "GE" in the name refers to "gig 'em" so I'd have to defer to him as far as where he originally obtained it. Under his lighting and placement his colony had a white to cream colored flesh with purple tips. It was browned out when I first put it in my tank and then colored up to the green I have. Side by side his and mine would look completely different, although he remarked above how his now has some green since lowering it to the sand.

I have a fairly new Cultivated Reef's Electric Miyagi also and it looks like your pic. I find the high contrast of the lime green and purple tips on both corals very appealing.

PIWN6hCl.jpg
Thanks for the clarification.

But interesting for me to look at the photo you posted. Not the Electric Miyagi but the Bonsai and other sps in the background.

You are a bit ahead of me on tank maturity so seeing you frags entrusting and needed so much space is a early warning to me. My frags are way to close to each othe on rock placement. I better move and remove some, before plugs encrust on rocks. Some already TOO LATE.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clarification.

But interesting for me to look at the photo you posted. Not the Electric Miyagi but the Bonsai and other sps in the background.

You are a bit ahead of me on tank maturity so seeing you frags entrusting and needed so much space is a early warning to me. My frags are way to close to each othe on rock placement. I better move and remove some, before plugs encrust on rocks. Some already TOO LATE.

While I'm concerned, I'm not overly hung up on the placement, and here's why:
  • Everything is more or less 4" or more from one another. I kind of like the idea of a wild garden and letting everything sort itself out as it grows with a little help.
  • I'm looking forward to having the ability to frag to share and to trade.
  • Colonies can come off the rock, even when encrusted, and relocated with reef putty and glue. What encrustment is left can be covered or scraped, so it isn't necessarily a permanent thing.
  • A lot of my frags are actually on a small rock or putty ball so I can move them if needed.
  • I did a lot of planning before placement: Plating acros are under branching acros or placed to create future ledges/shelves. Large, fast growers were placed high and behind. The direction of the lighting was considered. Acros that I knew would need to be fragged often are placed on removable rocks.
What I did wrong:
  • Encrusting montis. I was warned; did it anyway. My Jedi Mind Trick is on a piece of base rock and it is already a problem.
  • Not letting frags at least start to develop axial coralites before placing. I had "the perfect spot" for some frags and mounted them before seeing if they even would take off on a frag rack. I've got some wasted real estate that I used up on duds.
Besides, if the tank in the picture below worked, I can make my slightly crowded placement work for sure! :eek::D

Trusheim-Main-Front.jpg

Last edited:
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back