+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So for context I am just getting back into salt and am going back and forth before I order things on what I really want to spend / need. As I am sure everyone knows things can definitely creep up very quickly and cause the price to drastically increase, that being said my tank size I am going for is going to be a 120 gal, somewhere in the ballpark of a 5x2x2 (think this size is actually about 130g) or a 4x2x2. From all my research I am pretty certain that I do want to have an Apex and I think even for the cost the benefits appear to me to outweigh the high up front cost, with that being said below is a list of things I am considering and I would love to hear some varying opinions from others:

• Mp40's (2x) - I used to have these on my old tank and I remember really liking them, they are sleek and seemed to do well
    • will 2 of these be enough flow? I used 2 in the past but can't really remember if my tank was a 90g or a 120, I know in the past they were plenty
  • Apex - I am certain that I am going to order one of these the question is which
    • Pro - from what I read some of the monitors on this really don't have a huge impact so does that make the base model good enough?
    • DOS - how important is this really? I like the idea of some automation and monitoring especially as a new tank to try to ensure some success (I also work in DevOps so automation is kinda life). Is this something I should wait on and dose by hand at the start to kind of get a feel for everything?
    • Controller Board - organization and clean look are important to me so no matter what I am certain I will be going with one of these, kind of one of the same reasons I really like the mp40's
  • RODI system - I have my old 5 stage so this I will already have in place and really don't have to worry about outside of making sure the filters are good
  • Lighting - this is kind of where I have gotten lost, the amount of information and also the amount of videos out there is quite overwhelming, I know that I will rend a par meter and do that part of things to try to ensure success but I would love to hear opinions from others? I have looked at the Blades but when I got some information on the amount I would need for my tank I was surprised at how fast the cost adds up (they suggested 4-6) so landing at 5 would be 3 Grow 2 Glow and on a 48" version you can do the math there. Are there better options? One thing I must note is that above where the tank is going there will be a vent for the houses HVAC so no matter what I get it can't be a hanging fixture at all as I can't drill / mount into that area.
  • Sump - I know that I want one, but beyond that I am unsure of much other than I like a longer form factor as I think it will be easier to work in, when I look at trigger systems they seem to have quite a few that I think look functional (something like a sapphire sump CR44 or the like)
These are my main areas of concern at the moment, I know I will need other pieces and will cross the bridge as I go but interested to hear others input on the above. I do believe I will be using dry rock to start but could also be convinced otherwise pretty easily. I am open to hearing new information and thank everyone in advance that weighs in !

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The old adage of $100 per gallon should give you a rough estimate. Understand though that that figure can be less if you look for deals on used gear, or conversely, easily double (or triple) if you go top of the line with everything.

Pro tip: expensive does not always equal "best", and inexpensive does not always equal "cheap". Happy reefing!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will be very expensive to start up a tank of that size, especially because it looks like you are going with some really nice equipment. I would suggest going to bulkreefsupply and putting things into the cart to get a general idea before shopping around.
I dont think the apex system is cost effective and will make you spend less over time, but can help to reduce time spent on maintenance/testing (but I would also say that time is money so factor that it)
Waterbox and innovative marine have some well priced and really nice looking tanks at the 100 gallon size (4' length x 2' width)

Top Shelf Aquatics

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone's priorities are different, but real ocean rock is far and away the most important aspect of starting a new tank to me. An Apex would come in like 37th place.

Edit to add: I agree with the $100 a gallon estimate if you are buying new. Obviously it's not perfect, but it's a good starting point. Little things add up fast.

OP
OP
vittpsu21

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone's priorities are different, but real ocean rock is far and away the most important aspect of starting a new tank to me. An Apex would come in like 37th place.
When I did this years ago I did use real ocean rock, from what I was watching lately though it seems there is a debate back and forth on which is better for new tanks? Perhaps I am misinformed on all this though, I definitely had planned on real sand for sure

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did this years ago I did use real ocean rock, from what I was watching lately though it seems there is a debate back and forth on which is better for new tanks? Perhaps I am misinformed on all this though, I definitely had planned on real sand for sure

You're right, there is a debate. I don't think it's a logical one, but it exists.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a debate for sure. There's also a debate whether we landed on the moon and whether the earth is flat. We did, it's not.

Ocean live rock is still absolutely the best way to start a tank for long-term success.

twentyleagues

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unsure on all the specifics you are asking but imo 2 mp40s plus return should be good. I had 2 on my 6' 125g years ago. Also 4-6 blades seems overkill I think more like 3 at the most. I don't see a use for the glow they have a ton of deep blue in the grows. These are crazy bright. I just got a 21" grow for a temporary 20x20x18 tank it's set at 20% intensity and a 14k look and that's enough. Currently I've only got a small frag of ppe zoas and 5 rock flower nems. Inhabitants have only been in the tank a short time and it's my first time using this light. Also this is my first salt tank in over twelve years. I don't plan on having this tank up more then 6-8 months but the light is going on the tank I'm slowing setting up. This tank was basically for the one fish that got me to return. He/she was at the lfs for over 2 months. I told myself if I could get a smallish tank set up and ready and it was still there I'd buy it.

With that being said if you plan on sps dominated you may need some more flow from back to front and more light( I doubt that though).

