Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, yesterday I placed a coral in my tank using nyos reef putty. the tank went cloudy and the skimmer stopped skimming. the two fish I have stopped swimming. My two snails tried to escape the tank! I couldn’t catch the fish without removing rocks which I thought would create more problems. All my corals were ok so I did a 50% water change. Today the fish are a bit more mobile one snail didn’t make it unfortunately and the skimmers still not skimming despite trying to dial it up. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
J

johnwidley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reply ayden, yes I read that the skimmer goes crazy. mines done the complete opposite! I have tried various settings on the controller also raising and lowering the skimmer to no avail. it’s a tunze with a dc controller. I’ve never had a problem with it before. I did notice a slight sticky residue on the inside of the neck riser of the skimmer cup which took some effort to remove maybe I need to pull it out and clean the whole unit?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

johnwidley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reply ayden, yes I read that the skimmer goes crazy. mines done the complete opposite! I have tried various settings on the controller also raising and lowering the skimmer to no avail. it’s a tunze with a dc controller. I’ve never had a problem with it before. I did notice a slight sticky residue on the inside of the neck riser of the skimmer cup which took some effort to remove maybe I need to pull it out and clean the whole unit?
Ok, update I did some research. apparently the epoxy contains talc? Which it releases as soon as it hits water therefore causing cloudiness. One tip is I’ve seen is to first apply cyano to the coral then add the epoxy then cover the epoxy with more cyano to stop the talc release.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

johnwidley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epoxy definitely messes with skimmers.

That being said - the nyos stuff seems like an inferior product to the super cheap IO brand epoxy that's available everywhere. It won't cloud your tank.
Agreed! definitely not reef safe according to my fish and snails! Nyos for the price it costs should include more comprehensive instructions and the risks involved! I’ve seen plenty of threads where people say they’ve used epoxy without any problems. good for them but I did! My lfs told me not to use epoxy it’s too risky. just use cyano which I have done now without issues simples!

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Corals.com
Back