RBTA stung palythoa

Shoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I recently bought a very small BTA for my tank. It put its foot down right next to my palythoa. I noticed yesterday that the BTA was bothering the paly and planned on moving it today. I fed my fish some PE Calanus and while i was watching them eat, my BTA started killing my paly in-front of my eyes!!! I got the BTA to let go of the egg crate and it found a rock. But look at my paly!!! They’ve not been doing amazing anyways since i’ve been neglecting the tank! I have other inhabitants that are fine! Is palytoxin a worry in this circumstance? I don’t have any other tank to move this coral to.

B2A52323-B0C3-4059-B8EA-8B2AF548EBED.jpeg

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo get rid of the palys, I had those in my tank for 2 months and they started popping up in the most inconvenient spots, too invasive. as for the palytoxin, I ripped out a colony of those exact palys about triple the size of that and it had no effect on any of my other corals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo get rid of the palys, I had those in my tank for 2 months and they started popping up in the most inconvenient spots, too invasive. as for the palytoxin, I ripped out a colony of those exact palys about triple the size of that with my bear hands and then enjoyed a burger right after(washing my hands)… still here.
I’m not concerned about my health with palytoxin, i meant will the damaged palythoa release toxin into the water and poison my other corals?

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not concerned about my health with palytoxin, i meant will the damaged palythoa release toxin into the water and poison my other corals?
didn’t have any effect on my anemone, hammers, torches, gsp, zoas, or firework clove polyps. apologies for the misunderstanding.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll beg for something to kill those palys eventually lol. I'm not scared of the toxin and I keep palys but mostly because they are so invasive I can't get rid of them.

EDIT : Also I wish you luck getting a bubble tip to stay where you want it. That's another thing I've never been able to do.

OP
OP
S

Shoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll beg for something to kill those palys eventually lol. I'm not scared of the toxin and I keep palys but mostly because they are so invasive I can't get rid of them.

EDIT : Also I wish you luck getting a bubble tip to stay where you want it. That's another thing I've never been able to do.
Honestly i had no idea. This was the first coral i was given. Maybe i should try to sell it then lol!!

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i had no idea. This was the first coral i was given. Maybe i should try to sell it then lol!!
At least it's a nice bright green. I ended up with a bunch of ugly brown ones. I do have some green ones that managed to make thier way into my new tank from reusing rock. Maybe put it on a rock island so you can remove and prune if needed using caution and PPE of course. I have had them pop up in other parts of the tank tho so they can detach and relocate.
The ones in my new tank
PXL_20240716_180625698.jpg

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar neon green palys together with rainbow BTAs for years. They never bothered each other. Whether you want them or not is another matter, but they can coexist.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back