V

vdubers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe.
Once I was rid of these things, no longer the “surprise demise”

They don’t intentionally kill, some corals tolerate them better.

It was remarkable once all gone.
Yeah I get your point tbf. Will keep a close eye on them for sure.

OP
OP
V

vdubers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea the biggest culprits are 1.) pests, 2.) salinity/alk swings 3.) bacterial infections. 4.) nutrient starvation. if you cancel out 3 then all thats left is bacterial. unfortunayely there is no test for bacteria. i dosed cipro every day for 3 days, then once every 2-3 days. i ran my UV once i started on the 3 day course, into the second week. i personally ran it 24/7, i really dont know if that was good or bad to do. i suppose it could have weekend the cipro, i really dont know.
after all that was done i dosed brightwell bacteria microbacter 7 to get good bacteria back in the system

i dont remember the strength 100% for sure, but i think i took the whole pill and dissolved it in like 150 or 250mls of rodi, then dosed like 5ml per gallon or something. ugh i wish i could remember. im sure there are recomendations of strength out there, i followed one i saw somewhere. but yea i dosed a little heavy handed the first few days.

No worries thanks for your help. I am following the thread you posted at the end of your thread actually. But might do it a bit more aggressively than every other night similar to yours.

Did any of the ones with gaping mouths make a recovery or were those heads lost?

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries thanks for your help. I am following the thread you posted at the end of your thread actually. But might do it a bit more aggressively than every other night similar to yours.

Did any of the ones with gaping mouths make a recovery or were those heads lost?
they all recovered. the ones that didnt die before i started the protocol. also test aggresive. test for all the major parameters just to be absolutley sure its not a water quality issue too.

OP
OP
V

vdubers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they all recovered. the ones that didnt die before i started the protocol. also test aggresive. test for all the major parameters just to be absolutley sure its not a water quality issue too.
Thanks there is hope then. This gold one is looking a bit better than yesterday the mouth is less open. Other than nitrate the rest of my stuff is looking good. I don’t test for ammonia anymore but figured the fish would show signs first. I also have a couple acros that are doing well.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks there is hope then. This gold one is looking a bit better than yesterday the mouth is less open. Other than nitrate the rest of my stuff is looking good. I don’t test for ammonia anymore but figured the fish would show signs first. I also have a couple acros that are doing well.
if you have acros that are doing well, i would bet on bacteria. only other thing it could be is light or flow issues, but its really hard to screw flow up. if they arent swaying at all then you need more flow, if they are being whipped around super fast its too much. and for light, they sell $80 par meters on amazon. or your phone has an app called photone and if you get that you just need to spend $7 to unlock the "blue LED" analyzer and then put your phone in a waterproof or ziplock bag. wham.

good luck!

OP
OP
V

vdubers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have acros that are doing well, i would bet on bacteria. only other thing it could be is light or flow issues, but its really hard to screw flow up. if they arent swaying at all then you need more flow, if they are being whipped around super fast its too much. and for light, they sell $80 par meters on amazon. or your phone has an app called photone and if you get that you just need to spend $7 to unlock the "blue LED" analyzer and then put your phone in a waterproof or ziplock bag. wham.

good luck!
Thanks I have a par meter and think they are in around 100-150 but wouldn’t hurt to do another test. The three euphillia that didn’t make it had been there for the best part of a year so I’m sure it’s bacterial. The remaining torches are looking better by the day as I am doing the cipro treatment.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back