Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. We've got a 125 mixed reef that we have had our favorite fish, our copperband butterfly in, since around June. In August we added a small female bellus angel.

For the last week or two, the copperband has begun to hide more than normal. Today, I noticed it looked pretty beat up, and see the bellus angel constantly going after the copperband.

Doesn't matter where it goes, it just bullies it and bites at it.

Will separating them for a while work? We don't want to lose this copperband at all, but it's gonna be nearly impossible to catch this bellus.

We've got a 20g Reed with 2 clowns and a purple dottyback, and a 20g hospital tank that was used for meds recently.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Nutramar Foods

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try seperating them but it likely won't work. You do need to remove the bellus and not the copperband. Leaving the bellus in the tank only lets it get more established (if that's possible). And sorry to be a debbie downer but you likely are going to have issues adding other fish if the bellus is already this aggressive.

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try seperating them but it likely won't work. You do need to remove the bellus and not the copperband. Leaving the bellus in the tank only lets it get more established (if that's possible). And sorry to be a debbie downer but you likely are going to have issues adding other fish if the bellus is already this aggressive.
and soon, as the CB will feel this for some time to come before healing and returning to normal

access to a fish trap?

BRS
BRS
OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came in today and the copperband was pinned in a rock. I had to get it out as it was beyond stressed. It crashed into another rock and I thought it died.

Got it to the qt and now it's up and swimming, but definitely has a little mouth, tail damage, and a scale or 2 it's side missing.

I'm so glad it wasn't dead. Now if I can just get it to eat in this qt tank while I try to get the bellus out, maybe I can save it. It's definitely become our favorite fish and we definitely don't want to lose it.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back