Please Help! Rookie salt mixing questions

PJs_Bucket_List_Reef_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from freshwater tanks, the entire aspect of mixing the water for my (45 gallon) saltwater aquarium is foreign and confusing for me. Conflicting information or unclear/unspecific answers only add to my confusion and frustration. I desperately need some help! This is regarding filling of the tank for the first time. Just my luck, in all of my research into the hobby, it somehow completely escaped me that I would need a large container(s) to store and mix the water. Dealing with that now. Bigger questions: (For reference, I have Aquaforest Reef Salt mix)
1. I've read to mix it in the tank, but only if it's empty (no rock or sand), and it's fine to mix in tank, with rock and sand. I've read don't mix it in the tank, period. What's the correct answer to that?
2. AF directions call for heated water (75 degrees). If I have to mix it in a container, with a pump or wave maker, how do I add the heater? Is it safe to stick it to the inside of the barrel, or trash can? I worry about it melting or warping the plastic.
3. This one might sound stupid. AF directions say to mix a specific amount of salt mix to 10 gallons of water. I figure with the rock, sand and equipment in the tank, I'll need about 40, maybe a couple more gallons. Should I do this 10 gallons at a time, or mix it all at once, adjusting the salt mix measurement accordingly?
4. Nearly everything I've read advised to aerate, or "age" the mixed saltwater for a while, from a few hours up to 48 hours. But it's nowhere on the AF packaging, not even a suggestion. It only says when the water is clear and salt mix is fully dissolved it's ready to use. So do I age it anyway, and if so, for how long?
I think that's all of my questions for this. And it might sound silly, but I'm really stressing about this. Every reefer loves their tank, and in that, I'm no different. But this tank is more than a hobby to me. It's a big deal, a lifelong goal and a bucket list item. I know I'll have issues, setbacks, and challenges along the way, but I want to get it as right as I can. It's like building a house, and this is the foundation, so it HAS to be done right to give it the best chance for success. Thanks for reading, and for any sound advice you can give!

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- it will be easier to mix in a container, there could be residue from mixing and you don't want that in your tank.
2- heater will be ok as long as its submerged, I would keep it out of direct contact with the container. mixing with pump or powerhead makes it a lot easier
3- this is why its better to premix in a container. This will make it easier to adjust the salinity up or down. Salinity must be checked.
4- most salt takes between 2 to 24 hours to mix, some even more. no need to aerate it, just keep it mixing with a pump or powerhead. mix as directions state, add heat when it states, etc. Then test and adjust salinity as needed with more salt or freshwater.

Upvote 0

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice

Buy a tropic marin high precision hydrometer. They are the best and salinity is very important.

Get a cheap utility pump or return pump to mix the water and then stick a hose on it to pump it into your aquarium

A cheap petco preset $10 heater will suffice when mixing. It doesn't get hot enough in water to burn anything.

A 20 gal brute with wheels should be perfect for your needs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PJs_Bucket_List_Reef_75

PJs_Bucket_List_Reef_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- it will be easier to mix in a container, there could be residue from mixing and you don't want that in your tank.
2- heater will be ok as long as its submerged, I would keep it out of direct contact with the container. mixing with pump or powerhead makes it a lot easier
3- this is why its better to premix in a container. This will make it easier to adjust the salinity up or down. Salinity must be checked.
4- most salt takes between 2 to 24 hours to mix, some even more. no need to aerate it, just keep it mixing with a pump or powerhead. mix as directions state, add heat when it states, etc. Then test and adjust salinity as needed with more salt or freshwater.
Follow up question about the heater: how do I get it down into the bottom of the container? Won't it float? Or do they sink like a rock? I can only blame not knowing this on my chemo-brain. Mind just draws a total blank on the simplest things sometimes. Thank you all for the clear and concise answers. They help more than you know.

Upvote 0

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Follow up question about the heater: how do I get it down into the bottom of the container? Won't it float? Or do they sink like a rock? I can only blame not knowing this on my chemo-brain. Mind just draws a total blank on the simplest things sometimes. Thank you all for the clear and concise answers. They help more than you know.
the heater should always have suction cups to suction to the container.

For mixing, i would say let your salt mix with a powerful powerhead for a good 6 hours. Some people will wait a whole day but I dont know if that is necessary. Some will wait an hour. There should never under any circumstances be any visible salt sediment at the bottom that you can see if you go the shorter route.

