Radion what does the Mobius RF module do?

wish2snowboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
New to the lighting scene, I've picked up some Radion xr30's, I think gen 3. In EcoSmart Live I see they are eligible for the Mobius RF module. What does that actually do for me? Does that mean I will be able to control them directly from my phone? Or will I still need another controller of some sort as a go between?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from memory so this may not be 100% correct. When I ran ESL some devices would say mobius ready or compatible (can't remember exactly). Those could be upgraded to mobius via ESL with no hardware replacement needed. If they didn't say they were mobius ready the RF module needed to be upgraded. The old module is green and the new one is black. There may be some older devices not upgradable but I'm not sure. Basically if you upgrade to mobius you then can and have to use the mobius app on your phone or other device. Those devices you upgraded can be downgraded back to use ESL. Newer devices are mobius only per ecotech support. I have mixed feeling about mobius. The app randomly changes date and time. Pretty annoying waking up at 3 am with the lights blasting because the app thinks its noon. This doesn't happen a lot but it's often enough that I no longer run radions and only use mobius for vortechs. To my knowledge this has been an ongoing issue and has never been addressed. Also another setback is that mobius is bluetooth only not wifi so you have to be within range to make changes. My other lighting apps are the same so not really a negative but no more changing settings when I'm away. There are also settings that just plain do not work on android. I can not remove a tank which has to be done before a device can be moved to another tank. It does work on ios but if I didn't have an old iphone laying around I wouldn't have figured that out and I probably would have scrapped all of my ecotech gear. The only reason I even bothered with mobius is because I had 7 vortechs and needed to add a couple new ones and they are only mobius compatible. Sorry for being so negative but for the price they charge for thier products the app should work at least as well as the other lighting apps I use. I also use the my Ai app, reefbreeders nexus, and noopsyche k7 app.

OP
OP
W

wish2snowboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from memory so this may not be 100% correct. When I ran ESL some devices would say mobius ready or compatible (can't remember exactly). Those could be upgraded to mobius via ESL with no hardware replacement needed. If they didn't say they were mobius ready the RF module needed to be upgraded. The old module is green and the new one is black. There may be some older devices not upgradable but I'm not sure. Basically if you upgrade to mobius you then can and have to use the mobius app on your phone or other device. Those devices you upgraded can be downgraded back to use ESL. Newer devices are mobius only per ecotech support. I have mixed feeling about mobius. The app randomly changes date and time. Pretty annoying waking up at 3 am with the lights blasting because the app thinks its noon. This doesn't happen a lot but it's often enough that I no longer run radions and only use mobius for vortechs. To my knowledge this has been an ongoing issue and has never been addressed. Also another setback is that mobius is bluetooth only not wifi so you have to be within range to make changes. My other lighting apps are the same so not really a negative but no more changing settings when I'm away. There are also settings that just plain do not work on android. I can not remove a tank which has to be done before a device can be moved to another tank. It does work on ios but if I didn't have an old iphone laying around I wouldn't have figured that out and I probably would have scrapped all of my ecotech gear. The only reason I even bothered with mobius is because I had 7 vortechs and needed to add a couple new ones and they are only mobius compatible. Sorry for being so negative but for the price they charge for thier products the app should work at least as well as the other lighting apps I use. I also use the my Ai app, reefbreeders nexus, and noopsyche k7 app.
Thanks for the info! Though there are a few negatives it sounds like, I really wouldn't be losing anything. Currently using ecotech live the time keeps getting messed up on me so that's nothing new and currently I can only make changes by bringing my laptop out and connecting via USB so being able to do so from my phone would make things a lot more convenient at least. I also have both Android and iPhone so no trouble there. I just went ahead and ordered 2 of the modules, came to $70 after shipping. That's worth it to me just be able to connect without pulling out the laptop and cord.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old module is green and the new one is black. There may be some older devices not upgradable but I'm not sure. Basically if you upgrade to mobius you then can and have to use the mobius app on your phone or other device. Those devices you upgraded can be downgraded back to use ESL. Newer devices are mobius only per ecotech support Sorry for being so negative but for the price they charge for thier products the app should work at least as well as the other lighting apps I use. I also use the my Ai app, reefbreeders nexus, and noopsyche k7 app.
Just for reference..

(4) Finally, you are able to determine if your device is Mobius compatible via the serial number stamped on your device. Check the first 2 digits of your device's serial number, and reference the guide below.

01-39 Not Compatible
40-49 Ready
50-57 Not Compatible
58-72 Upgradeable
73-95 Ready (unless built prior to 02/17, devices prior to 2/17 are Upgradeable)
1x2z
Devices containing both letters and numbers are Mobius Ready

OP
OP
W

wish2snowboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, checked both of mine and they are eligible to be upgraded. I wasn't clear on whether the upgraded board would allow direct communication from the Mobius app or if it just allowed it to talk with some other controller as the middleman. It seems to me that it will allow direct communication so I went ahead and ordered the upgrade chips

OP
OP
W

wish2snowboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle man is your device thats running mobius, android or apple.

Definitely a good upgrade.
That's perfect, exactly what I was hoping for. That's easily worth the $70 after shipping for 2 chips to not have to pull out my computer and stand over the tank while I program it

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back