Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a few more corals to the tank yesterday. So far so good. The SPS were dying a slow death in one of the holding tanks so I took a shot. We’ll see how they do.

45AF3BA8-1146-4F35-891D-63FA9EA8DCB2.jpeg

875B6F7E-7BE7-4A6B-BEA3-F70758BD7D9D.jpeg

F49B1684-0A83-4035-94C9-535D90C4AA17.jpeg

5042AD8E-81DB-4306-BDC6-82F71C728773.jpeg

Corals.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they be kept if there are others like Bartlett’s or square backs
Well this is my 1st one so Im no expert but I believe most can be kept together without too much trouble. Not sure if the success rates change when keeping groups Vs. singles. I would like to add a Borbonius some day which Ive seen kept with Sunburst. I actually think there were a bunch of Bartletts in the tank with the Sunburst when I bought him.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking those WAV pumps?
My gosh are they strong! It wouldnt be fair to compare them with anything ive used before. Ive gone to rotating one side on with the opposite side flat out off to keep my hammers happy. Theyll be moved out or relocated as we add sticks.

My only complaint thus far is that they’re not the easiest to open up and clean which Ive done once so far. Needed to use brute force to get one impellar out which worries me that Ill snap something one day.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gosh are they strong! It wouldnt be fair to compare them with anything ive used before. Ive gone to rotating one side on with the opposite side flat out off to keep my hammers happy. Theyll be moved out or relocated as we add sticks.

My only complaint thus far is that they’re not the easiest to open up and clean which Ive done once so far. Needed to use brute force to get one impellar out which worries me that Ill snap something one day.

I've always read that those WAV pumps push a lot of water. I bet they would make a killing if they made a smaller version of that pump for those of us with nano tanks! They are more painful to take apart than the gyre??!? haha

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always read that those WAV pumps push a lot of water. I bet they would make a killing if they made a smaller version of that pump for those of us with nano tanks! They are more painful to take apart than the gyre??!? haha
It really is surprising they havent made something to compete with an MP-10 yet. I'd expect that to be the bigger market really...

What's funny is one of the pumps broke down to clean in 5 seconds flat but the other took 10 minutes and every bit of strength I had in my fingers and wrist to twist out of the motor block. Different kind of painful I suppose, Its definitely not Gyre tedious with all the little pieces but..

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i tossed this rock that had a little GSP growing on it in a bucket and put outside a week or so ago. We’ve had freezing temps and rain but is it me or does it look like I could recover this GSP even now? I might try a small piece for the heck of it.

E912FD51-5C40-44B6-98BD-3541B96F59BB.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i tossed this rock that had a little GSP growing on it in a bucket and put outside a week or so ago. We’ve had freezing temps and rain but is it me or does it look like I could recover this GSP even now? I might try a small piece for the heck of it.

View attachment 936093

Surprised it isn’t growing and thriving even outside!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised it isn’t growing and thriving even outside!
Seriously! Im going to snip a piece and drop it into the fuge and just wait a couple days. We may have found the invincible coral strain! LoL

World Wide Corals

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a good way to find exact center over tank when ceiling mounting lights? I’m always off a half inch one way or another. There’s also a specific tool I’m thinking of to help and I have no idea what its called... It has a long string or wire that hangs down with a pointed weight that would settle over a point.

i know that probably doesn’t help much.
I'm just starting your thread so this question may have been answered already but here we go: plumb bob.
Ok saw the answer 2 posts later.

Nice build, Following along!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just starting your thread so this question may have been answered already but here we go: plumb bob
Haha, Yes. We get a chuckle out of that a little farther along :)
Thanks for stopping in, Hope you enjoy it!

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am looking for multiple sources of biodiversity. My build has been slowed down for financial reasons. Currently just nearing the end of my Diatom phase. However as Financing comes available I plan to get some GARF Grunge and then I plan on getting 10 lbs of live rock from KP Aquatics. I also plan on getting some mud during low tide from several islands along the South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida coasts. I live in Augusta, GA so I'm a 3 hour drive from several locations.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am looking for multiple sources of biodiversity. My build has been slowed down for financial reasons. Currently just nearing the end of my Diatom phase. However as Financing comes available I plan to get some GARF Grunge and then I plan on getting 10 lbs of live rock from KP Aquatics. I also plan on getting some mud during low tide from several islands along the South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida coasts. I live in Augusta, GA so I'm a 3 hour drive from several locations.
Sounds like a solid plan to me. Just be careful of where you collect your mud. The farther off the beaten path the better as Im sure you know.

What are you planning to keep? If youve got a build thread going post a link so I can pop over and check it out.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back