Red Sea 425 G2+ upgrade

rebeccajst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I recently upgraded my tank in May and wanted to share my progress with everyone. I started with a JBJ 45 that I built back in March 2021. Now, in 2024, I've outgrown that tank—especially with my bristle tooth tang needing more space as it matured. I purchased him very small, knowing I would eventually upgrade to a larger tank, and now I've followed through with that plan.

Our first step was to have a structural engineer evaluate our space to determine the weight capacity. Due to the layout of our home, with limited wall space because of numerous windows, our options were few. After receiving the report, we concluded that we needed to keep the tank close to the original spot, as the floor couldn't support both the new and old tanks simultaneously. To be safe, we decided on the Red Sea 425 G2+, which essentially doubles the size of the JBJ 45.

We ordered the tank from Biggs Lagoon in Firestone, Colorado, in May (happy Mother's Day to me!). To save time and potential headaches, we opted to have the team there handle the heavy lifting, assembly, installation, and transfer. It was an expensive choice, but worth it for the peace of mind, knowing this is likely my forever tank since I can't go any bigger.

The installation was completed on June 7th and took the team a full day. I'm currently letting the tank cycle and allowing the corals, fish, and clean-up crew (CUC) to adjust to their new environment before adding any new livestock.

The biggest stressor has been worrying about my Biota mandarin pair, which I've had since September 2021. Though they eat frozen food, they prefer grazing on copepods all day. The JBJ 45 had a very healthy population of pods and other critters in the sand bed, but with the new tank, I opted for new sand. I've been seeding the tank with copepods from AlgaeBarn and will continue until I see more pods in the sand bed at night with my red light.

Livestock Moved Over:​

• Bristle Tooth Tang – Jalapeño
  • Clown Pair – Splish and Splash
  • Mandarin Pair – Nǐ hǎo & Zàijiàn
  • Pistol Shrimp – (nameless and rarely seen)
  • Pink Sea Urchin – Thorn
  • Turbo Snail – Other Garry
  • 3 peppermint shrimp, 2 small hermit crabs, and a variety of nassarius and other snails.

Corals Moved Over:​

• Octospawn
  • Frogspawn
  • Candy Cane
  • Multiple types of Zoas
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Long-suffering Blastomussa
  • Multiple encrusting Montipora
  • Branching Montipora
  • Pulsing Xenia
  • Purple Stylo
  • Sun coral
  • Multiple Mushrooms
  • 3 Rock Flower Anemones
  • 1 clam

Original Equipment Moved Over:​

• Lighting: 2 Kessil A360X with controller
  • Flow: 2 IceCap 2K Gyre Flow pumps with Controller
  • Heat: 400 Watt Helio PTC Smart Heater
  • Dosing: Simplicity 4-Head Dosing Pump

New Equipment:​

• ReefMat 1200 Fleece Roller
  • Tunze 10000L LED Fixture
I intend to set up a refugium in the sump this week using my Tunze light, some Chaeto, and biomedia. Currently, I have no plans to set up a protein skimmer.

Also New:
  • I used cycled wet rock from my LFS (FishCrew)
  • Carib Sea Live Sand

Future Stocking Plans:​

• Yellow Watchman Goby: Hoping it bonds with my pistol shrimp.
  • Multibar Angelfish: My second favorite fish after my mandarins, so I'm willing to let it nip at my corals.
  • Maybe in 6 months to a year:
    • Fairy Wrasse or Sexy Shrimp (I don't think I can have both).
    • Lemon Peel Angel, depending on how things go with the Multibar Angelfish.
I also need to add more lighting, as the 2 Kessils might not be enough if I want to add SPS corals. IMG_1177.jpg IMG_1215.jpg IMG_1217.jpg IMG_1228.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0815.MOV
    12.1 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
rebeccajst

rebeccajst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Month Update:
My parameters are stable and mostly stayed that way with a minor spike in Ammonia and Nitrite the first week. My Phosphates are running a bit high for my liking according to a test at my LSF so I'll be getting a Hanna checker for this parameters so I can keep an eye on it. There was about a week where I think I was having some kind of ugly stage going on as my tank glass was just covered in cocepods (I had been seeding the tank with them to keep my Mandarins from being stressed). The pods have now either been eaten or resumed a more comfortable life in the rockwork and sand.

I've added a refugium to the sump to help with maintaining a pod population I am using the Tunza Waterproof 10000K LED Fixture 8821.00, some Cheeto and two Pod Towers/BioBunker/Refuge Rocks that I picked up at Algaebarn. I still need to add some rock to the sump I think and I'm not really sure if I'm happy with the set up.

Thanks to Tidal Gardens sale I've also added a pretty large amount of coral, which has shortened my timeline for adding additional light to the tanks since there is a lot of shadowed areas with just the two Kessels. My spouse is getting me a Radion XR30 G6 Pro for my birthday that I'll mount in the middle.

As to livestock, I've added a ORA Watchman Goby and a Biota Multibar Angelfish. I had them both in acclimation boxes but have released the goby as he seemed stressed and wanted more places to hide. The baby Multibar is still living in the acclimation box as she seems happy enough. I fed them both the pellets recommended by Biota, frozen food, and freshly hatched brine shrimp. The Multibar continues to only really be interested in the brine so I'll keep her in the box until I feel like she is up to competing with the other fish in the tank. Most of my existing livestock from the old tank is healthy and happy and my corals all seem to have resumed to normal levels of polyp extension coloration. My sun coral is struggling and I have moved it to an area where hopefully it gets more food, my clam is not wanting to open very much and I lost my conch snail the first week.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back