Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

VAReefer1991

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really that's interesting! i usally go with the hermit crabs and PO4 remover method but i can see the imbalance of bact making a big headache in any reef
I figured i was over feeding pellets adding to the nutrients, i did run a reactor with some rowaphos and carbon, added bacteria, and now im building a frag tank cus my corals are out growing my tank haha

Mhamilton0911

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for everyone!
what your biggest hurdle you had to overcome in your reef tank when it was new and how did you beat it?

tapping fish tank GIF
My biggest newb hurdle was second guessing myself and not just going with my first instinct, particularly with equipment. Like thinking I can make do with a hob, then canister filter, then finally to an AIO which I like. I should have just done something reef designed first rather than thinking I could make it work. Definitely spend more in the long run.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for everyone!
what your biggest hurdle you had to overcome in your reef tank when it was new and how did you beat it?

tapping fish tank GIF
Properly calibrating a refractometer. I was having serious coral issues back in early 2010. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Calcium, mag, alk was extremely high when I made my salt water. Things weren't adding up.
Some people said to calibrate with r/o water, others said r/o can lead to false readings, calibrate to your targeted range.

So, long story short, I was at 1.034.... Yuh.... Never calibrated with r/o water again.

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I figured i was over feeding pellets adding to the nutrients, i did run a reactor with some rowaphos and carbon, added bacteria, and now im building a frag tank cus my corals are out growing my tank haha
sounds like its time for a new tank!!

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My biggest newb hurdle was second guessing myself and not just going with my first instinct, particularly with equipment. Like thinking I can make do with a hob, then canister filter, then finally to an AIO which I like. I should have just done something reef designed first rather than thinking I could make it work. Definitely spend more in the long run.
understandable but sometimes you have to get your hands wet first and gain the confidence you need to really make the tank as great as it can be

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Properly calibrating a refractometer. I was having serious coral issues back in early 2010. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Calcium, mag, alk was extremely high when I made my salt water. Things weren't adding up.
Some people said to calibrate with r/o water, others said r/o can lead to false readings, calibrate to your targeted range.

So, long story short, I was at 1.034.... Yuh.... Never calibrated with r/o water again.
solid lesson. keep your instruments in calibration. my issue usually is Ph Probes

VAReefer1991

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like its time for a new tank!!
got a 50gal lowboy, drilled for an eshopps eclipse m overflow, DIY my sump, DIYd my stand, need a pump still and a protein skimmer at some point.

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
you know thats one of the biggest thing i try and impart on a newbie! Test you own water often! without it you might as well be tasting your water and making adjustments
One of the things that helped me commit to testing was having a graphical display to chart and show a graph over time.
I got a used Apex and used its parameter section but I've seen people's Excel charts and think something like that would make recording the data equally as useful.

Aqua62

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for everyone!

tapping fish tank GIF
I started my first saltwater tank back in the late 80's, there wasn't much information to learn about different aspects of water chemistry or about the hobby in general then. You find out what high phosphates can do to a tank when you have grape caulerpa growing wildly from one end of the tank to the other.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
got a 50gal lowboy, drilled for an eshopps eclipse m overflow, DIY my sump, DIYd my stand, need a pump still and a protein skimmer at some point.
Make It Big Reaction GIF by Rahul Basak

I’m that bad friend that get you in trouble but you will have a sick reef

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One of the things that helped me commit to testing was having a graphical display to chart and show a graph over time.
I got a used Apex and used its parameter section but I've seen people's Excel charts and think something like that would make recording the data equally as useful.
Agreed! Gotta log it and a graph really helps you understand how stable your numbers are

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for everyone!

tapping fish tank GIF
Till not over it yet, but trying to do things halfway. But the nice power head or cobble together something, I cobble. Sump or canister filter? I'll get the can to save $100 but end up buying the sump anyway, spending more in the end. Most recently, the ro filter. Got a household one from Lowes, worked well. But made water so slowly I didn't want to use it. Also didn't have the di. Also replacement filters are proprietary and expensive. Now I have the rodi set up and the ro from Lowes I need to deal with.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Question for everyone!

tapping fish tank GIF
My magnetic glass scraper leeched into my 75 gallon tank and wiped out a bunch of my corals at the same time I was battling Monti Eating Nudibranches.

I decided it was time and upgraded to my 125. Best decision at the time.

OP
OP
RiptideAquaculture

RiptideAquaculture

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Till not over it yet, but trying to do things halfway. But the nice power head or cobble together something, I cobble. Sump or canister filter? I'll get the can to save $100 but end up buying the sump anyway, spending more in the end. Most recently, the ro filter. Got a household one from Lowes, worked well. But made water so slowly I didn't want to use it. Also didn't have the di. Also replacement filters are proprietary and expensive. Now I have the rodi set up and the ro from Lowes I need to deal with.
Yeah we believe in over killing the RO and making sure the water is as close to 0 as you can get it.

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
5-1-LSBUTT-16.jpg

are you kidding me?!
its like guess the number of balls in the jar with colors...

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for everyone!

tapping fish tank GIF
That's a tough question because it's all relative. There are hurdles to jump over all the way around this track and it doesn't stop. Maybe the best answer for me is making it a habit to test and putting in the work regardless of feeling like it or not. After a year or so of that..im where I'm at because of it.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back