Upvote 0

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Coming from freshwater tanks, the entire aspect of mixing the water for my (45 gallon) saltwater aquarium is foreign and confusing for me. Conflicting information or unclear/unspecific answers only add to my confusion and frustration. I desperately need some help! This is regarding filling of the tank for the first time. Just my luck, in all of my research into the hobby, it somehow completely escaped me that I would need a large container(s) to store and mix the water. Dealing with that now. Bigger questions: (For reference, I have Aquaforest Reef Salt mix)
1. I've read to mix it in the tank, but only if it's empty (no rock or sand), and it's fine to mix in tank, with rock and sand. I've read don't mix it in the tank, period. What's the correct answer to that?
2. AF directions call for heated water (75 degrees). If I have to mix it in a container, with a pump or wave maker, how do I add the heater? Is it safe to stick it to the inside of the barrel, or trash can? I worry about it melting or warping the plastic.
3. This one might sound stupid. AF directions say to mix a specific amount of salt mix to 10 gallons of water. I figure with the rock, sand and equipment in the tank, I'll need about 40, maybe a couple more gallons. Should I do this 10 gallons at a time, or mix it all at once, adjusting the salt mix measurement accordingly?
4. Nearly everything I've read advised to aerate, or "age" the mixed saltwater for a while, from a few hours up to 48 hours. But it's nowhere on the AF packaging, not even a suggestion. It only says when the water is clear and salt mix is fully dissolved it's ready to use. So do I age it anyway, and if so, for how long?
I think that's all of my questions for this. And it might sound silly, but I'm really stressing about this. Every reefer loves their tank, and in that, I'm no different. But this tank is more than a hobby to me. It's a big deal, a lifelong goal and a bucket list item. I know I'll have issues, setbacks, and challenges along the way, but I want to get it as right as I can. It's like building a house, and this is the foundation, so it HAS to be done right to give it the best chance for success. Thanks for reading, and for any sound advice you can give!
Don’t overthink it. I’d advise on getting a big brute trash can mix as much as you can in there. Throw a pump and a heater in there. Don’t worry about the heater warping the can. Add the salt as recommended by the directions. I usually add a little less than instructed so I don’t overshoot the salinity. Let the salt mix, measure salinity with refractometer, add more as needed to reach your specific gravity.

When I filled my 210g up, I filled it in batches. Since my mixing jug only holds 60g. So it took almost 1.5 days.

I’ve also set up a previous tank where I filled it up with RODI, rock and sand in place, then mixed the salt in. Would only recommend if you’re using dry rock that is not seeded.

I’ve never heard of aging salt water. I mix it and as soon as it’s clear I’ll fill up or do my water change.

Good luck and happy reefing!

Upvote 0

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are convenient water containers

They are more than 5 gallons

Handle. And stackable. I put a silicone tube on one, and it pours fast without gulping. That little dimple in the lid cuts out, and is threaded.

Sticky thermometer on the side for double check of temp before adding to tank

Using one for an ATO reservoir right now, as well. Cut out the dimple, run the pump cable and tubing through the hole

There is one I found for $13, but it doesn't stack. It's on Amazon as well

1000003524.jpg

CHEMSTREAM | 5 Gallon Tighthead Container | Carboy | Jerrican | Hedpack with 70MM Cap | Home Brewing Container | 1 Pack (Clear/Natural) https://a.co/d/eB4bG3u

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's no livestock in the tank, then you can throw all the ingredients in the tank and turn it on. Or mix salt water in a glass and add it a glass at a time to the tank. If there's no life it doesn't matter.

Most of what you wrote refers to when there is life in the tank, and a lot of that is old fashioned..... there's no need to age or aerate the water.

The most important is that you need a salinity testing tool, a refractometer or a digital tester, avoid those swing arm testers.

Upvote 0

buzzfin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great little inexpensive pumps for transferring water from your mixing container to your tank:

Can also be used to circulate the water inside your container after adding salt.

Also make sure you use RODI water, not tap water!

Upvote 0

Frenchy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend using a refractometer for precision rather than a hydrometer. The Milwaukee digital refractometer is very easy to calibrate with distilled water and its measurements are temperature adjusted. It costs around $140 regularly, but is frequently on sale. A regular refractometer is less than $35 but has to be calibrated. Go for the brute can but I suggest getting the roller dolly with it. That way you can roll a filled can right up to your tank.

For future water changes, Tropic Marin salts can be used immediately after mixing according to their instructions. Use a heater to match the tank temp.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Most any poly containers work whether portable for shaking until dissolved, trash-can type with a mixing pump and salt mixing station which I utilize.

1723594956717.png

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back