RODI with hose on well water

Dansters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound like a stupid question to most of you, but I’m looking to buy an RODI system and read that they do like 75-100 gpd. If I have a hose that’s connected to the filter and pumps out much more than that in a day then where does the rest of the water go? I know there’s water that’s rejected in a 3:1 ratio, but that’d mean it only takes 400 gallons in a day. The hose pumps more than that. Also, if anyone has an RODI system with a well, do you worry about leaving it on too long? Thanks for you help even though you might’ve thought this was a stupid question.

jsmkmavity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the hose you might not want the water on all the time, indoors especially, in case it burst and flood the house. Even outside it could be a problem if it burst and ran the well dry. Washing machine hoses are designed to have constant pressure, but not all garden hoses are. When you say the hose pumps more than that are you measuring it with a flow meter or do you mean it flows more than that when not connected to anything? The rodi system will restrict the flow. A 1/2" pipe can flow 12-15 gallons per minute but will only flow 1-5 gallons in 60 minutes depending on the size of the flow restrictor in the rodi system.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Your well pump may be capable of 12 to 15 gpm, but the RODI will only use a fraction of that. Just like when you open a bathroom faucet, it only puts out a small percentage of the full well pump flow.

When the pump kicks on it will fill your well tank, and the well tank will feed any downstream uses. When you drain off enough of the water and pressure from the well tank, the pump will kick back on and refill the tank.

Feel free to give us a call if you have questions.

Russ
513-312-2343

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a well you can have a CO2 problem & have to De-Gass the water before passing through the DI cannisters.
My suggestion is to call Russ & he will set you up correctly.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving an RO system on for a long period of time (e.g. 12 hrs) is not something you need to worry about with a well.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a wealth of information from my Well Driller, and from my local reef hobbyist, through Reef Clubs, on the local well water conditions. For the Cold Water Hookup, I replaced the single outlet stop valve under my Laundry Sink, with a dual outlet valve. Drilled a hole in the deck of my laundry sink. Installed a Single 1/4 turn Washing Machine Shutoff Valve, in the hole. Went from the Stop Valve to the Washing Machine shut off valve with a Stainless Steel Riser Hose. Used a Hose Bib to Murloc Adapter fitting, that came with my RO/DI Kit.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no matter how much water your well can potentially flow unrestricted its trying to force it through the pores of the RO membrane, which are so small they only let pure water through and filter out everything else....it's basically the same as only opening your faucet a trickle, the rest of the water doesn't go anywhere else...my well pump has a pressure switch that turns on the pump when the pressure drops to 40 lbs and turns it off when it hits 60...so your pump is not running all the time and building up ridiculous pressures....so I need a booster pump to bring my pressure up to 80 lbs to go through through the membrane better....

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back