RIPTIDE AQUACULTURE Giveaways, Promos and Website updates. Get the best deals on R2R first!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy - 2022-02-23T083638.909.gif

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna try to lower my nitrates by removing my brightwell media block. Doing a water change. And feeding a little less frozen food.
I plan on testing again two weeks after I remove the media block.
Hoping Neil Patrick Harris GIF
Does frozen food raise nitrates?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna try to lower my nitrates by removing my brightwell media block. Doing a water change. And feeding a little less frozen food.
Maybe I'm missing something but why would removing your media block help with lowering nitrates?

If the block has mostly nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia into nitrate you still need all ammonia that enters your system converted to nitrate. If it's denitrifying bacteria in the block that converts nitrate into nitrogen gas (even better to have in your case), then you wouldn't want to remove it.

Since your nitrate levels aren't causing an issue then I would just try making on of those changes at a time, and I personally wouldn't pick removing part of your biological filtration.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does frozen food raise nitrates?
All food raises nitrates, it just depends on if your export system can keep up with the input of food and ultimately fish waste.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think detritus gets collected in the block. I have mechanical filtration before the block but I see some detritus build up on the bottom of my sump so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s clogged up.
I've never used any of the media blocks, but if it partially clogs the pores wouldn't that just reduce flow through it and promote the growth of denitrifying bacteria because the inside is more likely to be anaerobic? If so then it's a two sided sword, it has a collection of detritus that creates nitrate but it also grows the bacteria that removes nitrates. I think I'd start a thread to get others opinions before removing it.

Can they just be rinsed in saltwater to clean them or does the detritus get into the pores to where it can't be removed, again I've never used one so I have no clue.

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think detritus gets collected in the block. I have mechanical filtration before the block but I see some detritus build up on the bottom of my sump so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s clogged up.
What target number are you looking for on your nitrates? I've heard differing opinions on this, but unless you're going for ultra low most people shoot for either 25 or under 50. 30 seems like it's not a super high number as long as it's not rising. I know a lot of people shoot for 10.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25-50 seems like a high goal IMO. I usually aim for around 5. If my tank were at 30 I would also be trying to get it lower. Although clearly his tank is doing okay at 30 since his pics of corals are way more colorful than mine (I think mine has more to do with my lighting being too dim than nutrients though).

Utubereefer

10K Club member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used any of the media blocks, but if it partially clogs the pores wouldn't that just reduce flow through it and promote the growth of denitrifying bacteria because the inside is more likely to be anaerobic? If so then it's a two sided sword, it has a collection of detritus that creates nitrate but it also grows the bacteria that removes nitrates. I think I'd start a thread to get others opinions before removing it.

Can they just be rinsed in saltwater to clean them or does the detritus get into the pores to where it can't be removed, again I've never used one so I have no clue.
It may be possible to rinse it. But i think I have enough bio media in the tank to make up for the missing block.
What target number are you looking for on your nitrates? I've heard differing opinions on this, but unless you're going for ultra low most people shoot for either 25 or under 50. 30 seems like it's not a super high number as long as it's not rising. I know a lot of people shoot for 10.
I would like to be around 10 but I don’t want to have to dose anything or change my routine too much to get there.

This is the first time I’ve gotten an accurate reading for my nitrates. I ordered a few more of these tests to try to monitor and dial in my parameters.

Melanie Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like the media blocks? I've been thinking of starting using those

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I’ve gotten an accurate reading for my nitrates. I ordered a few more of these tests to try to monitor and dial in my parameters.
What tests are you using, I know you said from saltwateraquarium.com but I didn't realize they had a testing program. How does their results compare to you testing nitrates with a normal test kit?

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be possible to rinse it. But i think I have enough bio media in the tank to make up for the missing block.

I would like to be around 10 but I don’t want to have to dose anything or change my routine too much to get there.

I keep mine around 12. I don't really do much at all to maintain it, they just like to sit there and are happy :)

Utubereefer

10K Club member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tests are you using, I know you said from saltwateraquarium.com but I didn't realize they had a testing program. How does their results compare to you testing nitrates with a normal test kit?
I’ve never used any nitrate test that I considered accurate. Saltwater aquarium .com has a spot check test that works like an icp test

Melanie Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had room in the return chamber of my sump for it. Thats the cleanest section in my sump. If it gets clogged with detritus I think it starts to become counterproductive
I'll have to try and fit them in my return chamber. Thanks for the heads up

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back