Should I just restart or just give up.

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have battles GHA for years in my tank. GHA has never left my tank it won't stop can't control my nitrates and I can't keep any LPS alive. My tank is 65 gallons it has a marble wrasse a royal grama and a singular clownfish the other three have jumped out. Water changes won't work or anything. What should I do I just want the GHA out of my tank that's all I want at this point.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a refugium with chaeto or ATS?

What else have you done? Sipho during water changes, manual pulling? Do you have snails/urchins?
I have an urchin I have at least 30 snails. I siphon during water changes I manual pull nothing works ever. Manual pull has never worked. The sea hare died that I tried to put in.

DaddyDaughterNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GHA was a routine issue for me as well until I essentially re-started my tank over the summer. I was re-scaping, so I took all the rock out and did a major vacuum cleaning of the gravel while the water siphoned out. I was shocked by how much detritus was in there. Getting all of it out and starting with new rock has been huge. I haven't had any algae issues at all. (Knock on wood).

I've also had a lot of luck maintaining stable parameters with Tropic Marin Elimi-NP and now NP Bacto-Balance.

What are your parameters? And what do you mean by you can't control nitrates? Are they routinely increasing?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA was a routine issue for me as well until I essentially re-started my tank over the summer. I was re-scaping, so I took all the rock out and did a major vacuum cleaning of the gravel while the water siphoned out. I was shocked by how much detritus was in there. Getting all of it out and starting with new rock has been huge. I haven't had any algae issues at all. (Knock on wood).

I've also had a lot of luck maintaining stable parameters with Tropic Marin Elimi-NP and now NP Bacto-Balance.

What are your parameters? And what do you mean by you can't control nitrates? Are they routinely increasing?
Not sure what my parameters are. My kit is expired I need to save my money for my next purchase... I'm 14 my parents don't support me whatsoever they complain if I ask to order ANYTHING and then they'll go and complain about how dirty the tank is. Not sure about a rip clean

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would assume he's dealing with large nitrate swings because gha is an amazing nutrient export, hence it's use in algae scrubbers. So when he removes gha nitrates go up and when gha comes back they go back down.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume he's dealing with large nitrate swings because gha is an amazing nutrient export, hence it's use in algae scrubbers. So when he removes gha nitrates go up and when gha comes back they go back down.
No it's always high always off the charts or at 80 I'm dosing flux tonight. Setting up my fuge and getting a sea hare.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's always high always off the charts or at 80 I'm dosing flux tonight. Setting up my fuge and getting a sea hare.
Oh ok, that was just an assumption, I cant really help very much I've only had mild gha that is currently dying back. That was my issues with it.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, that was just an assumption, I cant really help very much I've only had mild gha that is currently dying back. That was my issues with it.
Alright. I'm so tired of it hopefully I didn't throw my flux away I'll have to check.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000000373.jpg
1000000372.jpg
1000000371.jpg

1000000374.jpg

BetteMidler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you only have a Tidal 110 for mechanical filtration. That may not enough. You need some type of nutrient export. A refugium, scrubber, skimmer, or plain old water changes would be beneficial. Since you tank is not plumbed with a sump. Your options are limited. I would cut way back on feeding if possible & stick with a strict water change regiment for now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi,
I have battles GHA for years in my tank. GHA has never left my tank it won't stop can't control my nitrates and I can't keep any LPS alive. My tank is 65 gallons it has a marble wrasse a royal grama and a singular clownfish the other three have jumped out. Water changes won't work or anything. What should I do I just want the GHA out of my tank that's all I want at this point.
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
How are you testing your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?
A screen top may be a serious consideration

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back