Sump is always a good choice for filtration. I'm turning an old acrylic 120 long into my sump for my tank/tanks I'm setting up. Not only to save money but I don't want to waste a perfectly good tank that is all scratched up. I don't care what it looks like as long as it works and holds water (which it does).
Currently this "nano" I've set up is using a hob filter. I know it's not the best situation but it works great and I had it sitting around.

I didn't see mention of a skimmer.

As for the apex....there's a lot to like about it and then there is the price tag. Is it necessary?, not at all. I get how helpful it can be and how much back up it can provide. Do you need it on start up? No. Hand dose, do your tests, do your water changes then maybe get one. As stated by multiple people this size tank is gonna hurt the bank account. Heck this little set up cost a ton and I had the tank, stand, filter. I needed a heater with controller, ato, rodi, light, fish, corals, rock, sand, salt. I'm over $800. Granted it's all going in the bigger tank well at least I keep telling myself that.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
vittpsu21

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a debate for sure. There's also a debate whether we landed on the moon and whether the earth is flat. We did, it's not.

Ocean live rock is still absolutely the best way to start a tank for long-term success.
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:haha ok yes,I I think I will go with real reef rock after both of your suggestions

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should sum up what you are about to get into..
Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
vittpsu21

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unsure on all the specifics you are asking but imo 2 mp40s plus return should be good. I had 2 on my 6' 125g years ago. Also 4-6 blades seems overkill I think more like 3 at the most. I don't see a use for the glow they have a ton of deep blue in the grows. These are crazy bright. I just got a 21" grow for a temporary 20x20x18 tank it's set at 20% intensity and a 14k look and that's enough. Currently I've only got a small frag of ppe zoas and 5 rock flower nems. Inhabitants have only been in the tank a short time and it's my first time using this light. Also this is my first salt tank in over twelve years. I don't plan on having this tank up more then 6-8 months but the light is going on the tank I'm slowing setting up. This tank was basically for the one fish that got me to return. He/she was at the lfs for over 2 months. I told myself if I could get a smallish tank set up and ready and it was still there I'd buy it.

With that being said if you plan on sps dominated you may need some more flow from back to front and more light( I doubt that though).

Sump is always a good choice for filtration. I'm turning an old acrylic 120 long into my sump for my tank/tanks I'm setting up. Not only to save money but I don't want to waste a perfectly good tank that is all scratched up. I don't care what it looks like as long as it works and holds water (which it does).
Currently this "nano" I've set up is using a hob filter. I know it's not the best situation but it works great and I had it sitting around.

I didn't see mention of a skimmer.

As for the apex....there's a lot to like about it and then there is the price tag. Is it necessary?, not at all. I get how helpful it can be and how much back up it can provide. Do you need it on start up? No. Hand dose, do your tests, do your water changes then maybe get one. As stated by multiple people this size tank is gonna hurt the bank account. Heck this little set up cost a ton and I had the tank, stand, filter. I needed a heater with controller, ato, rodi, light, fish, corals, rock, sand, salt. I'm over $800. Granted it's all going in the bigger tank well at least I keep telling myself that.
Yeah the skimmer I hadn't started researching yet, was also eventually planning on a refugium but I know thats not until later down the line.

I am not super sure on the corals, my main focus is just having a successful tank the first time around and then as I learn and grow making changes with the experience. The one thing I am attempting to avoid is buying something and then buying another version of it because I wanted bigger etc, I will never go bigger than this size tank in my house and therefore I think find it more important (and I could be wrong here) to do it right the first time to avoid the cost of buying the same thing over and over again!

I think I had something around 5-8k in mind for this size tank but judging off responses I might be a little on the low end with that. Keep in mind when I give that budget I am talking more in initial setup, knowing I will likely add and fix things as time goes on (which makes your point about that apex very valid I think)

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy luxury items for a first time build? mp40's are a joke in my opinion due to the costs but some people are obsessed with them. Apex is not needed and is arguably bad for new reefers. Get sump panels rom fiji cube and make a sump. Pre made sumps are waaaaay too expensive for what you get imo.

Nutramar Foods

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old adage of $100 per gallon should give you a rough estimate. Understand though that that figure can be less if you look for deals on used gear, or conversely, easily double (or triple) if you go top of the line with everything.

Pro tip: expensive does not always equal "best", and inexpensive does not always equal "cheap". Happy reefing!
When I set up my current 200g tank 9 years ago I figured on about 10k and was close. Thats just for tank and all the hardware and lighting . Livestock was a whole other story lol. Even the tank is probably double now so $100 a gallon is probably close now.

twentyleagues

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:haha ok yes,I I think I will go with real reef rock after both of your suggestions
I went with "seasoned" rock from the lfs 6.99/lb because I needed it up fast and I knew that's the best way to do it asap. As for my build it's getting Marco I've got 180lbs but I want to "scape" it and that's the best stuff to do what I want. Is lr better sure. Will lr go in with the Marco? Probably. You can't beat lr for keeping the inhabitants healthy...as long as there is nothing lurking in the rock to inhibit that.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
vittpsu21

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy luxury items for a first time build? mp40's are a joke in my opinion due to the costs but some people are obsessed with them. Apex is not needed and is arguably bad for new reefers. Get sump panels rom fiji cube and make a sump. Pre made sumps are waaaaay too expensive
may I ask if I plan on this being a long term tank do you still hold the same opinion? I did think about DIY on the sump, but honestly I have enough house projects that with the tank I think I would rather just spend then do that part myself.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back