Reefi uno 2.0 Pro or Reefbreeders photon 50 V2 Pro??

tankreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all,

I have done a lot of research regarding lighting and have decided on either Reefi or Reefbreeders. Ecotech and a bunch of other light brands are a no go with me (various reasons), not looking to compare other light brands here. But I am doing a new tank build IM EXT 170. With dimensions of 59x30x22. I plan on doing a heavy SPS load grow with a few LPS. I have seen a bunch of posts about great PAR readings and success with the Reefi, but haven’t really seen PAR and SPS growth comparisons between the two lights. Since my tank has euro braces around the perimeter, I will probably have to hang the lights from the ceiling but
Open to suggestions about other mounting options that someone else has explored. I’m hoping that someone will give me info on how the two lights compare with SPS growth, PAR comparison, their software, any known issues with the lights, likes/dislikes, any other info that’s helpful in deciding my choice. I know both lights are really good but what makes one stand out more so than the other, I know it’s very subjective and lots of opinions out there but let’s hear it! Wife has green lighted the tank, doubt I will get another chance to buy more
Lights unless they die so gotta get it right ;)

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all,

I have done a lot of research regarding lighting and have decided on either Reefi or Reefbreeders. Ecotech and a bunch of other light brands are a no go with me (various reasons), not looking to compare other light brands here. But I am doing a new tank build IM EXT 170. With dimensions of 59x30x22. I plan on doing a heavy SPS load grow with a few LPS. I have seen a bunch of posts about great PAR readings and success with the Reefi, but haven’t really seen PAR and SPS growth comparisons between the two lights. Since my tank has euro braces around the perimeter, I will probably have to hang the lights from the ceiling but
Open to suggestions about other mounting options that someone else has explored. I’m hoping that someone will give me info on how the two lights compare with SPS growth, PAR comparison, their software, any known issues with the lights, likes/dislikes, any other info that’s helpful in deciding my choice. I know both lights are really good but what makes one stand out more so than the other, I know it’s very subjective and lots of opinions out there but let’s hear it! Wife has green lighted the tank, doubt I will get another chance to buy more
Lights unless they die so gotta get it right ;)
RB 50 is now out of production for the new maridian lights.
If you can get a new one or lightly used one, great. Lots of par.
I put my 8yo 48" (really 43") on my 60" tank and it's to short. I put T5 on top help.
I run @ 70% in some channels(blues/violets), 30ish in white and have 400 par. Light mounted 8" above water, par measured 8" below water.

I do not know about reefi.

EDIT: you could always do 24"x4 on the RB. Just to make sure the end are covered. 30" is pretty wide, going to have to supplement to get that wide with 1 row of light.

OP
OP
tankreefer

tankreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang the meridian lights are expensive, 1300 for the 45” and 1700” for 63. That’s Stratton pro status. Anyone heard how the meridians compare to the old photons? At those prices, the Reefi would make more sense. Any thoughts?

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, go Reefi. The reefbreeders lights are capable, but I have never in my life had more frustration and anger at the app either not saving settings or having to reset the lights repeatedly. Also, the new meridians price point puts you into better territory.
Dang the meridian lights are expensive, 1300 for the 45” and 1700” for 63. That’s Stratton pro status. Anyone heard how the meridians compare to the old photons? At those prices, the Reefi would make more sense. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
tankreefer

tankreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I didn’t realize they put a new light out, I’m shocked at the point. I would need two RB to cover my 30” wide tank. One won’t cut it I believe. How many Reefi’s would I need for appropriate coverage on a 59Lx30Wx22T?

OP
OP
tankreefer

tankreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RB is advertising a new app, maybe they figured and corrected the kinks in their system.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 RB 50's over my ext 170.
I run red 30%, white 50% and the rest 70%.
Lights are 12" off the surface.
Tanks 5 months old 30+ acros, 10 fish.
The app is very simple. Better than the Radion app I run with 3 xr15's on my ext 50.
I run a RB 24 over my RS 170.
I went with 2 50's so I would not need any bars.
The par is an even 320-350 at the top of the rockwork which is 5-7" off the bottom.
Check my build for more info.
Thread 'EXT 170 Build' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ext-170-build.1028084/
20240927_180845.jpg
20240927_180833.jpg

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefi over my 28x28x24 tank. I am using the included 120 degree reflector at about 170w I have 250 par for most of the tank wall to wall at 12" from the surface. The 120 reflector should cover 30x30 with ease. The 90 reflector is 24x24 with a much greater par output at lower wattage. I would think 3 with 120 reflectors would cover it well but you may have to use some wattage to provide par numbers in the 300-400 range. The 90 reflector had me hitting 400ish par on the sand bed with the wattage I am currently using.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not catch that you were the same person that sent a dm.
You could start with one and then another.
I wanted the meridians but did not want to wait.
Never had an issue with the app.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reefi, I was told 4 for a 6 foot tank sps. My tank is 24 wide but your tank is shorter length wise, you could just hang them perpendicular.

90 degree lenses maybe 16-17 high
120 you can get closer, 10ish?

They daisy chain so 4 fixtures is two cords.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same situation and contemplating the exact same lights if I ever switch from halides back to led… the meridians are nice lights and the top sps growers I know are running them.. as for price? My tank is just a tad larger than yours and reefi told me 8 fixtures to cover my tank 36x72 by 24 deep… so the price is the same for me between reefi and breeders.. I’m still in the air but leaning more towards the meridians myself.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checkout Therman. He has been running RB's for a long time. His corals speak for themselves.
Whatever you get start a build so we can follow.
He got Adam at battlecorals to start running them.
Exactly who I was talking about lol

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I didn’t realize they put a new light out, I’m shocked at the point. I would need two RB to cover my 30” wide tank. One won’t cut it I believe. How many Reefi’s would I need for appropriate coverage on a 59Lx30Wx22T?
At least 3. Put on the 120 degree lens that should work fine.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 that I’m presently Frankensteining with Reefi on the left side and ReefBreeders 36 on the right with a light bar attached. I’d love to just have 2 ReeFi lights over it only.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back