Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
BTW .....yours looks way more well thought out :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::face-with-tears-of-joy:
hehe thanks! its literally a 140mm fan from microcenter for $13 and a power adapter I got from goodwill for $3. A little 3D case and it looks official! I suppose I could have just mounted it using long screws even (no 3D printing required...*gasp*) but it'd be black then and not go with my white motif.
If you ever want any 3D stuff let me know. I am sure someone has done custom parts for those bio cubes.

AS

rmorris_14

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe thanks! its literally a 140mm fan from microcenter for $13 and a power adapter I got from goodwill for $3. A little 3D case and it looks official! I suppose I could have just mounted it using long screws even (no 3D printing required...*gasp*)

"(no 3D printing required...*gasp*)" :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

and not go with my white motif.
If you ever want any 3D stuff let me know. I am sure someone has done custom parts for those bio cubes.
Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind. :smiling-face::smiling-face::smiling-face:,I almost task you about making a feeding hole cover for my evo, so there would be almost no evaporation. But I decided against it, because I already struggle with the PH in that tank.

907_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3D printer work is making me gealous! I need one! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Ordered a few things from Fish of Hex this week to check some of their 3D stuff out. The amount of little bits and pieces you can make to tune things up here and there is awesome!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The fish cave is shaping up to be pretty instrumental in raising the baby cardinalfish. I finally have a spot todo all the stuff needed for them. I just got a new brine shrimp grow out tank and just cleaned out and started a new batch of brine shrimp in the original container.
I'm up to almost 3 full gallons of Phyto! I only started with the last 3 fingers of a 16oz bottle. I've been using these instructions.
IMG_1154.JPEG

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Alk, Ca, and Mg are starting to really get used. I've been having to dose 2-part nightly as I increase my Kalk to keep my levels. I STN'd/RTN'd (I dunno difference) an SPS that was just holding on the first night a few days ago that I noticed all my levels were being depleted quickly; I may have spiked the Alk a little a few days ago. everyone else seems to be ok with it. Thankfully it was an inexpensive one I got at a fish show that was never very promising. My Mg was down to 1100 so I've been slowly increasing that over the past few nights. I should be in the 1200s after last night's dose.

I guess I'm still at the nightly test phase.

After putting in the fan my temperature variability has significantly dropped. I need to put it on a timer (the two hood fans are on the same psu) so it doesn't run all night. I put the fan in right at the peak that flat-lines for a bit. The big peaks and valleys are replaced by more jitter around the target temp! yay.
tempAfterFan.jpg

I hope to gosh one of you bought that apex classic with 2 EB8 that sold on ebay for like $160

Last edited:
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Several days ago I noticed my Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium were really low so I started dosing but I may have dosed to much Alk on that first day and I noticed an acro STNing (or RTNing i dont know difference). I didn't think too much about it because that stick was always having issues. But now I notice two others with white patches.
What do I do to save them?
should I cut a frag of a good portion and hope? Or just leave alone and hope?
below are my latest numbers:
Big3AfterAlkSpike.jpg

Obviously I have learned my lesson about getting 'back-on-track' so quickly. Now I am trying to mitigate my stupidity.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
hard to see because of the angle; I wouldn't be able to get meaningful photos. One frag is pretty big; the other is pretty small. surprisingly they both seemed to really perk-up a day or two after I adjusted levels.
I really need to rent PAR meter. I bet I am blasting everyone with the K7s and the T5s. BlueLineCorals 1/2 hour from me has for $25 for a week... I just need todo it... Am frantically renovating the kitchen when the family is away so don't really have the time.

Nutramar Foods

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to see because of the angle; I wouldn't be able to get meaningful photos. One frag is pretty big; the other is pretty small. surprisingly they both seemed to really perk-up a day or two after I adjusted levels.
I really need to rent PAR meter. I bet I am blasting everyone with the K7s and the T5s. BlueLineCorals 1/2 hour from me has for $25 for a week... I just need todo it... Am frantically renovating the kitchen when the family is away so don't really have the time.
If the recession stops. Leave it. If you notice they are still losing tissue, time to frag. Since this is an od issue, the coral shouldn't be suffering from infection, but could be. They can reclaim the skeleton and regrow tissue over it. Keep an eye on the coral, if it does get worse, frag time.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I need to delete OfferUp from my phone... Just found my Exile tank replacement! A proper frag tank for all the stuff I don't want Timmy to eat.
I got a 30Gallon Breeder (36x18x13) for $30 in great condition. - so like a short 40 breeder
I also got an extra Apex temp probe!

AS
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How are the sps? Recession stop?
Waiting for the lights. Didn't check levels last night... It had progressed a tiny bit on one of them last night

thankfully neither of these are from Adam. They're from a local reefer so I can re-trade for them which is nice because I really like them.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as long as flesh isn't peeling off the sps, I think you are alright. By peeling off, I mean the flesh waving in the water flow. That would mean infection. If not, you're all good. Just keep doing what you can.

BRS
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just as long as flesh isn't peeling off the sps, I think you are alright. By peeling off, I mean the flesh waving in the water flow. That would mean infection. If not, you're all good. Just keep doing what you can.
Its crazy, one of them has really good PE but its shadowed side (weaker side?) didn't take my alk spike well. If any are a candidate for recovery, I am hoping these are *fingers crossed*

On another note; I so want to setup my frag tank but I know I can't till later... I washed it and it is cherry - not a scratch on it - silicone in great shape. Obviously the reefer I got it from took care of it. He said he got out of the hobby after one too many losses after the inevitable emergency. I so want to buy his leftover Apex EB8 and AWC/ATO setup - too much just for an unnecessary maybe upgrade.

IMG_1196.JPEG

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should all be okay. Once you get everything dialed in again. As for the new frag setup, I got no advice. Sometimes, having automatic setup going can just be the best thing. If you are busy and want to just enjoy the tank, rather than put in work. The ATO/AWC is room of comfort for a lot of busy bodies.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think the recession has slowed - cant really tell so that is good I suppose. But now I'm seeing some damage on one of my montis - right on the edge where it would be oh-so tempting to nibble...

Ahh the frag setup would just be tied into the existing tanks. Probably instead-of the exile tank so I could just drop it in... haha I could probably have it all done in a day or two if I put my mind to it... With the DIY overflows I can make it'd be a pc of cake.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the recession has slowed - cant really tell so that is good I suppose. But now I'm seeing some damage on one of my montis - right on the edge where it would be oh-so tempting to nibble...
Most of the time angelfish don't eat sps. Keep an eye on the Timmy.
Glad to know you can't notice anymore tissue recession. You are in the clear. You know the drill :)

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most of the time angelfish don't eat sps. Keep an eye on the Timmy.
Glad to know you can't notice anymore tissue recession. You are in the clear. You know the drill :)
haha Only though reading... I want to add carbon and do some water changes?

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back