Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, idk about PAR and Watts or anything like @saltyfilmfolks does but that bulb seems pretty pricey and not very powerful. This light I just bought is 40 bucs and so far (one night) I’ve gotten more photosynthesis than I had with a PAR38 flood lamp from lowes and this old Chinese black box led I had laying around.

Hanging options.
This light actually comes with the hanging kit too! The length is not adjustable but could be modified, also you can duplicate this same system with a couple dollars in supplies from lowes in the chain section on the hardware aisle. Just pick up some thin cable and some crimps. I’d be interested in seeing a pic of your Sump/fuge area, maybe I can help you come up with a plan.
Some pics of the sump area:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GbyqNx]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Z3vVSs]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/GbyqLt]
[/url][/url][/url]

BRS
OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KJoFan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s it hanging from? Get some pics up towards your fixture
It's not. It's on the gooseneck clamped on the side of the sump. There's a pic of the top of the sump area...just flat plywood basically.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ladies and gents. I’d like to hear your thoughts about the food I’m feeding my fish. I been trying to snap out of the nano mentality of buying frozen mysis cubes, and graduate to making my own cubes with a mixture of fresh foods. I’d like to hear what you feed and the recipe, or just your general knowledge of what people usually use.
However, my real question is- Is what I’m using too small for fish to eat? Let me preface this by saying, I accidentally bought hikari JUMBO frozen mysis, (I thought jumbo was the size of the package, not the size of the shrimp)and of course most of my fish are small and couldn’t fit the jumbo size shrimp in their mouths. So, I proceeded to blend up the shrimp and made it into kind of a shrimp paste/tiny bits. When this stuff hits the water it’s kind of cloudy with little bits of meat, use your imagination. Are the fish able to ingest this? Or am I just polluting my tank with shrimp dust?

I did freeze this new “paste” into a sheet and broke it into chips.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see the fish eating it? All those tiny pieces are going to feed your corals too. I had to throw mine out because it got freezer burnt from the bag being left open... but I made some frozen with cod fillet, scallops, oysters and gulf shrimp. Chopped/blended everything into small pieces that my clowns could eat mixed with a bit of tank water then froze it in a sheet in a ziplock bag. There was a very minimal cloud from the frozen mix but the fish went nuts over it. My clowns ignore mysis for the most part and they tore this stuff up... thanks for reminding me, I'm going to make some more this week.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, the fish are eating the tiny bits. And I know the corals will take in some of the cloud. My point is, the ratio of shrimp dust to shrimp bits is like 10:1 and if I’m specifically trying to feed my fish so they poop, I could potentially starve my fish and overfeed my coral. Polluting the tank.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, maybe we need to go buy some table shrimp and blend them to a little more course grain... you could mix that into the stuff you have now at a suffient shrimp to shrimp dust ratio to fed your fish.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, maybe we need to go buy some table shrimp and blend them to a little more course grain... you could mix that into the stuff you have now at a suffient shrimp to shrimp dust ratio to fed your fish.

Yeah, I could do that. I need a way to blend it up but not too much. I need some ant size workers to cut each shrimp in half. Lol

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I used. Don't load it to the top and just pulse it until you get the size you want. Then scoop every thing otu and repeat.

It's just the cheap one from Wally World...

20171106_150806.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, the fish are eating the tiny bits. And I know the corals will take in some of the cloud. My point is, the ratio of shrimp dust to shrimp bits is like 10:1 and if I’m specifically trying to feed my fish so they poop, I could potentially starve my fish and overfeed my coral. Polluting the tank.

You're on the right track.
I did and kinda still do, use a mush, but I add chunky foods. If you blow it like I did and do, use a chip of mush and a chip of chunky.

World Wide Corals

d2mini

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m probably gonna get banned, thanks all of you for contributing , you’re all excellent whether you got an award or not.
Relax man. The ban stick ain't coming out... yet. ;)
Positivity is a big part of it. Being a positive person, making R2R a positive place to be, making positive contributions to the forum.
You don't have to be doling out expert advice 24/7. A newbie can make positive contributions to other newbies just by sharing their experiences in the hobby.

Move on, stay positive! :)

Back on topic.... food.
I've been using Larry's Reef Frenzy for years. Or Rod's Food. I actually have some of both right now that I'll mix up together.
I'm way too lazy to make my own, and these have a great mix of stuff in them, and they are time tested.
I just break off a big chunk, defrost in tank water and I have a few days worth of food in the fridge.
There's lots of particle sizes too, so something for everybody.
The fish love it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m probably gonna get banned, thanks all of you for contributing , you’re all excellent whether you got an award or not.
I do not want you banned. I want to see this tank become awesome like your cube.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relax man. The ban stick ain't coming out... yet. ;)
Positivity is a big part of it. Being a positive person, making R2R a positive place to be, making positive contributions to the forum.
You don't have to be doling out expert advice 24/7. A newbie can make positive contributions to other newbies just by sharing their experiences in the hobby.

