Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear me out. I've had my aquarium going for about a year. It's a 100 gallon system with a moderate number of fish, snails, crabs, and coral. I bought the red sea skimmer, and have been using it during that time. In the course of a year, I've NEVER felt like the skimmer was "dialed in". Despite numerous attempts to reign it in, it would invariably skim way too much (fill the container in an hour or less) or skim way too little (fill the container never). I can't get it do anything in between.

Do I really need to use this thing? It doesn't seem to ever do anything helpful.
I have a skimmerless system and it's my only reef tank and it's doing perfectly fine. just change filtration more often and you're good!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It not only showed there's not much difference between skimmers but ti showed they don't pull out that much. It also identified two different metrics the skimmer industry and aquarists could use but niether has been adopted so aquarists have to go on just hearsay that any design is better than another.

The skimmers typically removed greater than 80% of the BSA. In contrast, perhaps one of the more interesting observations to emerge from these studies is the fact that all four skimmers tested removed only 20 – 30% of the total organics present in authentic reef tank water.

I wouldn't consider an average of 30% or better of total organic carbon removal not working well… Also the study did not consider particulate removal, just dissolved organics.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider an average of 30% or better of total organic carbon removal not working well… Also the study did not consider particulate removal, just dissolved organics.
I run a skimmer and adjust it as needed to maintain acceptable DOC levels. I do agree 30% of dissolved organic carbon is a substantial quantity and justifies the use of a skimmer.

While we focus on the 30% number, isn't it also true that a skimmer removes 100% of the organics that are susceptible to its function. As per the study, could the removal of 100% of proteins similar to BSA as a large part of those removed DOCs be a negative factor?

AS

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too hated my Skimmers, and I’ve lost count of the different ones I’ve had. First was Lee’s with the Wood Air stones, which it ate through $$$$. Then I bought a LifeReef, from someone getting out of the Hobby. Other than the Coralife that’s on my Biocube, I’ll never buy any other skimmer. BTW, I hate the Coralife, the Cup is poorly designed, and is too small.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too hated my Skimmers, and I’ve lost count of the different ones I’ve had. First was Lee’s with the Wood Air stones, which it ate through $$$$. Then I bought a LifeReef, from someone getting out of the Hobby. Other than the Coralife that’s on my Biocube, I’ll never buy any other skimmer. BTW, I hate the Coralife, the Cup is poorly designed, and is too small.
I built a 6' tall needle wheel skimmer - then converted it to ceramic airstone. I got tired of fiddling with it and tried different ATS systems. Got tired of cleaning them. I just recently decided to get back into SPS and purchased a Reef Octopus Regal. I couldn't be happier. It is stable and just works.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The skimmers typically removed greater than 80% of the BSA. In contrast, perhaps one of the more interesting observations to emerge from these studies is the fact that all four skimmers tested removed only 20 – 30% of the total organics present in authentic reef tank water.

How are you determining "30% or better"? The quote from Feldman, et al, certainly doesn't support that conclusion.

Why do you believe 20 - 30% is good?

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you determining "30% or better"? The quote from Feldman, et al, certainly doesn't support that conclusion.
I think I pretty much covered it in my post... 80% of their marker protein was removed on average and ~30% of total organics that they measured for in an what they consider to be average reef water....

It is better than 10% or 5%
We can easily do the math and compare that to water changes if you want.
Do we want 100% or 80% or 50%?

It would appear to me that there are decades of successful captive reefs that are supported by protein skimmers as the primary means of nutrient export. So 20%-30% must be effective enough...

Lastly - If I remove literal cupfuls of thick, almost solid goo from my skimmer cup once a week, and a few quarts of nasty green smelly water... then without the skimmer, where is it going?

AS

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started (2 years ago) I wasn’t really sure I wanted a skimmer but after I started using it and seeing all the crap it pulls out of the water, I really feel the need to use it.

If I was a fish trapped into a glass box, I wouldn’t want to live in filth. I can’t do many water changes because of dinos. But even if I did, I don’t believe it would be as efficient as a skimmer for this purpose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm a little confused about why one would think the overall percentage is what matters to decide benefit, as opposed to what is removed and what isn't, and the extent of any individual organic.

IMO, this is a consequence of thinking all organics should be treated as a lump sum, as opposed to a mix of beneficial, benign, slightly toxic and highly toxic compounds.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused about why one would think the overall percentage is what matters to decide benefit, as opposed to what is removed and what isn't, and the extent of any individual organic.

IMO, this is a consequence of thinking all organics should be treated as a lump sum, as opposed to a mix of beneficial, benign, slightly toxic and highly toxic compounds.
What I somewhat somewhat hamfistedly tried to articulate. Well said.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After over 40 years in the HVAC Trade, I’m convinced Humans are the Dirtiest Creatures on Earth. We Respirate, Molds, Yeast, Algae’s and Grease. Add our tightly closed up houses, with the Off-gassing of Building Materials, and chemicals we use. I want a way of Removing this stuff. Water Changes alone, don’t cut it for me.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But did the study show that the skimmers removed the bad organic while leaving the good?

Nutramar Foods

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It removes food for my corals and filter feeders so I don't have one. Oxygen isn't an issue in my tank either (as far as I can tell).
Same here -- HOB and powerhead only.
I've read that might not be sufficient oxygenation but none of my fish ever seem to be breathing heavy so??? (((That's all I have to go on right now)))

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back