Setting up tank

siikm3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!
Last night I set up my Red Sea max nano 20g i purchased used.
So I added live sand and real reef rock and made salt water from LFS and also added DR Tim’s one and only. Am I missing anything else?
I did ask LFS and said I should be good with that and be good to add fish in a week or 2.
Also I’m not sure if it’s true but I’ve seen post where ppl say to remove sock when adding the Dr tims oao? How true is that?
Pls advice!

IMG_6230.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you're on your way. My recommendations would be to at least double your rock and get some good tests like hanna or salifert

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe even some established wet live rock from your LFS or local reefer. Then the cycle isn't an issue any more.

OP
OP
siikm3

siikm3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you're on your way. My recommendations would be to at least double your rock and get some good tests like hanna or salifert
Awsome thank you!
For rocks I still do have some but they are a bit smaller than the one in picture, should I put them in there?
Or buy a bigger one and add?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking setup! I'll add that typically yes, you remove the filter socks or other mechanical media during the initial nitrogen cycle. You want the bacteria to populate the rock and sand.

Good luck with your new tank!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome thank you!
For rocks I still do have some but they are a bit smaller than the one in picture, should I put them in there?
Or buy a bigger one and add?
Smaller pieced together is always best as it creates more caves and hiding areas. If buying more I'd recommend kp or tbs ocean live rock.

OP
OP
siikm3

siikm3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking setup! I'll add that typically yes, you remove the filter socks or other mechanical media during the initial nitrogen cycle. You want the bacteria to populate the rock and sand.

Good luck with your new tank!
Thank you!
Should I remove the sock now or is it late?
I do have the pump running also…leave it running?
And for rock I added all the remaining lol
IMG_6232.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6233.jpeg
    IMG_6233.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
siikm3

siikm3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller pieced together is always best as it creates more caves and hiding areas. If buying more I'd recommend kp or tbs ocean live rock.
Added the remaining!
Made more of like a second cave towards the back!
Hopefully it’s enough rocking
IMG_6232.jpeg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Enough rock" is a little subjective, if you're happy with your rockscape then it's good to go! With your sand bed, you're not going to be at a loss for surface area for bacteria to populate, so use as much or as little rock as you'd like.

Go ahead and remove the sock now, and definitely leave your pump running throughout the cycle.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock dictates the ability to handle a bioload as well as safe areas for fish. Figure that every cave or hiding spot equals the ability to keep 1 fish or pair.

OP
OP
siikm3

siikm3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Enough rock" is a little subjective, if you're happy with your rockscape then it's good to go! With your sand bed, you're not going to be at a loss for surface area for bacteria to populate, so use as much or as little rock as you'd like.

Go ahead and remove the sock now, and definitely leave your pump running throughout the cycle.
Thank you so much!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back