Reefbreeders Photon 50 Mounting Weight

awa22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently purchased a ReefBreeders Photon 50 for my Waterbox 125 frag. I also purchased the BOT mounts from ReefBreeders. The light itself weighs ~13 lbs and I’m nervous that will be too much stress on my back glass. The glass is 1/2” thick. Does anyone have a similar set up with such a heavy light mounted on the back? Or should I explore other options?
Thanks!

redseaenroute

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same light, same mount, same glass thickness. Installed 2 weeks ago. My vote: You're good to go. I have an IM 100 INT. I originally ordered the Photon 48" V2 Pro, however when I installed it only half of the violet lights worked. I hit up Aquacave on a Friday afternoon. 2 hours later Logan from Reefbreeders emailed me. 48 was discontinued so I opted to go with the 50" as a replacement (actually went with the legacy V2+ because I don't like apps and prefer local control). I had the replacement the following Tuesday. Crazy awesome customer service.

Not that any of that additional information addresses your original question... But I now have my 50" V2+ mounted with the BOT mounts and I couldn't be happier! Mount up and enjoy!!

redseaenroute

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add... I was a little nervous as well, but once you get everything snugged up it feels solid. I have zero concerns at this point.

redseaenroute

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the barrage of replies... I don't post often... One last call out: I used the acrylic spacers that came with the light just to provide some additional surface area under the acrylic mounting screws that go on the inside of the glass. With those in there I felt even better! But either way, I think you're good to go

OP
OP
A

awa22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have the light mounted but there’s definitely a noticeable tilt. I think it’s more the arms coming out as they are not a tight squeeze into the mounts on the back. Any cause for concern?
IMG_0883.jpeg

NoLarvatusplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently purchased a ReefBreeders Photon 50 for my Waterbox 125 frag. I also purchased the BOT mounts from ReefBreeders. The light itself weighs ~13 lbs and I’m nervous that will be too much stress on my back glass. The glass is 1/2” thick. Does anyone have a similar set up with such a heavy light mounted on the back? Or should I explore other options?
Thanks!
Call Waterbox and ask them.Who would know better about tank stress than they?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back