Move on, stay positive! :)

So why doesn’t everyone get an excellence award?
I can’t fight city hall, and when I do I get put in a corner like some sort of child and told what I can and can’t say. I can’t fight the masses bc you all just wanna be “nice”, you see someone got the award and you thank them and you don’t even know them on a R2R level anyways. Don’t tell me you don’t bc I did it for months! I thanked every person who I saw get an award and said they deserved it when I didn’t know any better, I welcomed everyone who was new, and to be honest I did it bc I really wanted to help people and make people feel welcome, but I never got an award or recognition for helping people or creating threads that would help people in the future. So then It became an experiment to see if i spent all my time on here could I make the reef squad or maybe get an excellence award, spent so much time on here that it actually caused family problems. But still, it just made me want to learn more so I always study and I always ask for advice so I can learn from the pros even if I already have an idea of what I’m asking on. I like to double check my own answers with those I hold in high regard.
Yeah I don’t have over 3k replies/comments, but I do have over 1k meaningful posts and comments, all of em about reefing or somehow reef related. Anyway I would hope you don’t achieve the excellence award by commenting a lot about anything.
One of the ways I can discern the difference between comments of people on different skill sets/levels (without going through all of there threads and replies) is the badges they hold. I always assumed the excellence badge was one that had great honor and meant you “have a great deal of knowledge” (quoting the R2R description of excellence award). Side note: had a reefer who had just signed up on R2R a week ago message me today and say he thought the same thing, “excellence award holders were veterans of the hobby.” After today, it made me think of a scenario- a new reefer comes on R2R or (heck even one that’s not new like myself bc we both obviously thought higher of this award) was needing advice on something and they took the advice of one person based on a certain badge bc they figured what myself and that newer hobbyist figured, they knew better, when in fact, they too are very green in the hobby and this information is wrong and it destroys their tank! What happens then?

I’ve lost all respect for this forum and a lot of respect for some of the people running it.

For future use (if this post doesn’t get deleted)

Excellence award= you post a lot, doesn’t even have to be about reefing, go wild, treat R2R like Facebook and just sit here and talk to your “friends” all day about anything. Has no bearing on skill level.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why doesn’t everyone get an excellence award?
I can’t fight city hall, and when I do I get put in a corner like some sort of child and told what I can and can’t say. I can’t fight the masses bc you all just wanna be “nice”, you see someone got the award and you thank them and you don’t even know them on a R2R level anyways. Don’t tell me you don’t bc I did it for months! I thanked every person who I saw get an award and said they deserved it when I didn’t know any better, I welcomed everyone who was new, and to be honest I did it bc I really wanted to help people and make people feel welcome, but I never got an award or recognition for helping people or creating threads that would help people in the future. So then It became an experiment to see if i spent all my time on here could I make the reef squad or maybe get an excellence award, spent so much time on here that it actually caused family problems. But still, it just made me want to learn more so I always study and I always ask for advice so I can learn from the pros even if I already have an idea of what I’m asking on. I like to double check my own answers with those I hold in high regard.
Yeah I don’t have over 3k replies/comments, but I do have over 1k meaningful posts and comments, all of em about reefing or somehow reef related. Anyway I would hope you don’t achieve the excellence award by commenting a lot about anything.
One of the ways I can discern the difference between comments of people on different skill sets/levels (without going through all of there threads and replies) is the badges they hold. I always assumed the excellence badge was one that had great honor and meant you “have a great deal of knowledge” (quoting the R2R description of excellence award). Side note: had a reefer who had just signed up on R2R a week ago message me today and say he thought the same thing, “excellence award holders were veterans of the hobby.” After today, it made me think of a scenario- a new reefer comes on R2R or (heck even one that’s not new like myself bc we both obviously thought higher of this award) was needing advice on something and they took the advice of one person based on a certain badge bc they figured what myself and that newer hobbyist figured, they knew better, when in fact, they too are very green in the hobby and this information is wrong and it destroys their tank! What happens then?

I’ve lost all respect for this forum and a lot of respect for some of the people running it.

For future use (if this post doesn’t get deleted)

Excellence award= you post a lot, doesn’t even have to be about reefing, go wild, treat R2R like Facebook and just sit here and talk to your “friends” all day about anything. Has no bearing on skill level.
Dude I get it but sometimes u have to let some things go as they are not worth the fight.
Look up the serenity prayer I think it will help in this situation.
I enjoy what u bring to this forum and enjoy finding out what’s going on with ur tank.
Take a deep breath and relax and let it go u keep doing what ur doing u will get that award and things will always work out the way they are supposed to in the end.

My food I get lrs reef, fish egg, and herbivores frenzy mix it with 2ml of rodi water put it in a plastic ice cube try and call it a day sometimes I’ll add some pe mysis and black worms but only if I remember

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I get it but sometimes u have to let some things go as they are not worth the fight.
Look up the serenity prayer I think it will help in this situation.
I enjoy what u bring to this forum and enjoy finding out what’s going on with ur tank.
Take a deep breath and relax and let it go u keep doing what ur doing u will get that award and things will always work out the way they are supposed to in the end.

My food I get lrs reef, fish egg, and herbivores frenzy mix it with 2ml of rodi water put it in a plastic ice cube try and call it a day sometimes I’ll add some pe mysis and black worms but only if I remember

I’m a passionate person and sometimes that’s my downfall, and if I feel passionately about something then I definitely push it to the limit. Thanks for your words, R2R is now more of a log of my progress and notes that I’ve taken from people whom I hold in high regard.

I ordered some mini ice cube trays, thanks for the recipe.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why you are making this personal. I respect your disagreement with the decision to give me the award. I didn't ask for it. I was just as shocked as you were. Taking a poke at me doesn't change the machine. I have always respected your advice and have aspired to have a tank like your former cube. Can we just move on and learn something and enjoy our differences?

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tenecor Aquariums
Back