Should I just restart or just give up.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TangerineSpeedo has a good point. I realize that your age and dependence on others to get supplies and hardware is a frustrating thing. And SW tanks can be a money pit. But to some extent they're only as expensive as you make them. You've got a good sized tank and with it comes certain expectations (good husbandry at the forefront). While you're fixing this issue, I'd actually open a word document and start writing out your goals for this tank. And with each goal, include what you need to do to realize success. If it costs money, write that down too. Doing simple things such as this will bring to bear the challenges you face and the cost of doing business. With my upcoming build, for example, I outlined every facet of what I needed to be successful. In the course of my research, I found that my expectations would not be served with what I first presumed would be required. I found where I could save money and, alternatively, where I needed to spend more. I ain't there yet, but I'm getting close. My point is 'planning for' is far better than 'reacting to'. And it seems like you've been reacting quite a bit. On the positive front, we don't see that many of your age group willing to accept the challenges inherent with this hobby. That speaks to your character. It's a good thing. You just need to tighten up on your discipline. Sorry, I'm getting awfully close to waxing poetic. For this, I apologize. There. LOL, end of Boomer lecture :)

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen anyone ask you what type of filtrations you’re running. You have a lightly stocked tank so I don’t get why your nitrates would be so high. One of my system is a Red Sea AIO about 70 gallons and I have 13 fish total. All lil guys but still heavily stocked and my nitrates only get to 20 at a high. So what are you running filter wise and maybe I figure out where this is coming from. Also maybe post a quick pic of your set up. I’m sure between us we’ll get you together. I’ve been doin this for 20+ years now.
I use a tidal HOB 110 using matrix fluvial quick clear carbon and marineland floss

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TangerineSpeedo has a good point. I realize that your age and dependence on others to get supplies and hardware is a frustrating thing. And SW tanks can be a money pit. But to some extent they're only as expensive as you make them. You've got a good sized tank and with it comes certain expectations (good husbandry at the forefront). While you're fixing this issue, I'd actually open a word document and start writing out your goals for this tank. And with each goal, include what you need to do to realize success. If it costs money, write that down too. Doing simple things such as this will bring to bear the challenges you face and the cost of doing business. With my upcoming build, for example, I outlined every facet of what I needed to be successful. In the course of my research, I found that my expectations would not be served with what I first presumed would be required. I found where I could save money and, alternatively, where I needed to spend more. I ain't there yet, but I'm getting close. My point is 'planning for' is far better than 'reacting to'. And it seems like you've been reacting quite a bit. On the positive front, we don't see that many of your age group willing to accept the challenges inherent with this hobby. That speaks to your character. It's a good thing. You just need to tighten up on your discipline. Sorry, I'm getting awfully close to waxing poetic. For this, I apologize. There. LOL, end of Boomer lecture :)
Sounds very good. And I read it all thank you.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah....Sorry. I get verbose at times......
It's fine I liked it. Here's that list

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen anyone ask you what type of filtrations you’re running. You have a lightly stocked tank so I don’t get why your nitrates would be so high. One of my system is a Red Sea AIO about 70 gallons and I have 13 fish total. All lil guys but still heavily stocked and my nitrates only get to 20 at a high. So what are you running filter wise and maybe I figure out where this is coming from. Also maybe post a quick pic of your set up. I’m sure between us we’ll get you together. I’ve been doin this for 20+ years now.
Just got my mom to reorder my carbon and some rx flux.

ozs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed what looks like some aiptasia in the pictures you posted. I don't have any tips on how to beat them back aside from berghia nudibranchs, which cost money, but perhaps somebody else can chime in with some tips for you. It looks like you've got a big one right next to your frogspawn.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have battles GHA for years in my tank. GHA has never left my tank it won't stop can't control my nitrates and I can't keep any LPS alive. My tank is 65 gallons it has a marble wrasse a royal grama and a singular clownfish the other three have jumped out. Water changes won't work or anything. What should I do I just want the GHA out of my tank that's all I want at this point.
I battled some gha for about a month and used brightwell razor and never seen my rocks do clean maybe worth a shot gotta use the instructions

Vetekli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We probably dont have the exact same algea but i have something that looks like GHA. I got myself a wedge sea hare and he eats tons of it. It took a while but months later it was almost gone. I did have macro algea in there too though.

I later moved everything over to another tank and it broke out again, so now hes munching away at it there instead. I´ve had him for almost a year total now.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We probably dont have the exact same algea but i have something that looks like GHA. I got myself a wedge sea hare and he eats tons of it. It took a while but months later it was almost gone. I did have macro algea in there too though.

I later moved everything over to another tank and it broke out again, so now hes munching away at it there instead. I´ve had him for almost a year total now.
I'm gonna try and get a dollabella sea hare

InvictusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use a tidal HOB 110 using matrix fluvial quick clear carbon and marineland floss
I would start with a minimum 50% water change. Change out all
@InvictusReef is there anything with my filtration I could change besides a skimmer?
not having a sump probably not. A skimmer is going to be huge though. That’s the main export for nutrients in any system. If you think about systems with sumps that really the only thing most reefers have in there is a skimmer. Some people put back to balls and other things of that sort but that’s just for bacterial growth. If you have live rock, it should be sufficient for the amount of livestock that you have. You definitely need to get a skimmer ASAP it doesn’t need to be new so check eBay sometimes you can find some really good deals on Amazon also But also make sure to check the reviews before you purchase.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a minimum 50% water change. Change out all

not having a sump probably not. A skimmer is going to be huge though. That’s the main export for nutrients in any system. If you think about systems with sumps that really the only thing most reefers have in there is a skimmer. Some people put back to balls and other things of that sort but that’s just for bacterial growth. If you have live rock, it should be sufficient for the amount of livestock that you have. You definitely need to get a skimmer ASAP it doesn’t need to be new so check eBay sometimes you can find some really good deals on Amazon also But also make sure to check the reviews before you purchase.
I don't get it what's so good about a skimmer I never really thought of it as being necessary... Someone sent me a nano skimmer that would work but barely. I think I'm gonna do an icecap skimmer.

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you gave any thought about selling your setup and maybe getting an Innovative Marine 15 All in One? Since you're in school it would be easier to manage, and the costs of upkeep would be much better. Ultimate Aquariums has a ton in stock also.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you gave any thought about selling your setup and maybe getting an Innovative Marine 15 All in One? Since you're in school it would be easier to manage, and the costs of upkeep would be much better. Ultimate Aquariums has a ton in stock also.
I've got one of those lol I bought one from him actually. Ill be setting that up much later with pipefish etc.

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one of those lol I bought one from him actually. Ill be setting that up much later with pipefish etc.
Would have helped if I paid attention to your signature lol Anyways if I was in, your shoes Id shift my attention to the smaller tank, make it beautiful and show it off to your parents and maybe win their support until you can fund the larger tank without their pocketbook.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have helped if I paid attention to your signature lol Anyways if I was in, your shoes Id shift my attention to the smaller tank, make it beautiful and show it off to your parents and maybe win their support until you can fund the larger tank without their pocketbook.
I mean I don't wanna abandon my 65g. I wanna add many things I just need a skimmer. But I cant find a good HOB one and the icecap doesn't even HOB. I need to find something under 130$

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back