Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I circled the parts that would make me hate my life. IF That is part of the tank. I would not be able to live with it.

Attachments

• aqueon.jpeg
    aqueon.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 48
Top Shelf Aquatics

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey if it’s hidden then that’s just extra leak protection……. Way too much extra “but hey the warranty guy got canned last week. So we’re taking extra precautions”…that was 5 years ago and they haven’t had a leak since hahajk

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I circled the parts that would make me hate my life. IF That is part of the tank. I would not be able to live with it.
I see the top where the silicone is oozing out the seam. That would bug me too right away. The bottom looks like you circled the trim, maybe the angle of the picture?

AS

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the top where the silicon is oozing out the seam. That would bug me too right away. The bottom looks like you circled the trim, maybe the angle of the picture?
That what I thought it was also. The bottom and top rim.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the top where the silicone is oozing out the seam. That would bug me too right away. The bottom looks like you circled the trim, maybe the angle of the picture?
Bottom could be trim. A different view of the glass would be nice, but he may have went for an exchange.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey if it’s hidden then that’s just extra leak protection……. Way too much extra “but hey the warranty guy got canned last week. So we’re taking extra precautions”…that was 5 years ago and they haven’t had a leak since hahajk
The inside is never an issue. I don't worry about the globs. You only see those looking for them,

Top Shelf Aquatics

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That what I thought it was also. The bottom and top rim.
On the glass at the top. you can see the silicon is poking out. It's a difficult spot, but I see it. Not the rim either.

I did a yellow line

aqueon.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the glass at the top. you can see the silicon is poking out. It's a difficult spot, but I see it. Not the rim either.
It's hard to tell but I don't think that's silicone that has squished out. It looks to me that the way the glass is lapped into the corner any silicon that squished out would come forward toward the camera and not sideways to where it would stick out to the left of the tank.

Unless you're talking about the silicone that is sticking out under the top rim which is what I think that is. I doubt it goes down farther than the rim though

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell but I don't think that's silicone that has squished out. It looks to me that the way the glass is lapped into the corner any silicon that squished out would come forward toward the camera and not sideways to where it would stick out to the left of the tank.

Unless you're talking about the silicone that is sticking out under the top rim which is what I think that is. I doubt it goes down farther than the rim though
It's very displeasing to see, I don't have the ability to see it in person. That top portion would cause me to throw a fit if the glass is off, or silicone is squished out. The companies say "any modification removes warranty". Even if you paint the back of the glass.

OP
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom could be trim. A different view of the glass would be nice, but he may have went for an exchange.
No it’s still in my garage. I will try to get some better angles after lunch but the side you pointed out has a bit of silicone on the outside smeared. I’ll get better pics of that to.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also thought it could have been from under the trim but the glass has silicone between panes so I think it could be either or

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also thought it could have been from under the trim but the glass has silicone between panes so I think it could be either or
The OP seems to have confirmed it was silicone on the outside of the glass. Which I agree would bug me. Seems like it'd be easy to scrape off with a razor blade as long as you don't cut into the silicone in the joint. It is sad though that someone who bought a new tank would then need to scrape away extra silicone to make it somewhat presentable.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very displeasing to see, I don't have the ability to see it in person. That top portion would cause me to throw a fit if the glass is off, or silicone is squished out. The companies say "any modification removes warranty". Even if you paint the back of the glass.
I haven’t done anything but remove the cardboard so they shouldn’t try and pull that one lol. Silicone definitely squished out then was wiped flat. I hope they are able to just swap it for a better one or take is as a return. If not hopefully it looks decent when the tank is full because I don’t really want to buy another new tank. Everything looks good other than the silicone, they would be really nice tanks if they took a few mins extra on each one.

OP
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP seems to have confirmed it was silicone on the outside of the glass. Which I agree would bug me. Seems like it'd be easy to scrape off with a razor blade as long as you don't cut into the silicone in the joint. It is sad though that someone who bought a new tank would then need to scrape away extra silicone to make it somewhat presentable.
I don’t even want to risk that. Considered it but I don’t think it would be worth the risk honestly. Even if it’s a 1% more chance of failure or leaks after doing that it’s not worth it to me. Gonna go take those pics in a min and report back.

Spieg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a Aquion tank at Petco last weekend. They had over a dozen tanks of the same size and every one had silicone like that. You can try to exchange but you may end up with something the same or even worse. Seems like that is standard quality for the company.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sad though that someone who bought a new tank would then need to scrape away extra silicone to make it somewhat presentable.
Could not agree more, they say you get what you pay for but this is a large company. That overspray would take all of 5sec to clean off during fabrication.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even want to risk that. Considered it but I don’t think it would be worth the risk honestly. Even if it’s a 1% more chance of failure or leaks after doing that it’s not worth it to me. Gonna go take those pics in a min and report back.
How about the other side? I mean, you could have one side that is sloppy and a presentable other side.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. They have gotten really lazy.

How about the other sides? Are those nice?
That side would be the short side of the tank but the one you would see as you walk up to it from the kitchen because out of the two that look the nicest for the front that’s how it lands. If it was the opposite corner it wouldn’t have mattered because it would pretty much be up against a wall. At the end of the day it’s still gonna look awesome once it’s stocked and that’s that goal but a bit of a bummer to start out like this if it can’t be remediated somehow.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Diaper
Back