Reef Rock and salt questions

keg13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right or wrong place to post this. But i need some thoughts help, and opinions

Roughly 5 years ago i had a tank up and going. Someone with herbicide on their hands decided to put their hands in the tank which ended up killing everything. I had the intentions to set it back up once life slowed down but as life goes it didnt happen. I got to thinking today and the rock has been sitting in the tank water in sealed buckets for 5 years. What would the steps be to clean up the rock and get it back into a tank.

I also the have the reef salt from 5 years ago. What are the chances thats still good?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

In my opinion, your salt mix should be just fine.

Your rock, I have a concern that the herbicide may still be on the rocks. For that reason I'd probably scrap those rocks and get new rocks. In fact, going with live rock over dead dry rocks is a much easier and faster way to start a tank.

However, the way I'd typically reply to questions about using old rock is that If the rocks had been previously used, they will have dead organic material that you want to clean off before you reuse the rock, or all that dead stuff just rots in your new tank, and can give you problems.

To clean the rock, I'd suggest you do a search for "bleach curing" rock. This method uses household bleach to oxidize any organics in and on your rocks. Once completed, your rock will look pristine white again.

The bleach *might* also burn off whatever herbicide you may or may not have, but then again it might not, I don't know, I am not a chemist.

I hope that helps, and good luck!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back