Razor shrimpfish with garden eels?

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I haven’t been able to find any information online about the comparability of shrimpfish with garden eels but am curious if anyone has any advice? I already have an established 40 gallon with several garden eels and a couple peaceful companion fish and they are fed liquid and dry food 8 times throughout the day, mysis being the largest of all the food, mostly tigger pods, ROE, rotifers, cyclops. The eels are doing well but I’m curious if I could add 3 shrimpfish in with them eventually?
I already add live copepod blends every month or so but would this be enough life food to sustain the shrimp fish to start at least until they eat dry/liquid foods?

Also could the garden eels and shrimp fish exist peacefully?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting mixture of fishes, one looking up and the other down. I don't think the eels would eat the shrimpfish but last time I guessed about something like this another OG reefer shot down my guess about a fishes dietary habits. Bump

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swaying Marine Life GIF by Oceana
This is all I got.

OP
OP
johnf3

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4501.jpeg
IMG_7332.jpeg
IMG_5775.jpeg

Here are a few photos! Been planning on taking full tank photos but haven’t gotten around to it because I’m battling a bit of GHA currently. I have a few spotted eels and one golden banded (very partial to him)

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4501.jpeg
IMG_7332.jpeg
IMG_5775.jpeg

Here are a few photos! Been planning on taking full tank photos but haven’t gotten around to it because I’m battling a bit of GHA currently. I have a few spotted eels and one golden banded (very partial to him)
Sweet

Thank you

May I ask, How deep is your sand bed?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I haven’t been able to find any information online about the comparability of shrimpfish with garden eels but am curious if anyone has any advice? I already have an established 40 gallon with several garden eels and a couple peaceful companion fish and they are fed liquid and dry food 8 times throughout the day, mysis being the largest of all the food, mostly tigger pods, ROE, rotifers, cyclops. The eels are doing well but I’m curious if I could add 3 shrimpfish in with them eventually?
I already add live copepod blends every month or so but would this be enough life food to sustain the shrimp fish to start at least until they eat dry/liquid foods?

Also could the garden eels and shrimp fish exist peacefully?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Yes - that mix works fine, we've had an exhibit of these two species for many years. Two hints - shrimpfish do better in groups greater than 3, and don't buy any shrimpfish if its tail spine is missing or damaged (those always die for me).

Getting the shrimpfish accustomed to eating chopped mysids is not always easy. We have adult brine shrimp that we raise and gut-load with HUFAs to help in case they don't make the switch right away.

Jay

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4501.jpeg
IMG_7332.jpeg
IMG_5775.jpeg

I once considered a GE tank but that was when a deep sand bed was just being experimented with for nitrate reduction in the plenum. I was too scared of trying to maintain a dsb with eels in it.

I have never seen these things in the wild but I think that would be interesting to see and observe how they interact with the substrate and each other and predators and prey in the wild.

If you get the shrimpfish I hope you will post some pictures. Will you have an urchin for the shrimpfish to hang with?

OP
OP
johnf3

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that mix works fine, we've had an exhibit of these two species for many years. Two hints - shrimpfish do better in groups greater than 3, and don't buy any shrimpfish if its tail spine is missing or damaged (those always die for me).

Getting the shrimpfish accustomed to eating chopped mysids is not always easy. We have adult brine shrimp that we raise and gut-load with HUFAs to help in case they don't make the switch right away.

Jay
Ok great thanks Jay!

Would a 40 gallon breeder with deep sand bed and shallow rock work be alright for a school of 5-6?

OP
OP
johnf3

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once considered a GE tank but that was when a deep sand bed was just being experimented with for nitrate reduction in the plenum. I was too scared of trying to maintain a dsb with eels in it.

I have never seen these things in the wild but I think that would be interesting to see and observe how they interact with the substrate and each other and predators and prey in the wild.

If you get the shrimpfish I hope you will post some pictures. Will you have an urchin for the shrimpfish to hang with?
It’s been a bit of a challenge but tons of fun getting the tank figured out. I will say garden eels are known for having a high mortality rate so it sadly is sort of survival of the fittest usually.

I already have a short spined pink urchin but plan on getting a black spine as well!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great thanks Jay!

Would a 40 gallon breeder with deep sand bed and shallow rock work be alright for a school of 5-6?
Yes - that’s fine, the eels need more space than the shrimp fish do.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back