Sad torch

beginnerreefer04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any idea why this torch is looking crappy. It’s been a while since I’ve seen it fully extended but it’s sitting next to a torch that’s super happy.
Param:
Alk 8.9
Cal 450
Mg 1350
Been stable for over a month after an all drop from 9.5 to 8.9 about a month and a half ago.
I am currently fighting a hair Algee outbreak that started after my skimmer broke I have been dosing vibrant for 2 weeks now but the issue with the torch started before. Last torch that did this stayed small and shrivel for month before randomly shedding all its flesh over night. Same thing sitting next to the happy torch who’s sprouted 4+ heads since I’ve had him.

IMG_0943.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about other parameters? N and P? Any sudden changes in any parameter can cause coral " sadness"

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any idea why this torch is looking crappy. It’s been a while since I’ve seen it fully extended but it’s sitting next to a torch that’s super happy.
Param:
Alk 8.9
Cal 450
Mg 1350
Been stable for over a month after an all drop from 9.5 to 8.9 about a month and a half ago.
I am currently fighting a hair Algee outbreak that started after my skimmer broke I have been dosing vibrant for 2 weeks now but the issue with the torch started before. Last torch that did this stayed small and shrivel for month before randomly shedding all its flesh over night. Same thing sitting next to the happy torch who’s sprouted 4+ heads since I’ve had him.

IMG_0943.jpeg
What is the picture of?

I can barely see it but it looks out and happy.

0.6 alk drop is nothing to be concerned of.

Do list nutrients.
Par?

And sometimes everyone has a sad day.

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about other parameters? N and P? Any sudden changes in any parameter can cause coral " sadness"
Phosphates have been at zero ever since I started fighting the hair algae I’ve never seen nitrates move from 3 for as long as I’ve had the tank.

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the picture of?

I can barely see it but it looks out and happy.

0.6 alk drop is nothing to be concerned of.

Do list nutrients.
Par?

And sometimes everyone has a sad day.
The photo shows both torch corals. The purple one in the bottom is my torch that has been happy forever and above it on the rock you can see a little tuff of torch tenticals that is the other one. Par in that location is 140 nitrate is 3 po4 is 0 currently use to sit at .1 before algae outbreak

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably doesn't like the sand, par slightly low and your nutrients are bottomed out so corals slowly starving to death.
There a way for me to add nutrients without adding to the hair algae problem or do I need to get the algae sorted before I can worry about the coral

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There a way for me to add nutrients without adding to the hair algae problem or do I need to get the algae sorted before I can worry about the coral
GHA is common in tanks under a year old. Are you doing daily manual removal? Do you have a diverse cleaner crew? Have you temporarily reduced lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only no white? Did you raise magnesium to 1500? If your corals don't have nutrients they will starve to death irregardless of the GHA which is currently out competing them

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back