Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a question about my Red Planet. I bought from TSA on the 15th of July. I know it is still settling in, but it is turning to a Super bright green color and not staying the red that it was. Not really a bad thing I don't think, but I wanted red, lol. It still has great polyp extension so I know it is healthy.

My question is why? I know my nitrates are a bit high, I am trying to get those reduced as we speak, but is that the reason why?

stats (Everything has been stable for at least the past 3 months, Probably longer to be honest. probably more like 5-6 months)

Nitrates- 25
phosphates- .15
Alk- 8
Cal- 425
Mag 1400
Par 200-250

Lighting
6-Gen 5 radions

Flow
2 MP60s
2 MP40s
2 Neptune Wavs

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher intensity = more red, lower intensity = more green.
Honestly, I was hoping that was gunna be the answer! The gen5s are at 65% and I have been itching for a reason to turn them up more!!!

Is there an ideal par level to keep the red or is it just a tank dependent thing?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know your volume but that is some flow. Probably good there.

While things can adjust, gonna guess things are different for that piece now. Single digit NO3 is common for sellers. Phosphates around < .1 also common. PAR 300-350 also common. Check this stuff before you buy. Stuff can adjust but stress should be minimized.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display is a 375, and 700 total gallons with the sump/fuge/frag tank.

I have been trying to get the numbers down but it has been a very slow process. Not trying to do anything real quick, and everything looks amazing (growth/polyp extension) so the ol adage if its not broke don't fix it applies to me. However though, some fine tuning never hurts!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I was hoping that was gunna be the answer! The gen5s are at 65% and I have been itching for a reason to turn them up more!!!

Is there an ideal par level to keep the red or is it just a tank dependent thing?

While lighting intensity is the main driver for green or red coloration in this case, tank conditions also play a role in pigment expression.

ScottB has it right with around 300 -350 (or more with T5s or MH) for predominately red. Some people (myself included) like the green base and red branches so 250 - 280 LED might be a go to for that look.

Also, there is the original 'ORA Red Planet' and then there are a number of similar Acro variants. Most likely not all will react in exactly the same way to the same light intensity, so a bit of experimentation may be in order.

BRS
OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While lighting intensity is the main driver for green or red coloration in this case, tank conditions also play a role in pigment expression.

ScottB has it right with around 300 -350 (or more with T5s or MH) for predominately red. Some people (myself included) like the green base and red branches so 250 - 280 LED might be a go to for that look.

Also, there is the original 'ORA Red Planet' and then there are a number of similar Acro variants. Most likely not all will react in exactly the same way to the same light intensity, so a bit of experimentation may be in order.
Yeah, I am going to raise the light intensity very slowly, Usually I will do 2-3 % weekly, however the last increase was a 5% adjustment.

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back